Does Your Cat Get Jealous?

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola does. She hates it when I'm giving any sort of attention to Rosie (Golden Retriever). She'll glare at me, her expression saying "You are a traitor and I will kill you in your sleep." :oops: That look is very unnerving.
So, do your cats get jealous if you are giving attention to a person or pet?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone has accepted the fact this his sister Gracie is an attention hog. He doesn't get jealous although he will occasionally try to squeeze in an open spot on my lap for some attention too. Normally, he's content to lay to the side and suckle on my shirt until he falls asleep.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes. Lelia was my cat and Sparkle my husband's before we moved in together, so sometimes when Lelia notices Sparkle on my lap she'll come over to poke her/cause trouble, like "hey, that one's my human!"

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola does. She hates it when I'm giving any sort of attention to Rosie (Golden Retriever). She'll glare at me, her expression saying "You are a traitor and I will kill you in your sleep." :oops: That look is very unnerving.
So, do your cats get jealous if you are giving attention to a person or pet?
I've been in the exact opposite situation. When my family still had Belle and Beau, we received a beagle mix puppy. Gracie remains the most jealous dog I've ever known. A cat would jump in someone's lap, and she'd rush over and start barking. Once she'd chased the cat away, she'd try to take their place. We always put her right back on the floor.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yammy will actually bite one of the others on the butt to move them if they are in his 'spot' on my lap. If I start petting one of them and talking 'nice', the other two come running and milling about, they all LOVE attention!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo gets jealous of Lily, who is a naturally affectionate cat. She has slept with me and cuddles on my lap. He will take it out on her later by attacking and biting her. I've been trying to give him some extra attention and that seems to help. After seeing her curled up in my lap a lot, he has finally gotten over his fear of being caught and has ventured into my lap. Of course, I don't grab him, and now he does it more often. Long ago, before I got Lily, he used to sit at my feet, doing slow blinks and making yearning motions. I had no idea what he wanted, but now I do see that he wanted to jump into my lap, but was afraid to. He gets less jealous of Lily now that he has lap time too.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hima gets jealous over my iPad. I use iPad a lot, I read books there too. Normally I drop it down when she’s awake but she still gets irritated to see my attention on it. Especially if it’s on my lap. She had a “OK this is it!” moment just the other day...

Mocha tries to push my iPad off my lap with her nose so she can take its place! :lol:

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eveliina definitely gets jealous.
She has had all of the love and attention to herself for 8 years. In July, we welcome Augustus - our Bullmastiff x English mastiff puppy into our family. I must say, she has been great with him, but she still gives us the glares when he is getting some attention. In the beginning, she would come up and steal cuddles from him. So now, they’re starting to cuddle with us together.:lol: