Does your cat come when you call it?

maura larling

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten comes everytime she hears me speak so...Also when anybody else is busy cuddling with her and i walk pat she gets up and follows me LOL(aka my brother is pissed at me cus i do this everytime he's cuddling with nidalee)

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, esp if it's bedtime. But if I ignored him (for any reason) earlier in the day, he'll keep me waiting. [emoji]128580[/emoji] He does know what "follow mommy!" means, though. I'll wave him on with my hand..he learned that one pretty fast, too.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a couple that did, especially certain one that we had "songs" for. Not sure how to explain that, we just had songs we'd sing though and those cats would come running. 

Even without the song, Lucky would come running from wherever he was when I called him. I used to freak out that he'd neak out, so there were many "calling for Lucky" sessions. And of course at bed time, you could absolutely count on him coming to the bedroom when called. More often than not, he was preceding me there.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Robin does. It might take him awhile, but he generally will mosey on over when he hears his name.

Lol sorry hadn't realized I had already answered this.

Last edited:

angeldust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of our Blue Point Siamese come when they are called.  Twinkles, our eight year old, follows my husband wherever he goes and calls for him until he comes inside.  Then she either jumps on the counter or the sofa and tries to pull his hand toward her with her front paws.  They both play fetch like a dog.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard from many sources (usually scientific literature) that can't simply can't recognize words in themselves.... RATHER... they can recognize tones! If you can comes when called, you probably say their name in a consistent tone :) My cat's name is Ghibli.... pronounced "GIBLEE" and just for fun sometimes I will call him by "Bibkee" or "Kiblee"-- even "Jogee" and he will come :) if I say it in the same tone.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd not want to cross swords with the scientists, but I think they sometimes get it wrong.  I do know for sure that simply "Hekitty!" and "Hekitty Renee!" said in the exact same tones get totally different responses.  The first is ignored, and the second stops her in her tracks.  I do know that "where's your mousie?" gets me either a stuffed toy or a ball, "where's your goodie bag" gets me her bag of valerian.  "Bed time" sends her to the bedroom, and "treats" sends her to the side of the chair, where she is accustomed to getting her treats, no matter what the tone of voice is...although "KITTY TREEEEETS" will get her there at warp speed, so tone definitely makes a difference.  Maybe the problem is that the scientists are using cats under lab conditions, and the cats just don't care to respond to them.  Those in our homes have a bond with us, we talk with them, and they learn, and give a hoot.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and every single one of them come when their name is called. And I have 1 cat that understands a phrase and what

it means, I say "wanna a brush?" and she knows she will get brushed. I say "wanna go outside?" and I am nowhere near the door

and she goes to the door. I say "water" and she knows she has a bowl of fresh water. So, they can and do understand their

name and certain phrases, they are so much smarter than non cat owning people think they are. 

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And here is another thought as to the intelligence of cats. Here is a example of a thinking and solving a problem process:

Liberty Belle was playing with a rolling cat ball that went under the chair. She tried to paw it out from under and it did not work,

she actually looked like she was sitting there thinking. Then she jumped up on the rocking chair and made it rock, jumped

down fast and as the chair rocked she slid her paw in sync with the rocking, her paw went under out under out, and she

did bat that ball back out. So, she knew how to get it without my help. 

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I'd not want to cross swords with the scientists, but I think they sometimes get it wrong.  I do know for sure that simply "Hekitty!" and "Hekitty Renee!" said in the exact same tones get totally different responses.  The first is ignored, and the second stops her in her tracks.  I do know that "where's your mousie?" gets me either a stuffed toy or a ball, "where's your goodie bag" gets me her bag of valerian.  "Bed time" sends her to the bedroom, and "treats" sends her to the side of the chair, where she is accustomed to getting her treats, no matter what the tone of voice is...although "KITTY TREEEEETS" will get her there at warp speed, so tone definitely makes a difference.  Maybe the problem is that the scientists are using cats under lab conditions, and the cats just don't care to respond to them.  Those in our homes have a bond with us, we talk with them, and they learn, and give a hoot.
I've posted this before, but here's an article from Slate discussing the challenges of studying cats, specifically mentioning studies in which researchers tried to observe cats in lab conditions:

