Does your cat use the litter box when you clean it?

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

If I overhaul it... in clean it all out and wash and re fill with fresh litter...Trout will jump in asap.
Yeah, Blossom does that too. I mostly put some carb soda in & she's always about to jump in, I have to be quick & get the littler in before she uses it.

onetruedestiny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats will bat at the pooper scooper while I'm cleaning it and use the litterbox as soon as I'm done, then the other uses it after that. It's so annoying haha

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Yep  I have my older girl Floey who always hops in to pee after swapping out litter or when I am scooping it. She also does her pee business outside on the lawn but only when i am with her-I don't know if its because she is showing me mommy look you dont have to clean up after me or if she is marking her territory. I dont mind her doing her business outside. So every afternoon i walk her like a dog to see if she wants to do her business. 90% of the time yep she does. I even keep extra bagged soil around the tree that she prefers to go..Its one less mess I have to clean. Floey is 16  almost 17. She has been like this her whole life. She's my dogcat :)

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It can be infuriating for us, but it is normal behaviour. Often it is the alpha cat who marks the litter first, to claim ownership. And after all, don't YOU like to use a clean toilet rather than an unflushed one! Cats are very fussy and clean animals.
It makes so much sense now--Cosette (the youngest cat of my five, and also a tortie for those who believe "tortitude" is a thing) will be first in--sometimes when the box is only half scooped, she jumps into the clean side and uses it--and then I (or whoever is cleaning--each person is responsible for a box) have to wait for her to finish so that we can finish scooping.  I've taken to closing the door to my room (where one box is located) just so I can get it completely scooped before letting her at it again.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear Pea-Pea runs for the litter box for one last pee / dump before I clean it. Other times, she goes while I'm in the process of scooping.

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never thought about it quite like this before...

Before I've even reassembled the litter box Andy dashes in to "break in" the new litter. One minute he's not there, the next he's getting his business done. One time I made my son clean the box. He emptied it out, scrubbed it down, and as he was carrying a new bag of litter over to the box Andy jumped in, squatted, defiantly looked my son in the eye, and peed on the bare plastic. He is always the first to use the freshly cleaned box.

However, Jake acts like it's a sand box. He more than buries his business. To him it's an art form.

Toothless is the midnight pooper. She only uses the litter box when no one's around.

Last edited:

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg it doesn't matter if Dallas went right before I clean it, he jumps in while I am on my hands and knees with the scoop and insists on going. I can keep on scooping around him and he will still sit there taking a poo.
At least my oldest Blair has a little more class lol

jackiebagels

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Too funny. My oldest cat Mew will just stare at me while I clean her litter box and christen it afterwards. My kitten Meko will try to play with the scoop and used litter! She's a playful one. :) 

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had no idea this behavior is so prevalent.  When I first brought Archie into the house (he was a semi feral), he went berserk every time I cleaned the litter box.  As soon as I finished, he would leap into the box and dig frantically looking for his prior deposits.  Litter flew everywhere.  Eventually, I discovered that leaving a small deposit in the litter box calmed him down.  This behavior lasted for several years before he finally agreed to let me empty the boxes completely.

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omg it doesn't matter if Dallas went right before I clean it, he jumps in while I am on my hands and knees with the scoop and insists on going. I can keep on scooping around him and he will still sit there taking a poo.
At least my oldest Blair has a little more class lol
My goodness!  My Pickles does this too!  LOL  Once she started going almost right on top of the scooper. She will follow me between both boxes and use the downstairs one as well even if it's just a piddle.  And she is also a crazy digger.  Litter flies all over the place.  I think I'm going to need to get them a rubbermaid soon as I already have the largest litterbox size available.  Pepper has occasionally gone right after cleaning but usually he is just watching in the background.  Especially with the downstairs box which is kept in the storage room.  He will sit on one of the upper shelves and look down at me.  Pickles will too but she is jumping from shelf to shelf and just being silly and crazy.  It's tough for me to see it as an Alpha thing though because Pepper usually acts like he is in charge.  If Pickles is lying by me on the bed and he comes up he will look at her and she will make way.  She will also snuggle up to him but he rarely comes to her.  Or if she is being silly around him while napping he will chase her out (not meanly).  When they play wrestle he usually starts it AND finishes it.  But Pickles is clingy and has to know what I'm doing.

kee and sephie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My last kitten, Pandora, had 2 litter boxes. I was cleaning one and had the bucket of new sand in the next room. I went to refill the litter box and low and behold...there was Pandora, pooping into the clean sand in the bucket! Guess she though it was way better than her box, lol.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! In fact, one of my Rainbow Bridge kitties, a blue point Himmy named Kepler, actually jumped up into the freshly cleaned box just as I'd go to move it back to its usual spot. Imagine the indignity of me, carrying a litter box, only to have a cat hop up in there and start having a poo right 6 inches from my face. She ALWAYS had to be first!

Good times!  

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
does NOT matter if she just went and I clean the liter box she will get in either pee or push out a  rabbit ball turd.. I think they must have their scent back in the box

dbljj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once had a house rabbit who was the same way was always trying to get back into the cage before i was finished cleaning it. animals are so darn funny about THEIR things, kinda' like us humans I guess..

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually love that my Speedy watches me clean the box and then goes right after it is clean!  It never bothers me because I know this is going to happen.  I'm happy that I'm making her so happy!  

inanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had
Once had a house rabbit who was the same way was always trying to get back into the cage before i was finished cleaning it. animals are so darn funny about THEIR things, kinda' like us humans I guess..
I had a lion head rabbit that would aggressively charge me every time I cleaned her cage or cleaned out her litter box. My experience is that rabbits are even more territorial with their space than cats.

Last edited: