Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Does Your Cat Trill?

Discussion in 'The Cat's Meow' started by VinceL, Jul 10, 2019.

1. VinceL

VinceL Thread Starter TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 2, 2019
    Newton, NC
    Our cat Clyde often trills when he is active (playing, running, jumping). His trill reminds me of tribbles from Star Trek.

les26, will2002, basscat and 2 others purraised this.

2. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    Lilith does. She is very vocal. She chirps, trills and "talks". Sometimes she sounds like a todder girl saying, "hello?" or, "mama?"

GaryT purraised this.

3. Boris Diamond

Boris Diamond Cat Valet Top Cat

Mar 27, 2015
    Boris trilled when he wanted belly rubs. Seal trills when he wants food. Diamond trills, but I'm not sure of the significance. :dunno:

4. mightyboosh

mightyboosh TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    Yeah, Oliver comes quite close, a mixture of, "Wah," purr and Tribble. I love the sound. Betty and Chubchub just meow.
    Betty actually clearly says, "No, no, no, no," if she's going to be sick.

5. Lola3791

Lola3791 TCS Member Alpha Cat

May 13, 2019
    Maine USA
    Lola isn't vocal. She sometimes trills and rarely meows. She'll trill if she's hungry or if she wants a belly rub.

6. susanm9006

susanm9006 Willow Top Cat

Feb 20, 2011
    No trilling. Willow mostly communicates with me via a closed mouth whine. But occasionally there is a meow or a hiss and howls or hisses when playing with toys.

7. Tobermory

Tobermory “What greater gift than the love of a cat.” Top Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Oregon
    Iris and Lily never trill, but Mocha does. And it’s funny that you mention Tribbles because I’ve often thought she sounded like them! :) Her trills are soft, high-pitched, and frequently sound like questions because they rise at the end. She was semi-feral when I adopted her a year and a half ago, and although she loves to be petted now, she still gets nervous sometimes when she feels like you might be restraining her in some way. She’ll give a little questioning, alarmed trill and skitter about a foot away. But she trills when she wants something, too. “Dinner time?” is her favorite question.

8. vince

vince TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jul 23, 2017
    metro Detroit
    Chesterfield almost never trills. Sir Eats-A-Lot trills, but not that much. Many of Meep's vocalizations are trills. She walks around trilling all the time. Ask her something, you get a trill. Pet her, you get a trill.

9. Maria Bayote

Maria Bayote Mama of 4 Cats, 3 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans Top Cat

Jan 15, 2018
    Doha
    My Barley and Bourbon thrill and chirp but not very often, particularly when they see something new outside, or when they get excited. They also very, very seldom meow and when they do I almost cannot even hear it. My neighbors have no idea I have cats in the house as they are both very quiet.

10. GaryT

GaryT TCS Member Super Cat

Feb 4, 2019
    Northeast USA
    Theodore trills a lot. He makes the "Prrrrtt" sound a lot when he is playing with me. Anytime the toy touches him I get his chirping sounds. He is VERY vocal and talks as well as trills and chirps. He also makes these sounds as he drags his wand toy upstairs every night. He gets upstairs and stands with the toy in his mouth making these noises telling me he wants to play.

will2002 and Docs Mom purraised this.

11. Jem

Jem TCS Member Top Cat

Aug 6, 2018
    All three of my cat trill, meow, chirp? (while bird watching)...There's usually someone talking unless they all happen to be sleeping at the same time.
    Why they vocalize...
    Food, attention, welcome home greeting, birds/chipmunks, fly or bug in the house, had a poop, want to play, during play, finished playing, jumping up or down on/from something...and many more unknown reasons.:dunno:

GaryT and Tobermory purraised this.

12. basscat

basscat TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 29, 2015
    Always called that "churdles". Same thing I bet though, sounds just like a tribble. And yeah, when he's content he does that.
    He whimpers (whines/cries) when he wants attention. (sounds like a puppy whimpering)
    He churdles when he's content.
    He barks when he's wound up. (again, sounds just like a puppy bark, but, just one bark)
    He growls, snarles, screams when he's agitated.
    He can't meow though, or any form of it. And he can't hiss.

will2002 purraised this.

13. Graceful-Lily

Graceful-Lily *Alien* Top Cat

May 30, 2016
    Orbiting the Earth. . .
    Wow, I had no idea there was a name for this. Felix has been doing this for years and we always find it funny. He's very vocal. He does it when we haven't seen each other for a while and bump into each other in the house. He does when he smells my face in the morning and I finally open my eyes. He does it when I call him and he comes to me or when I tap him on the shoulder. It's really cute. I've also noticed that he ends his trills differently. Like, sometimes, he'll look at me and it'll end on a low note. I take that as him saying, "Okay!" or something like that. If he's just seeing me if I went out for the day or something, the trill ends on a high note followed by a rolling meow or head butting.

will2002 purraised this.

14. les26

les26 Sylvester's daddy Top Cat

Nov 19, 2015
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    At times Sylvester will when he sees me and he does a little "hop" jump and tries to lead me to his food bowl in hopes that I will give him treats!

It usually always works! :D :p

Graceful-Lily purraised this.

15. Sidewinder

Sidewinder "Say what, crackerhead?" Adult Cat

Jul 12, 2019
    Cochise Stronghold, Arizona
    Ah, this must be what Phoenix does every morning at 0400... her way of telling me it's time to get up and make breakfast. She keeps it up for awhile too, since I refuse to get up at that hour, especially if I have a hangover. When I finally haul myself out of bed and start getting dressed, she does it again, rubbing against my legs and generally getting underfoot as I alternately pull clothes on and pet her. Once we're all in the kitchen, the trilling changes to straight-up meowing, as if---AS IF---she's starving, LOL. Neither one of the other kittehs makes this trilling noise, only Phoenix, so I always know it's her in the dark. It's actually an agreeable sound as I get dressed... not so much at 0400. :confused:

les26 purraised this.

16. misty8723

misty8723 TCS Member Top Cat

Jan 16, 2006
    North Carolina
    RB Kitty Cindy had a beautiful little trill.

17. Sonatine

Sonatine TCS Member Alpha Cat

Apr 1, 2018
    Both of my cats are very vocal. They meow to me in greeting. Millie also meows to demand things, and half the time I haven't quite puzzled out why Mischief is meowing. Mischief gives little trills whenever she jumps on or off something. Millie does the same when she jumps onto a surface behind me (I like to think of it as a greeting of sorts), but less so when just jumping onto random surfaces.

It's such a cute sound.