Does your kitten sleep with you?

januaryg31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 month old kitten and he is very loving but also a very typical kitten. He is up all night running through our apartment and always thinks it's time to play when it's time to sleep. He also jumps on me and bites me while I'm trying to sleep. In order to get some rest I have not been allowing him to come into the bedroom at night. Is it mean to do this? I sometimes feel bad because I know he wants to come in.....he will start to whine at the door periodically until the morning. I thought he would eventually stop doing that but it has been about a month now and he is still not used to the idea of him not being in the bedroom at night.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ceci sleeps where she please. Last night I believe she slept under my bed. Shes is still adjusting and is a bit wary but she has been meowing all night long. Its kind of annoying but I just say SSHHH and she leaves me alone and settles down.

Her foster mom said that if she has any unwanted behaviors (i.e. jumping on inappropriate surfaces) to use a spray bottle to ward her off.

If thats not too cruel you can do this a few times when you want to sleep and your kitten wont let you.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When he matures a bit he'll settle down. Try playing with him just before bedtime to tire him out then settle him in with you when you go to sleep. This worked with Bijou.

Please do not spray with a water bottle. If you get ANY water in their ears they can get a bad infection.

tlea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,...Yes,..ususally mine do sleep with me,...but I do also have a special play time before its bedtime,..& then,..they usually are pretty "tuckered out",...which is great for all of us,...lol,...They make me laugh SO hard,...& make me so ...happy,....all of my babies do though,...lol,..,..My husband sometimes thinks I am alittle bit on the nuts side,...when it comes to all of my "furry children',..but then,...he will pay attention to them for awhile,...& see what I mean,...lol,.He is the type that when he comes home from work,..all he really cares about is the tv,.remote & his recliner,...lol,..he works so hard though,...
I wish I could figure out how to post some pics,...I will just have to keep trying I guess,...I can forward them from my cell phone to an email add,...but thats as far as I ever get them,..lol,...: TLEA

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our kiteen is just shy of six months. We always let him sleep with us although he would bother us a lot. But a couple of weeks ago, we left him alone in the house by himself for two nights, and since coming back, he lays in bed with us at night and pretty much leaves us alone! I am certainly not suggesting to leave your cat alone, but I am inclined to think this has something to do with the way he has settled down, or perhaps it is just because he has gotten a little older and mature...

tlea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your Persi,....is adorable!!!! ,..Yes,.I agree with you growing up alittle bit & settling in,..has alot to do with them wanting to sleep when its time to go to bed too,.lol,...,..TLEA

ericanicole

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep stewie in a spare bedroom at night, he is bonkers at night.
Once he settles down he can roam the house at night.
My adult cat Mikey sleeps with me...he's has his own two spots on my bed. By the end of the night we both are all over the place.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think any cats sleep through the night do they?? I know kittens are crazier and all, but my cat is 2 and she can't stay still at night time at all

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats sleep with me I have at least 3 of the 5 in bed with me. Even as kittens I let them come and go as they wanted. Often they woke me up early. As they have got older they sleep right through the night.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are bundles of energy! Also cats are nocturnal by nature and they sleep in the day and stay up at night to hunt.

What you need to do is get your kitty on the same sleeping schedule as you. On one of your days off shower him with attention all day! That means waking him up when you see him sleeping in order to play with him. It also means seeking him out of his hiding spots when he finally decides to get away from you for a nap. Again, wake him up to play with him. By the time your bedtime rolls around he'll be falling asleep on his little legs, but he will sleep!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily sleeps with me. She is pretty calm though and sleeps threw the whole night. Annie Rose probably would like to sleep on top of me all night long. But Lily hates the other cats so the other cats dont go in my room. Kitten adn Bagheera run around all night long like your cat.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo sleeps with me. She does kitty massage on my arm for up to 1/2 hour before bedtime, then curls up right next to me with a few headbutts occasionally.

she was on one of the bed's pillows this morning.