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...and_cognition_are_cats_smarter_than_dogs.html

The article also does a good job explaining why intelligence tests for humans or dogs can't accurately measure feline intelligence, because of the way cats evolved and view the world. There are some things that aren't important to the way cats look at the world, and some things that we don't consider important that are priorities for them. The downside is that it's difficult for researchers to get into their heads.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
'It's too bad that these researchers aren't willing to do "in-home" studies.  They wouldn't consider that scientific, I'm afraid.  I'm also afraid that's the only way they'll ever have any idea of what our cats do and do not understand.  Nice link.  Interesting and easy to understand for almost anyone.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

And here is another thought as to the intelligence of cats. Here is a example of a thinking and solving a problem process:

Liberty Belle was playing with a rolling cat ball that went under the chair. She tried to paw it out from under and it did not work,

she actually looked like she was sitting there thinking. Then she jumped up on the rocking chair and made it rock, jumped

down fast and as the chair rocked she slid her paw in sync with the rocking, her paw went under out under out, and she

did bat that ball back out. So, she knew how to get it without my help. 
I read an article several years ago, and I wish I could remember where and when, but a cat would consistently wait patiently at a mouse hole on her owners' stairs for one of the myriad mice (the home was over 100 years old and in the country...betcher butt there were myriad mice) to make an appearance.  One day, after waiting for some time, she went to her toy box and dragged out several of her catnip mice, all in natural colors although there were many in vivid colors, and placed them strategically around the mouse hole and leading up the stairs, where she settled to wait again.  Try to tell me that cat wasn't laying out decoys.

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I read an article several years ago, and I wish I could remember where and when, but a cat would consistently wait patiently at a mouse hole on her owners' stairs for one of the myriad mice (the home was over 100 years old and in the country...betcher butt there were myriad mice) to make an appearance.  One day, after waiting for some time, she went to her toy box and dragged out several of her catnip mice, all in natural colors although there were many in vivid colors, and placed them strategically around the mouse hole and leading up the stairs, where she settled to wait again.  Try to tell me that cat wasn't laying out decoys.
Yes, that cat was completely smart thinking about the process of the mice real and non real. Hearing things here

and there from what cat owners have seen is very interesting. I would love to read a book about such things

complied from cat owners experiences with their cats. 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Yes, that cat was completely smart thinking about the process of the mice real and non real. Hearing things here

and there from what cat owners have seen is very interesting. I would love to read a book about such things

complied from cat owners experiences with their cats. 
Well...write one!  Actually, you could start the "Cat's Are Smart" Book thread, and people could come and tell their stories.  Then they'd just have to be organized.  I'll buy a copu!

lmj1954

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I gave up on writing for publication. I submitted a true story about my first cat Toounces and it never got published. I saved a copy, here it is:

The title: The Herder

I hear all this ruckus in the back yard and go to investigate
and sure enough, there is Toounces my adorable blue eyed
white furball wonder causing the ruckus. She is sitting on the
fence with her hind end sticking up getting ready to
jump down and is being dive bombed by angry bluejays
that are tired of her getting up the tree to check out
the nest. After so many times you would think she would
learn, but she is always outside exploring. Her buddy,
Smokey the big gray rabbit was watching and was guilty
of his own adventures. What a surprise it was the day
Smokey joined the family to realize Toounces and him
would be such pals romping and playing so much. I went
back into the house to resume my dishwashing. Awhile
later I went out to put Smokey in his cage for the
night and get Toounces in, but neither of them were
there. I turned on the porchlight and to my dismay I
saw that Smokey had dug under the fence again to go on
another adventure. I walked around the neighborhood
looking for them and heartsick that I could not find
them and had to get home and to bed. I tossed and turned
all night, got up several times to look out the door
and spent many hours of worry for my beloved furry friends.
The next morning I went out the front door and to my
complete shock saw Toounces coming down the road doing
circles around Smokey, she was herding him home! She had
apparently spent all night by his side and likely all
night herding him back where he belonged. I quickly ran
over and lifted Smokey into my arms and thanked Toounces
for being such a good smart cat. I put Smokey in his cage
in the backyard and took Toounces in the house and gave
her food and treats and off to work I went. I was tired
all day but happy. These two mean so much to me, they are
loved family members. That weekend me and my husband
worked on the base of the fence so Smokey could only enjoy
adventures in his own backyard, and of course Toounces
was half way up a tree to get those blue jays riled up.
Yes, life was back to normal once again.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

