Does your cat cover their poop/pee?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meffy is very careful so she would cover it fully to a mound. Meimey is strange. She would dig and dig and dig but doesn’t cover up after doing her business. Maybe she thinks she dug a very deep hole 🤣 Yeah, so sometimes the poo is all exposed if I don’t check to cover it for her. It’s been like this all the while.

How about your cats?

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one furbaby that scratches the wall and the litter box and even the floor as if he is covering his business completely. However, he doesn't cover it and for a long time he scratches to let me know he just went. He is a smelly boy too at times 🤧

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Barley has very smelly poop and does not know how to cover. Instead, he would also scratch the walls of the litter box instead of the litter sand which frustrates me. However, one of my cats would help me with this predicament. My Graham would usually come next and cover her siblings' poop/pee.

My Bourbon also does not know how to cover, although among my cats she is the one who does not want to use any litter boxes that already has poop/pee. So, I have to clean them first before my senorita diva cat uses it.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a cat adopted very young from the humane society, about 6-7 weeks old. He never learned to bury his waste but would diligently scratch all around the box.
I think his age maybe was a factor when he was adopted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had a cat adopted very young from the humane society, about 6-7 weeks old. He never learned to bury his waste but would diligently scratch all around the box.
I think his age maybe was a factor when he was adopted.
I believe this could be the cause. Meimey was picked from the street when she was barely 5 weeks old. So I guess, mom cat hasn’t taught her yet.

Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Yes! The wall scratching is amusing. Like..girl what are you doing? She paws here and there but missed her target.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, I think Casper is trying to dig to Australia! ;)

He always covers his deposits. In fact, he covers them so well, I often have to sift through the whole box to find them.

Then, of course, there's the obligatory Victory Lap around the house! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Caspers Human Caspers Human Lol…is that when they run across the house right after “placing a deposit”?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup! Every time Casper makes a deposit he sprints out of the bathroom, through the living room and, sometimes, up the stairs as fast as he can go.

I know why cats do it but it's one of those things that will never stop being funny, no matter how many times he does it! ;)

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my current cats is very specific about where he wants the litter. He covers his waste but moves all the litter to one side of the box 🤔 not sure why but that's how he likes it.

The second cat was from the street at about 5/6 weeks old. I recall one day he was in the box scratching about but had not covered his poo. I was watching him and so was my adult cat. The adult cat looked at me and then looked back at the kitten.
As I was doing nothing, he hoped in the box, bopped the kitten on the head and proceeded to show him how to bury the poo properly.
So in that case, training was taken care of 😎

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat covers it about 50% of the time... I think sometimes she knows I'm going to clean it up immediately anyway so she doesn't bother.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia always covers, and sometimes will cover Sparkle's, I think. Sparkle is one of those who scratches the side of the litterbox and thinks she's covering up.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie is good about digging a huge hole to pee in and cover. poop not so much she makes a huge mound of litter to poop ontop of which then gets scattered when she buries it(means i get to sift through all the litter )

jisaacson214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ember will scratch literally everywhere BUT where she needs to in order to cover her poop. Her poop is quite odoriferous too! Thankfully Grembly will come in & bury it for her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby's another who scratches at the side of the litter box, trying to cover her deposits. She does sometimes end up getting some litter to cover, but more often than not, she doesn't. She does usually do the "victory lap", though, when she's done. :catman:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha and Iris are very tidy cats. They poop or pee, then turn around and neatly cover it up. Lily? Not even a pretense of covering it up. She goes, then hops out and walks away without a backward glance. I always know it’s hers because it’s out there for the world to see. Mocha will actually cover it sometimes. :lol:

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have one cat who digs and digs until he has a nice deep hole with a mountain beside it. Then he stands in the hole and poops on the mountain. Covering afterward is hit and miss.

Zanther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad I’m not the only one. My boy sometimes will cover and other times won’t. For the most part he’ll cover his pee but poop is very hit and is with him in his litter box. The other box that belongs to the elder cat seems to be more buried but it could just be her covering up for him.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats bury. Kabby is a corner peer and creates a wet mess in one corner defeating the purpose of clumping litter.

Indy used to bury but I think she has learned that it's perfectly fine to not from Kabby. She does still fling litter all over the front of the box though.

Both boxes are hooded. My cats won't use an uncovered box. Can't say I blame them, I wouldn't use a bathroom with no door.