Votes: 50 82.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No, Artie does not wear a collar. I live in an apartment building. The floor I live on is secure, so if he gets out, he will have to stay on this floor, unless someone deliberately opens the stairwell door, the fire escape doors, or the elevator. 

I tried, at one point to put a nice collar on him, just to 'pretty' him up, but he hated it. 

I am thinking that if I ever had a cat with dark coloring, I would have to put a reflective collar on them because my eye site is so bad without my glasses ~~ you know how much cats hide!!!  

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, all of them with info tags. Most of them are microchipped as well. Each cat is a different color (Jilly is pink, Gizmo is blue, Smoochie is orange...etc)

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope.  When Archie and Lucy were kittens, I tried to put collars on them in case they snuck out.  Archie refused.  Like a little Houdini, he would escape from the collar within seconds.  What's especially funny, is that as soon has he removed his collar he would run to Lucy and pull her's off too - as if to say, no collars for us; we will not be owned.  We repeated this ritual for months before I finally gave in.  Now they roam the house collarless.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Following this thread because I'm curious too.

My 2 indoor cats don't wear collars but I just ordered 2 Beastie Bands to try out.

I know that collars are beneficial in case one of my cats ever escapes then there is a better chance of return. I just hate how collars leave a little collar mark on their fur. My cats are long hair cats so it puts a little dent in their fur.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get Robin used to a collar, but with a stubborn herpes flareup, I don't want to stress him too much. He doesn't hate it, doesn't even try to pull it off, but he looks like he's having a bout of claustrophobia when he wears a collar. As a kitten, he had an indentation, like somebody put a flea collar on him and it grew into his neck. Not sure. He's got a fat neck now though lol.

Getting the bells off is a total pain!!! Who else takes them off?

I want to get him microchipped as well.

You can see just a bit of the collar in this picture, along with his reaction ( freezing up). (And very grumpy lol!)

The collar was extremely loose in the picture, but it's one of the stiffer kinds; I have another that's softer, but the bell is attached very tightly.
But he looks so handsome with it on:

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm trying to get Robin used to a collar, but with a stubborn herpes flareup, I don't want to stress him too much. He doesn't hate it, doesn't even try to pull it off, but he looks like he's having a bout of claustrophobia when he wears a collar. As a kitten, he had an indentation, like somebody put a flea collar on him and it grew into his neck. Not sure. He's got a fat neck now though lol.

Getting the bells off is a total pain!!! Who else takes them off?

I want to get him microchipped as well.
I keep the bells on. Especially on Sophie- my escape artist who also has a very impressive vanishing act. It's a very small bell. Sometimes I wish hers was a cowbell. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the bells on. Especially on Sophie- my escape artist who also has a very impressive vanishing act. It's a very small bell. Sometimes I wish hers was a cowbell. :lol3:
How does she sleep if the bell rings every time she moves? Just curious?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It really doesn't ring every time she moves. Usually only when she is running and sometimes walking.
Agreed. My cats have always worn bells because if they made a mad dash for the door you could hear the bell jingle. They make no sound at all when they are walking around the house. Cats quickly learn how to silence any  bell and how to move without making the bell jingle. Even when Carrot rolls around on the floor his bell stays silent.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my cats wear collars with ID tags and their rabies tag and they are indoors only.

Indoor cats who have medical conditions that require daily medicine or other treatment definitely should wear a collar with a medical ID tag as well as a regular ID tag, IMO 
You never know if a cat will somehow sneak out the door, probably more of an issue with a house than an apartment building. I particularily like these medical pet IDs. The regular ID tag should also include the vet's phone number just in case the owner can't be reached. A found pet can be taken to the vet's office to be given medicine and to wait for the owner.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine wear collars, but I do remove the bells.  I joke sometimes that I got Autumn a hot pink collar just so I can find her (she blends in amazyingly well with my comforter).  And Domino (who is black and white) just looks so dapper with his bright red collar.  TV has a black-and-white houndstooth.  Circe has a green and pink plaid, but you can't hardly see it.  Cosette's is pink with daisies.  All of them have a heart shaped tag with the name, address, and phone # ... just in case they did get outside.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ruby used to wear a collar because she escaped constantly. It's not a problem in our current home, so I took it off after we got Jasper because it seemed unfair for only one of them to be wearing a bell.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Speedy does not wear a collar, but the reason is out of the ordinary.  She is an indoor cat and is microchipped.

I took care of my Dad who became totally disabled from a massive stroke in 2001.  He was always a cat lover and at the time, we had a wonderful kitty, Rachel.  As my Dad did all his life, he always put his fingers under the collar to make sure it wasn't too tight.  I remember him telling me this when I was small, that I should make sure a cat's collar was never too tight.   Well, because of the stroke, my Dad lost his ability to speak.  But he still was crazy about his Rachel and every day, I would see him take his unaffected hand and slip his fingers under her collar.  He couldn't talk, or walk, but this was his best way he could take care of that cat.  When he passed in 2010, I took the collar off of Rachel and placed it with him, under his fingers before I said my final goodbye.  In the years since, I have lost Rachel, too, but I am sure that my Dad sent my Speedy to be with me.  It is too sad for me to put a collar on Speedy, but she doesn't seem to mind.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both my girls wore collars until Noodles started trying to groom hers off. She was over-grooming her belly already and then she started in on her chest trying to reach the collar.  I took the tags and everything off; but it didn't help. So Noodles is collar-less.  I wish I could put hers back on; but she's happier.  Mooch still wears her pretty pink collar.  It has a damask/vine like embroidery on it that glows in the dark.  Noodles needs one like that.  She blends right into the shadows!  They both have Christmas collars too.  

buddy keeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never!! When I lived in a house, kitty was taught that the WATER MONSTER lived on the outside. One good attack of THE WATER MONSTER. (Quick blast of hose, in front of not AT cat.) He would not venture a paw outside even when door left open. He even meowed when he saw us outside. Maybe THE WATER MONSTER would get his humans!!
Now I lived on 6th door of apartment.

buddy keeper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
BTW. Margory Stoneman Douglas ,champion of the Everglades, refused to support radio collars for Endangered Florida Panthers.

Her cats did not like collars so she figured the C

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, all of them with info tags. Most of them are microchipped as well. Each cat is a different color (Jilly is pink, Gizmo is blue, Smoochie is orange...etc)
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one that color codes my cats!! [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji] I do it in case anyone ever has to come over and take care of them in my absence. Hard to tell the black ones apart and want an easy way to identify the ones with health issues (actually ordering medical alert tags for these guys soon [emoji]128563[/emoji].)