'It's too bad that these researchers aren't willing to do "in-home" studies.  They wouldn't consider that scientific, I'm afraid.  I'm also afraid that's the only way they'll ever have any idea of what our cats do and do not understand.  Nice link.  Interesting and easy to understand for almost anyone.
As a PhD student who does a significant amount of research in the social sciences, I will say that Observational Data Collection or "in home" studies is actually very popular for studying pets and pet behaviors. If you want valid conclusions, I suggest reading published scientific journals rather than website articles. Unfortunately, such articles are often subject to bias and/or are not empirically based.

As a researcher myself, I can confidently say that since most of us have spent our entire academic careers learning how to avoid biases or non-neutrality in research, it is unlikely that animal behaviorists would fall prey to the obvious issue of measuring animal intelligence by human standards. Thus, it is unlikely that "researchers cannot get the idea into our heads". It is widely accepted in research that you cannot measure an animal's intelligence with standards of human intelligence. Studying animal behavior is not something that I specialize in, though.

My comment on tone recognition in cats really has nothing to do with the subject of intelligence, it is more so implying that they have a GREAT ear. To each their own, though. 

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No insult was intended, and I'm glad that, contrary to popular opinion, most pet studies are in-home.  As for cat's having a great ear, I swear mine can hear a bird fart through a closed window at 30 feet distance.  Also, she has distinct noises she makes for different type birds, well, generally size makes the difference.  Small song-birds gets a trilling chirp, Robins and the like get a mrrrp mrrrp sound and pigeons get an actual maow.  Crows, though, crows she gets frantic over, and hisses loudly.  Are there any studies you could recommend on how cats communicate with vocalizations?  I'd be most interested in seeing them!

catman001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is very kind with me. Also when I call her she turned around and come to me so I can played with her

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

As a PhD student who does a significant amount of research in the social sciences, I will say that Observational Data Collection or "in home" studies is actually very popular for studying pets and pet behaviors. If you want valid conclusions, I suggest reading published scientific journals rather than website articles. Unfortunately, such articles are often subject to bias and/or are not empirically based.

As a researcher myself, I can confidently say that since most of us have spent our entire academic careers learning how to avoid biases or non-neutrality in research, it is unlikely that animal behaviorists would fall prey to the obvious issue of measuring animal intelligence by human standards. Thus, it is unlikely that "researchers cannot get the idea into our heads". It is widely accepted in research that you cannot measure an animal's intelligence with standards of human intelligence. Studying animal behavior is not something that I specialize in, though.

My comment on tone recognition in cats really has nothing to do with the subject of intelligence, it is more so implying that they have a GREAT ear. To each their own, though. 
The link leads to an article in Slate, written by a science journalist who has written a book about human interaction with cats and dogs, who interviewed several animal cognition experts for the story. I know there's a vast ocean of garbage content on the web these days, but Slate really doesn't mess around when it comes to science coverage, and the story goes into detail about several of the points you've raised.

Reading scientific journals is great if you have the time and have the patience to sift through material that's inconsequential to non-scientists, but there are lots of great science journalists, and they do an important service by putting science in terms lay people can understand. These are people who are good at breaking down complex scientific ideas for the general public. Regardless, the author is taking a macro view and looking at cat cognition studies in general to highlight the need for more studies on cats, so this is original reporting that raises important issues.

It also mentions some interesting work using fMRIs that has looked at canine emotional responses, something that might be duplicated for cats with some fine-tuning:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...he-thoughts-and-minds-of-dogs-8390613/?no-ist