Does your Feliway diffuser get really hot?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot.

My Feliway diffuser is really hot to the touch. I leave it plugged in 24 hours a day, should it be getting this warm?

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I wasn't sure where to ask this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot.

My Feliway diffuser is really hot to the touch. I leave it plugged in 24 hours a day, should it be getting this warm?
I don't know if it should be getting that warm (you wouldn't think so) but I had one a couple months ago and it was hot to the touch and actually smelled like the plastic was burning. I considered it a fire hazard so I tossed it. Losing pets in a house fire once was enough.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

I don't know if it should be getting that warm (you wouldn't think so) but I had one a couple months ago and it was hot to the touch and actually smelled like the plastic was burning. I considered it a fire hazard so I tossed it. Losing pets in a house fire once was enough.
That's what happened to the last 2 diffusers I had. I refuse to use them now. You are supposed to buy a new unit every year, but the last one was NOT used for 1 year. Maybe 6 months. At most. And they aren't cheap either.

I use Rescue Remedy instead if I'm having issues now. RR won't burn the house down.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get hot at the top (if they didn't, they wouldn't be working correctly) but only at the top.

I have 4 and I've been using them for about 18 months now.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two plug-ins. One of them gets MUCH hotter than the other. I stopped using them because I was afraid that perhaps they may start a fire. The Feliway did work great for my two cats however.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a little scary that so many people are having this issue, but it's nice to know I'm not alone I guess. These aren't old diffusers either, I've had one for less than a month and the other for 2 months. I thought maybe it was my crappy apartment outlets but I guess not. The whole diffuser unit gets hot.

I do have some Rescue Remedy coming in the mail, so at least that is hazard-free.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recently bought a multi cat a Feliway unit and had it plugged in for a few days and noticed it was getting warm. I was nervous it might start a fire so I unplugged it. Is it suppose to get warm in order for the liquid to be circulated into the room?
I noticed the forum was started several years ago so I hope someone sees this conversation and can reply.

Thank you

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I recently bought a multi cat a Feliway unit and had it plugged in for a few days and noticed it was getting warm. I was nervous it might start a fire so I unplugged it. Is it suppose to get warm in order for the liquid to be circulated into the room?
I noticed the forum was started several years ago so I hope someone sees this conversation and can reply.

Thank you
They do get warm to the touch. That’s what makes the liquid diffuse into the air. But they shouldn’t get extremely hot. I’ve read reviews where people have had trouble with them, and I can see how that might happen. I’ve used them for years—both the Classic and the Multicat—and never had an issue, but I do keep a close eye on them. If I had one that got really hot, I’d toss it.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine just got warm. I gave it to a friend after my cats got acclimated to my new apartment and she's not been having trouble with it. It shouldn't be getting hot though...at least that was not my experience.