Does your cat let you touch their - paws, tail, belly? Do they mind being held...

catwomanbahrain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have around 25 cats and can't find a single cat out of them with a similar traits of another. Each of them is unique and has his/her favorite places and ways to be touched. I have a couple who would start biting if i touch thier tail more than once. I have a couple who would grab me by their nails and pull my hand towards their belly to get attention and tell me in a way what they want. (ouch! Thats painful i know! But im against declawing, always worried if they run out it will be the end of thier lives)

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have four cats.

Paws: Socks will bite you. The other three do not mind and sometimes even purr.

Tail: No complaints at all, they seem to like it.

Belly: Socks only lets me do it, anyone else gets bitten. Izzy will sometimes, but other times she is playing and will start kicking with her back legs. Mittens doesn't mind it. Amber loves it and purrs and kneads the air.

Held: Socks hates it and hisses and makes unhappy noises until put back down. Izzy and Mittens do not mind, but sometimes wriggle to get free. Amber hates it, and turns into a squirming ball of claws.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats love belly rubs which to me is odd, they don't mind me touching their paws but would rather I leave their tail alone, they like to move their tails slot to show their moods.
A history of cats in my life a lot of them did. It appreciate the belly rubbing, when getting to know your cat pet and scratch but be aware of body language and accept what they do and don't like, don't force it. Both you and your cat will be happier

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten doesn't like having her belly touched, but I am trying to desensitize her to letting me rub her belly.  It's looking like she is going to have the type of adult coat which will mat on her belly and back of her legs, and she is going to have to let me either brush her regularly...or I'll be having to cut out mats if she won't let me brush so that mats don't form.  One way or the other, I am going to have to "mess with her belly", whether she ever enjoys it or not.  I'm lucky she lets me touch her at all since she's a feral cat.  She has tamed down pretty quickly.  I can pick her up and hold her for a little while.  She likes for me to pet her head, back and sides most of the time, and she's a snuggle-bug at night.

My senior cat loves belly rubs and he likes to be petted, brushed and loved on everywhere but usually only for a few minutes several times a day, then he's done.  If he chooses to sit on my lap, he'll sit a long time.  Of course he has short fur that never has had a mat and would never mat even if I never brushed him at all.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Charlie will let me hold his paws and pet his tail... he doesn't particularly like it though, so instead I go with petting him on top of his head... that's his favorite! He does not let anyone get near his belly, even though he likes to roll over to show everyone how soft and furry it is! He tolerates being held... but not for more than 5 minutes!

anankee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Marley doesn't really like to be picked up at all and will tolerate it for up to about a minute if I hold him in a certain position (the same position he would be in if he was laying on the floor). He would much prefer if I call him and he walks himself lol

For the first few weeks he didn't really like being petted but is slowly coming around and enjoys it in small doses

As far as touching goes he's happy for me to touch him anywhere except he HATES if he gets poop on the fur near his behind and I clean it off. that's the only place he is never keen on (understandably!!)

lalalara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a first time cat owner so I didn't know what to expect from my Jiji. She LOVES to have her belly rubbed! She will flop on the floor in front of me just for a belly scratch. She isn't too fond of me touching her paws but she has never lashed out at me over it either.

banbury

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of my boys are great for being touched and held, as long as they don't have the crazy zoomies then everything is fair game to play with! They both like to be held on their backs like a baby and have their chins scratched. One LOVES to have in between his shoulder blades scratched roughly, the other thrives on any amount of human contact. They also both seem to like having their paw pads tickled and flex their toes to have the whole foot done.

On the flip side, my family had a singleton foster failure cat (fostered as a kitten at 3.5 weeks) who wouldn't tolerate being held for more than 5 seconds without squirming or biting. Surprisingly he wasn't the too bad when I trimmed his nails. We always joked around it was a good thing he never went back to the shelter because his behavior was all over the place

cholena87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my cats are different about petting and holding.

Kaylee is more often happy to be petted, loves the base of tail and head/cheek scritches but less so a belly rub. A Kaylee belly rub is a very special event. She's less keen on being picked up, but tolerates it for a minute or so. 

Simon is less often happy being petted, same base of tail and head/cheek are good, but when he wants cuddles he is ridiculous. He always wants morning cuddles, and will wait until I wake up then walk over to me. I'll lie on my side, he'll lie with his back to me (at chest level so his head is on my arm/pillow) and then he wants belly rubs. Lots and lots of belly rubs. And he rolls on his back and purrs his slightly dysfunctional purr. Silly boy! 

It's hilarious reading everyone's comments and how different they all are! Whoever says cats don't have personality has clearly never spent any time around them!

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cleopatra likes me to massage her neck, and pet her head.
Don't touch her belly though.
Back paws she don't like touched either.
Picked up, NEVER!!!
If she laying on my chest or side when I'm in bed, I pet her face, and she gently bites me and purrs.
If I rest my hand on her front paws, nope, her paws have to be on top.
As many times as I put my hand on her paws, she pulls her paw(s) out, and the have to go on top.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk