Does Your Cat Ever Meow Around The House For No Discernable Reason

Does your cat have existential angst?

• Total voters

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird My Tarifa is the MOST affectionate, friendly, loving--and fierce huntress! She knows I'm hopeless at hunting and she provides us "prey" almost daily. I praise her much when she does this.:hearthrob::dancingblackcat::hearthrob:

@artiemom Oh! Our beloved angel Rani did not "meow" -- she "ikked". I loved when she did that! :heartshape:
View attachment 284043
It’s so nice to have Tarifa set the table with sparkle balls for dinner! Lol I am a terrible hunter too! No mice at the table though. :lol:

My Lambie went Mbaaaaa!

@artiemom eeek eeek! Lol Good kitty Geoffrey!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the cobalt vase! I see beautiful little “dancing lady” orchids in there!
I must say that Tarifa makes the best centerpiece. I think all dinner bells should meow.:lol:
TYSM, Jcatbird Jcatbird -- but this one doesn't meow, "it" yells. You'd never believe the volume from this little cat. She's very talkative, too. Always has a lot to say. Sometimes we carry on long conversations.
That vase is from a moving sale our neighbors down the road in the Mojave had. I really like it, too, thanks! And the orchids? *Michael's* ;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How come everyone else has these beautiful cat centerpieces!? I had this guy:
:lol: Lovely! Funny that I notice someone eyeing a tasty plate of food. Hmmmm. Trading tummy pets for treats? I’d take that deal.

Willow rarely meows at me. I mostly get a close mouthed whine when there is something she really wants. But she wanders the halls day and night meowing, howling and even hissing at imaginary somethings/nothing’s. She is an odd girl but I love her.
She is guarding you. Warning any possible intruders to stay away! A Security guard cat! Not odd, extraordinary! :)

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
With my 3 babies, there usually has to be a reason for making noise. 2 of my cats chirp when I look at them and to get my attention. My Buddy shakes his head up and down a few times when I look at him. All of them meow right before I put their food down on the floor. They're all so precious. How can some people not like cats?

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Salem when she was only 4 1/2 weeks. She was still on formula and needed extra care. So, at a young age, maybe 3 months or so, she figured out the more distressed she sounded, the faster I came to check on her. The first time she did it, I swear it felt like my heart about exploded and I came running, thinking she was dying. Now at one year old, Salem will yeow with increasing volume just because she is a little bored. She sounds like a beached whale. I am waiting for the day one of our neighbors calls the police thinking that I am strangling my cat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Salem when she was only 4 1/2 weeks. She was still on formula and needed extra care. So, at a young age, maybe 3 months or so, she figured out the more distressed she sounded, the faster I came to check on her. The first time she did it, I swear it felt like my heart about exploded and I came running, thinking she was dying. Now at one year old, Salem will yeow with increasing volume just because she is a little bored. She sounds like a beached whale. I am waiting for the day one of our neighbors calls the police thinking that I am strangling my cat.
I had a Siamese once that believed that unrelentless loud meowing was the best way to ask for anything, get my attention or let me know that SHE WAS NOT HAPPY. I often thought the same thing that someone would call the police because there had to be animal abuse going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mer.kitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thats hilarious. "I know how to get the human moving: meeeeeOOOOWWWWW". :D

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only one of ours who meows for no apparent reason is Burdock. Sometimes, he will stalk around the house, especially if nobody is sitting down, meowing, then he will sit by my chair, as though he is saying, "Hurry up, I need a lap to occupy."
I bet that’s exactly what he is telling you. He’s been waiting...... :lol:

With my 3 babies, there usually has to be a reason for making noise. 2 of my cats chirp when I look at them and to get my attention. My Buddy shakes his head up and down a few times when I look at him. All of them meow right before I put their food down on the floor. They're all so precious. How can some people not like cats?
Buddy shakes his head up and down? That is so funny! He’s giving you a nod of approval! It’s so nice to be acknowledged! ;) I’d like to see that.

Banjo decided to “play” her vocal instrument the other night. She was expressing her displeasure at the fact that I left the house and had a cat sitter with the kitties for the day. If her tone of meow hadn’t tipped me off, her facial expression would have.
3C77DB30-FBE6-43CB-9154-E77EDC130AEB.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bet that’s exactly what he is telling you. He’s been waiting...... :lol:

Buddy shakes his head up and down? That is so funny! He’s giving you a nod of approval! It’s so nice to be acknowledged! ;) I’d like to see that.

Banjo decided to “play” her vocal instrument the other night. She was expressing her displeasure at the fact that I left the house and had a cat sitter with the kitties for the day. If her tone of meow hadn’t tipped me off, her facial expression would have. View attachment 285901
Oh boy! I'll bet that what Banjo was saying- in cat-speak, of course- was vile, obscene, and unprintable.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo goes down the hall or into one of the unoccupied rooms when we are in another area of the house and meows like a banshee. He rarely does it in the room we are in. Almost always either early morning, or at night (mostly at night). Funny thing is that if I yell "shut up Gizzy" from whatever room I am in, he stops. For the record, my "shut up Gizzy" isn't out of anger. It's almost like a game we play. Like he just wants to be acknowledged from afar and then he's fine. But that's my humans take on it ... who knows what cat's are really about. On top of that, he's psycho anyway.