sometimes we also nap together in the afternoon. she often puts her paw in my hand. I really miss not having the little furball in the bed when I have to travel.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is 7 months old -- he sleeps under our bed at night. In the morning (usually waaaayyyy too early) he will come up on the bed and either lay on my chest or my back and want to be petted (for about 20-30 minutes). This drives me crazy because the rest of day he will never sit on my lap!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mosi is 9 months old and he's always 'slept' in the bedroom (I got him at 14 weeks). I didn't get much sleep myself for months due to him being hyper at night but I knew he'd settle down eventually. He's been much better for about a month and either sleeps on the bed or under it, climbing into bed for cuddles when I wake up or when he hears the alarm go. He's been a bit of a pain the past few days waking me up at 5am, but he's much better than he was. They don't sleep all night when they're little.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats sleep with us to.. Or with my daughter.. I usually have either all 4 of them in bed with me,, or 2 of them in my bed.. It just depends. The kittens definately don't sleep through the night.. None of them do,, except my angel.. She just is lazy, and she's afraid someone will take her spot which is laying on the backside of my legs.. It's like going to a concert without assigned seating for her.. She's there like 2 hours early to get her prime spot.. And she won't move for that reason.. She protects it too.. Alex slept between our pillows last night.. and Chessy slept at my feet, and Kella.. I've no clue where she slept probably in one of the pet pillows..

They never sleep soundly,, there up and down all night,, but kittens are worse.. It's just gonna take some time for her to calm down a bit...

msrpavao

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Vader, is about 13 weeks old and I've had him for three. I don't let him sleep with me either or come in the bedroom when I sleep. He has too much energy at that time and doesn't keep still or quiet. The first couple of days he'd stay outside of the door and meow, but he just does his own thing now during the night. I live in a one-bedroom appartment, so I just let him roam free in the living/dining room and the kitchen. He has plenty of toys to keep him busy. In the morning when I open the door he runs in and runs around and under the bed
he likes to wait under there and paw at my feet if I walk by!

Besides that, I don't want him sleeping on my bed b/c I'm afraid I'll roll over and squish the poor thing!

Magda

patch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Patch always sleeps in my bed at night. We play with him LOADS from 8pm until I go to bed, then he's always soo sleepy. He just follows me upstairs, jumps on my bed and he's gone :p He does wake me up at about 4 every morning chewing my toes and wanting to play, but I just ignore him and he goes back to sleep.

I don't think it's cruel keeping your cat out of the room, aslong as there is somewhere comfy for them to sleep they will be fine

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Patch

I don't think it's cruel keeping your cat out of the room, aslong as there is somewhere comfy for them to sleep they will be fine
It's only cruel to the humans
- they miss out on all that wonderful bonding time with their kitty. I know I sleep better when Bijou is cuddled up with me.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It's only cruel to the humans
- they miss out on all that wonderful bonding time with their kitty. I know I sleep better when Bijou is cuddled up with me.
I love having mine snuggle up at night too. But when I got Polly, she kept us up all night the first two nights chasing our feet, literally, all night. Had that continued much longer, I really would have had to lock her out. I love my girl, but I need my sleep!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

januaryg31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of your responses it's greatly appreciated. I'm hoping that in time he will get used to not sleeping with me at night. I have had kittens before and I've always let them sleep with me....up until now when I've developed allergies and when he sleeps with me they act up. He is very hyper and I play with him when I get home from work and right before bed to try to tire him out but he never seems to get tired. He will lay down for about 5min. and then he's up again running like crazy and tearing the house apart. He has a problem bitting me (which is another reason why I don't let him in the bedroom at night) and jumping up on the tables. No matter how many times I tell him No and try to redirect him to his toys when he bites he doesn't seem to listen. I've also tryed time outs, using a spray bottle, and blowing in his face but nothing seems to phase him. I know most of this is normal kitten behavior, but he just seems crazier than any kitten I've ever had in the past. I'm hoping in time he will calm down.....he's so cute and cuddly when he wants to be....hopefully he will be like that more often when he's a little older.