Does your cat come when you call it?

nicsd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I say Lucy's name she looks at me. Comes if I say "come". She also sits, stays, high fives and responds to no. If I say claws she retracts them. We're currently working on "get down" when she's on tables. She is 6 months old and I have no idea how I managed it haha!

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both of our cats come when I whistle because they know this means they get food.

However today our oldest, Rigel, has also started learning "Come" while we were on a morning stroll. I think eventually he may get it!

wa2ise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom had a nice "Heeeree kittykittykittykittykittykitty" "catcall.  [emoji]128571[/emoji]

When We had two cats I pointed out that we'd always get two cats to arrive.  She said that would be fine. 

newmamaof3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4 out of 5 do. Layla just looks at me like I have two heads.

felinebemine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat's are usually aware when the owners call them. If you call them too many times and annoy them they eventually ignore you like my cat Mango. I usually call her when I'm about to feed her or when I want to pet her, so she knows what to expect.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I call Tatiana, she will ignore me and not come.  If I call Snowy, Tati will come to see what I want with Snowy and how come I don't want her.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've already responded to this a few years ago, but some things have changed. Chynna went to the RB, and I have 2 additions to my family.

Abby (17 1/2) comes when I call her.  She's very clingy but she sometimes sleeps on my bed, or in her bed in the cat's room.  This girl definitely knows her name.

Spencer (5 years) knows his name too.  He also comes when I call "Where is my Boy!"

Katie (5 years) doesn't know her name exactly. I think she comes more to my voice than anything.  But it's partially my fault. She loves to cuddle, but only on her terms, and she doesn't lay still when cuddling. She's doesn't like to be held, and is always fidgeting and moving around, walking this way and that.  I love her dearly, but I don't really like cuddling her because I find it stressful, so I don't seek her out for cuddles like I do with Abby and Spencer.

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have too many cats to even try and call any one of them by name, though some of them do know their names when I use them. When we need to call the cats to us (even random strays we meet for the first time) we make a kissy noise and they always come running. Especially once we've fed them a few times and they associate that sound with food. Hehehehe...

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When mine was an outdoor cat, I'd open the bathroom window and call and she'd jump up on the sill and come inside. I never had to bribe her with food, but she's also a very attention hungry cat so knowing I'm paying attention to her is treat enough. I also talk to her a lot. When she's dozing and I address her by name (or talk about her to my boyfriend), she doesn't get up but her ears swivel towards me so I know she's listening.

My first cat didn't really have a name, I just talked to him with cat noises. He was so whiny. We had to shake a box of food to get him to come in usually.

I've found that most cats come to a high pitched kitten mew. I've convinced a lot of strange cats to come up to me that way, including a feral kitten that my neighbors were trying unsuccessfully to get to come out of the undercarriage of their car. It was so cute, it was looking all around me for where the other kitten was. (And then I caught it and it bit the crap out of me but I probably deserved it for grabbing a poor innocent kitten.)

hwydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have five and everyone of them knows their name and will come when called. Maybe we are crazy cat people, but we raised them like kids, we talk to them regularly and it seems to help us understand them, and them understand us.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have a pretty good response. We have never allowed the kitty kitty routine thinking it more important for them to know their names.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes...Macha comes whenever I call her name, she knows and she answered me back with a high pitch voice lol I love when she talks to me. Cats understand too ​when we call their names not only dog responds, I like dogs too but I am more crazy about cats, they are way too cute :-)

jlchriswi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not really; sometimes it seems like they're responding when I call them, but only when I'm in the kitchen and they think they're going to be fed.  But then again, they'll wander into the kitchen if I'm in there even if I haven't called.  They just associate my presence in the kitchen with food!

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My older cat used to respond to his name, but we're very inconsistent in what we call the cats. They both have a fist name, a last name, some nicknames, and get called "adorable kitten" and things like that in two languages, so I think neither associates any sounds specifically as their name much anymore. They will however generally come to "come here" and a specific clicky noise as well as a specific gesture.

paula freeman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To call my cat Snowball, all that I have to do is say his name and he comes running. He knows the sound of my voice.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I posted about Macha...

Mia would come right away  lol she's a tiny kitten but she knows her name.

Her meow is louder than Macha lol she's cute and very funny.

yaesu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty was 2 years old and didn't know his name. I called him and nothing.

What I did and worked for my stubborn kitty was every time I petted his head, I said his name. I'd stroke his head and said "Malloy". I'd pet his head 10-20 times and each stroke I said his name. Within a week to 10 days, he learned his name and now comes to me anytime I call his name.

If Malloy was just sitting around, I'd come up to him, stroke his head and say "Malloy". He learned pretty fast this way.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It just depends on what Hekitty is doing when I call her.  If she's not busy, she comes. But sometimes she is doing cat chores...you know, eating, drinking, napping in a reeeeeealy good sunpuddle, "playing the cello" (that one leg in the air grooming that they love to do when company is there), or playing with a favorite mousie.  If she's doing cat chores, the only thing that will bring her is a treat.

Now, years ago...try 55 years ago, I had an enormous gray tomcat named...well..Gray.  HE would come every time my dad opened the door and yelled, "HEY GRAY, LET'S EAT!"  You would see him come leaping across the sand dunes like a mad rabbit on amphetamines. 

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Buddy comes when he's called, he accompanies me onto the balcony without a harness, and most of the time I only have to ask him once to go inside ahead of me so I can close the door behind us. Along with the high fives, the harness training, and the way he tell me when he wants to play, we communicate really well.