Votes: 50 82.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

bflatblues

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only two of our six boys still keep their collars on; our two youngest. We started each of them off with collars (bells and bling to boot!) but mostly just to find them as the little fellas do get lost behind furniture and large appliances! The older ones have somehow gotten them off and gave us complaints about trying them back on again. The small guys seem to love their jingles and diamond paws and hearts. They are all indoor-only cats with tons of lovely windows to perch themselves at. 

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes! just in case they ever sneak out, somebody will know they're owned. i had that happen once with fuzzybutt, too. plus being able to hear them when they walk around is nice, i always know if they're into something or running towards the door. princess hated her collar to begin with and slipped out of it several times but eventually got used to it. fuzzybutt wears blue, princess wears gold, madonna wears pink, and as soon as he's old enough, cheese nip will wear red. PLUS, some kitty collars are too cute to resist?? i love picking them out tbh haha.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do, I broke my left shoulder in 2 places last fall.  I need to know when Katy is underfoot, I can't take a fall like that again.  The collar has a little bell on it.  Love that feature!

Last edited:

bflatblues

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To mazie ...Oh dear!  There's the purrfect reason to have a collar on an indoor pet!  Hoping you're all healed by now and not having recurrent pains.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Bflatblues, I am fine now.  It's just that at my age, early 60s, osteoporosis, one can't be too careful.  My problem is, sometimes I forget I am not a young kid anymore.
.  I appreciate your concern, though

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got my sympathy, Mazie. I'm older than you and also have spinal stenosis, which makes it difficult to walk sometimes and I'm unsteady on my feet. I've had a couple of close calls stumbling over Mingo. Frankly, I'm more concerned about landing on him and hurting him than I am for myself. Just like a crazy cat person. 

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've been having a big problem finding collars.  They're all the breakaway ones that are so poorly manufactured they fall off within seconds of being put on.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Beasty Bands. And now they come in an endless number it seems of wonderful beautiful designs.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've been having a big problem finding collars.  They're all the breakaway ones that are so poorly manufactured they fall off within seconds of being put on.
JMJimmy JMJimmy

try Beastie Bands! They are stretchy with a soft lining and they have a velcro closure. They will slip off over the cat's head, or the velcro will come undone if the cat gets caught on something.

If you order from Robin's pet club you can pick the colors and designs :)

https://www.robbinspetcare.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Beastie

elliriyanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Emma wears and collar and has since the vet said she was old enough. she is also microchipped. I personally just feel more comfortable knowing she has an ID and such on her at all times. And the collar shows at a glance that she has a home. 

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ally wears one, Tigger always wore one but Opie's collar would be kicked under the door every morning I went to let them out of their room. So one cat does one does NOT...both run everytime the door is opened. They will run to their room everytime I open the front door

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor only cats, balcony access or walk on a leash.

Never wear collars inside unless supervised all of the time, to many scares finding collars stuck in their mouth from licking their chin grooming inserting collar into their mouth  :(   (if anything weird is going to happen it will happen to us) some do it some don't,  if I tighten the collar up it's very tight on a small kitty.

To go outside collars/harnesses they walk around property and nearby so know where doors, windows are able to find home if they ever get lost outside, they mark territory so OK in case of emergencies. 

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you 100% Dreamer Rose, as one Crazy cat lady to another  (why is it I cannot find a wink, wink emoticon when I need it?   Maybe I just can't find it.  Is there one members?? Please advise, thanks. )

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm with you 100% Dreamer Rose, as one Crazy cat lady to another  (why is it I cannot find a wink, wink emoticon when I need it?   Maybe I just can't find it.  Is there one members?? Please advise, thanks. )
 Sorry. No. 

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tigger doesn't wear a collar because she never wants to go out BUT Sam Adams and Salem do wear collars all year round Just in case they do run out the door unnoticed. Salem also has a chip. Sam Adams is getting one implanted this month. Added security.

katthedork

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My indoor cat wears a collar, but I don't have a bell on it. I'm moving to an apartment soon so I will probably add her tags to her collar in case she gets caught outside. I've also been putting collars on her since she was a kitten in addition to harness training her, so she has no problem with either one.

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rayna & Rhett don't wear collars, although I do have a couple. They both were micro chipped when I adopted them. Neither tries to run out the doors when I'm doing chores, one of the reasons I haven't started walking them. It's nice not to have to worry about them running out the door when I'm busy & my hands are full.

Last edited:

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No collars on mine. I tried once and they hated it. I left it in for a few weeks (maybe months?) and when I took it off, it left AN INDENT in their fur. Anyone who has collars on theirs should take a look and see just in case the collar might be too tight. I've heard stories where some get accidentally choked from them from getting caught in places that the cat tries to squeeze through. Be careful everyone who does have collars on their cats.

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that is why most people use the break -a way collars. I purposely keep ours a little bit loose. Tigger always wore his but Opie never would. Hubby said 'honey he is like his mom he does NOT wear his jewelry to bed." we would find it pushed under the door every single morning..Main reason was we had a quaker parrot at the time and the bell would always warn  the cat is coming..I check mine often it  has never made a place in their fur...

bflatblues

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good thought, GROOVERITE ! I just checked and there is no indent made in the fur of the two boys who will keep the collars on. My vet has told us that as long as one can fit two fingers (without forcing) between the collar and the neck of the cat, that's ample room so they aren't strained. I've had to replace both kitten collars on my guys as they got bigger. And STRICTLY break-away collars in this house, if any at all. Four of our guys won't have anything to do with collars anymore. They're all indoor guys so this doesn't upset us.