Does Your Cat Brush Up Against Your Legs?

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's been 5 months since I got my cat. but it was only last week that I noticed that unlike previous cats I've come in contact with, he doesn't rub against my legs. he will follow me round, but will never rub against my legs, I'm guessing this is only something that certain cats do?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo does when he's hungry (the flatterer!) but neither of mine do it at other times. I think it just depends on the cat. I took in a stray that I finally found the owner for, and that cat rubbed everything, including my patio furniture. That tipped me off that she was a lost cat.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You actually just made me realize I don't think one of my cats rubs either. I didn't really pay much attention to it until now, but I can't think of my female ever doing it. Both of the boys do and one of them really loves rubbing on my face which is great for allergies. Like I don't get enough fur up my nose as it is. But the female usually meows, chirps, trills, rolls onto her back, and brings me toys when she wants attention. She doesn't rub.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten Fynn will rubs against your legs but Jethro will not, but he is the lap cat lol. Fynn is more of a love from afar kitty

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby does brush up against my legs, but she's more apt to also walk between them and try to (unintentionally, I think) trip me. :catman:

he doesn't rub against my legs. he will follow me round, but will never rub against my legs,
If you get down to his level, like on the floor, does he rub up against you?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon does not do that. Barley, occasionally. Brandy and Pepsi - all the time.

GingerBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that I think about it, she doesn't really rub on my legs. I've tripped over her a few times, so maybe it's self preservation! If I'm on the floor or couch, she's all over me, though. Mutual head bonks are the best :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that I think about it, she doesn't really rub on my legs. I've tripped over her a few times, so maybe it's self preservation! If I'm on the floor or couch, she's all over me, though. Mutual head bonks are the best :catrub:
now that you mentioned it, I think maybe he doesn't rub on my legs, because when he was very young, he would walk really close to my leg and I stepped on his a lot (by accident of course!) maybe because of that, he prefers to avoid my legs now!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Paisley, our new girl, will rub against my legs, twirl in between them and generally demand attention. But only for my - not my wife.

Barry our shy former feral will occasions give the slightest of a grazing "drive by" but again, only for me.

Duncan never leg rubs anyone, but the first person home from work gets a 10 minute hello session complete with head butts (all done from the dining room table.)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton doesn't really rub up against my legs but our former cat, Neely, did it all the time. However, what Carleton does do is come up to me and turn over on his back with paws up in the air to get my attention. :catlove:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante did .... Jackie just stands on his back legs and taps me with his front paws.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia's more of a head butter than a leg rubber, but she'll do it on occasion.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Waffles does a lot, but Mooshoo does not- she does head butts and arm rubs when I'm sitting down typing on my computer (makes it interesting to type) or just sitting on the couch. Silly cats.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gwen never did this, although she was a dedicated head-butter, and would face-nuzzle for hours if you'd let her. Juniper will rub up against door frames and wall corners, rather than against my legs, and with her I think it's usually a greeting or a way of trying to get my attention, not always related to food. Saying hi first thing in the morning, or greeting us after we use the bathroom (rather than demanding entry, she waits very circumspectly just outside the door) are key wall-rubbing moments.