Does your cat smell like poo here is some info

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello parents of kitties!! I am here to share a little insight of stinky kitties! Couple days ago I took my 3 month old kitten to the vet because he smelled like poop constantly. And I’m talking about a heck of a smell. Like to describe it, it straight up smelled like he was carrying a pile of his poop around. And where ever he was smelled like he pooped there. My kitty sleeps on my chest and well when I would smell it, I would hold him up and look at his bum. but find no evidence of poop on fur. So I would go get a baby wipe and wipe his butt. I would have to change because I smelled poop on my clothes. he would smell fine for about 30 mins and I would have to repeat. I’m like man is this normal? I never had a stinky kitty before. So went straight to google. And seen so many reasons. But one I came across was anal gland problems in dogs.. I was like can cats have this issue too? So first thing I did was call the vet. And to my surprise yes! although it is not a common thing, but it can happen. So I made my vet appt and yesterday we had went. And they took him to the back did there thing and told me his anal gland sacs were full we expressed them. He had quite a lot in those we cleaned him up for you. And told me about a supplement for cats to keep them from doing it again if it becomes a reoccurring issue. And so far so good no stinky booty no more! he sleeping on me like he is a baby again. And everyone is happy. So if you got a stinky kitty here is your answer! It’s not normal. and your cat could be in pain! especially if the sac ruptured ,it can get infected making a fishy smell come from your cats bum. You will have to take your kitty to the vet get them expressed then you can give your cat the supplements to keep it from reoccurring my vet did this for 15.00 I hope this helps. much love to all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catwoman1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to add that when he took a poo in his litter it had stunk so bad that you smelled it in every room! Even my other cat was offended, and tried to keep covering his poop like she was burying a dead body! lol but once his glands were expressed it was normal poo stink.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting this. Anal glands are very often overlooked in dogs and cats, I suspect in cats more than in dogs. They can progress as well, which I am glad did not happen to your baby, and become impacted with means that the animal needs a minor surgical procedure to open them and heal the infection. You definitely did the right thing to get your cat to the vet and get to the "bottom" of this problem.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And told me about a supplement for cats to keep them from doing it again if it becomes a reoccurring issue.
There are some cats that are prone to having their anal glands fill up - for some it is because their poop is soft and doesn't effectively press against the glands for natural expression. Another aide to natural expression is cats keeping themselves 'clean' back there. The licking helps with expression.

But, I have never heard of this supplement your vet advised you to use - you might want to share the name of the product so that others can try it as well!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can also just empty the anal glands yourself. I do this with one of my cats on occasion. My cat more or less holds still but other cats won't let you mess around back there so you may need an extra pair of hands to help hold the cat. The vet can show you how to do this. There are plenty of videos and articles online you can look at as well.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Indy has the opposite problem. Her glands go off when she's really happy. She also skunks if you pet her low on her belly.

It smells horrible. She's like a blue skunk.