Does your cat come when you call it?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MIttens does.  Obi only comes if he hears the sound of food.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I can call any of our six cats and that cat will come (except for BooBoo, who is deaf). They all know their names and they will come to me when called. Sometimes more than one cat will come, but that's only because there just might be a treat involved in whatever is going on, and they want to make sure they got one, too.

I count heads before I leave for work in the morning. If I can't find a cat, I will call her. She'll come out to me and say, "What?" Then I usually have to give treats out; I would never call a cat for no reason. So if I call, I can't just say, "Oh, I just wanted to know where you were." They'd never forgive me.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL, that is quite the track record.  How did you ( and others) train your cat(s) to come when called?  If a cat is 15, is he too old to be taught a new trick, like the famous dog?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You mean our gang, myrnafaye? It was actually quite easy. Once they know their names and everything is good that way, and I start to call them for anything, I will give a treat. Cats will do anything for a treat. I will never call a cat to come if I don't mean it, so to this day, when I'm counting heads and need to call somebody, that cat will get a treat. 

When Mollipop and then with Tabby, too, was a kitten, we figured out her name and I always used her name when talking to her. Same with the other cats, When I'm talking to a cat, I will constantly use that cat's name. I don't say, "kitty, kitty"; I always use that cat's name. So that's what he or she responds to. We didn't do that with Hydrox (didn't use his name much). I always called him Pudder, more than anything, so that's what he responded to. So with this gang, I learned that they need to hear their names out loud and they need to know that's what their name sounds like. I call them and they come.

Muffin was Mom's cat and she really didn't know her name that much. Mom called her Muffy more than anything, but she never really came when called. I thought about renaming her when she came to live with us, but let it go. She was going through a lot at the time, trying to adjust to being one of eight furkids instead of an only furchild and we were doing some renovations in the house and it was just a busy time. I don't really care for the name Muffin for a cat, but that's just me. That's what Mom called her (well, like I said, it was, "Muffy" most of the time). So when she came to us, I just constantly called her Muffin...."Muffin, you're so pretty." "What a pretty Muffin you are!" "Muffin, let's play with Da Bird." Things like that, constantly saying, "Muffin" this and "Muffin" that.. I'd start to call her and then give her a treat. And now? I just say, "Muffin! Muffin, come here!" She comes and says, "Yeah, whaddya want, Mom?" Yes, our cats will usually give a chirp when they come to us, I guess, just to let us know they're responding. All of our cats are talkers, probably because we talk to them all the time,

I would think a 15-year-old can be trained, as long as they can still hear you well. Talk to them, constantly using their name. I really think they need to know what their name sounds like in order to understand. Keep using the cat's name. And then start calling him or her. When it comes, reward it with a kibble or two. He needs to know that coming to you is a good thing and you keep it a positive thing.

Our cats respond to certain words and phrases. Say "Treat!" or "Lunch!" in our house and the cats are going to come running. If I ask Molli, "Are you ready?" her eyes get big; she knows that means "Are you ready for a snack?" Tabby knows that if I say, "Really??" it means are you really ready? And she'll come out to the kitchen, talking the whole way. Ms. Pepe knows those words, too, now.  And BooBoo is deaf, but we have sign language....if I put my hands together three times and then crook my finger, he'll come to the kitchen for food. He will actually sit on the back of the couch and he will watch me, just to see what I'm going to do, if I'm going to feed or what. He just became deaf within the last year and he already taught me that....and he's over 18 years old. So yeah, your older cat will learn and easily. Boo and I figured out sign language...he's deaf, so we needed something different.

Rick taught Hydrox to sit up and beg when Hydrox was quite young. He also taught him to shake paws. As Hydrox got older, it was harder for him to sit up and keep his balance. But to the day he died, that boy would sit and stick his paw out for a good shake. 

Last edited:

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obi sits up for his food, and used to fetch.  What  a great story, Winchester.

catmum22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well trinity was my good girl came when I called her but not anymore if I want her inside I have to carry her but maple comes to the click of the fingers especially when she's outside unfortunately it took longer to get maple to stay in the yard so she learnt the hard way with not listening and would just get a small smack when she jumped the fence and back inside but now she knows and is very good, she doesn't always come though when I call her if where inside and trinity only comes when there's hugs to be had or food and she's not outside and maple always comes for food cause she knows her feeding times so yer answer maple listens to me when she's outside and trinity listens when she knows she might get to snuggle

stormy224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 of them do, most of time.  However, my 7 year old Calico usually just looks at me for a minute when I first call her name, then pretends to ignore me when I keep calling her.   But if I call her name and add the phrase "want some food?" then I definitely have her attention.  :p 

wendy56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three female kitties and are sisters..they come when I call their names, even if they are in another room..they love it when I am laying on the floor and all three will surround me for attention..

if the time comes when their times come, I will always have more than one and realize they like the company with each other, but will get them together at the same time.

right night I enjoy having them here and enjoying their company and love them very much!

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of our six cats know their name. Whether they come when called is completely up to them 
. Most of the time though, they do. Nel, my youngest will come from wherever she is when she hears me calling. Even just enough so that I can see where she is then either comes to me or goes about her business. She knows when I'm looking for her and makes sure I know she's safe!

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the Rogue always comes, whether called or not, to see what's happening. He definitely comes when I say "treats". 

Grisou usually comes when called, only yesterday the little charmer opened a not-quite-firmly-shut window and escaped into my yard. There, of course, it was against cat law to come when called.

Rascal comes when called if he's hungry or wants attention.

Oberon looks at me when called. He'll come when others come to see what's happening

mommasandi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine does - IF he wants to!  He loves to be chased. I can no longer run but he'll sit and wait for me to get just so close and zoom off he goes again! 

wendy56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, all of my babies come when they're called!
I was chatting with someone today and they said they don't like cats because they don't care about humans and don't come when they are called. All three of our cats know their names and will often come individually when they are called. Does anyone else find this to be true. Granted I cheated in the begining by giving them treats when they came
         my kitties come too and when it's time to brush them., all 3 of them  all get close at the same time to be brushed..if they are not in the room, I just tap their brushes and they come running

I made them an outside enclosure and when I open the gate, they wait until I tap the canned food and they race to the back door for supper and come in the the nite.

tabbycatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats come when I make the right clicking noises, but we have never had a cat who responded to his/her name.  We may not have trained them to come to their name, but it never seemed that important, at least to them.  I honestly do not believe that cats have the same ability to process language as dogs do, but that is no diss on cats.  Having lived with both species, we are convinced that cats are far more intelligent even if language isn't that important.

What we find more fascinating is cats wide range of vocalizations, which is clearly more meaningful than our dog's one note bark.  (Yes, we love the dog, and she lives a great life, but, she is just not a cat.  We frequently think that we should have named her Odie.)

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Isabel comes when called.  I use her name often.  Well I just plain talk to all of my pets alot and address them by name.  

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oddly Bentley does. And he always meets me at the door when I come home.
Yet when I tell him not to do something he ignores me or rolls over and meows. Then continues to do as he pleases. Lol

People said spray him with water? Yyeeaa I got and angry meow and he laid down and glared at me and continued. :( I gave up.

But hey he comes when called! Lol

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are noticing three of the cats do look and/or come when we call their names.
It just started recently, where they really, really look and come since being fixed, where we are really noticing it.

Mew, the one we were told talks and comes when called does not. Never has.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both cats answer to their name.

But they were outside/abandoned cats.

When I put food down they ran to the plate as I called the name.

Eventually they moved inside ,so they knew their name.

Whats funny is,now they go outside for playtime or hunting,sunning etc.

If I want them in say a storm is coming I holler "SMOKE", "COOKIE"!!

If they arent ready to come in they come to the door sit and look at me,as if

to say "Nowww????Really??"

Im lucky to live in a beautiful,cat friendly area where they can get around pretty safely.

ocelot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also just saying their name every time you pet them repetitively until you drive yourself crazy so that they 'get it'. It's also about the tone of your voice.. you could call them something different in the same usual tone and they'll come. They know your voice anyhow.. For some reason animals respond to the kissy sound. When I lost my voice I couldn't call my cat so I just made the sound (I can't whistle either.. :S embarrassing) and she came running straight away. They can also read your expressions to a degree from living with you for so long so if you look at them a certain way they might come to you.. or become scarce if you give them the evils lol.