Does X-ray usually require sedation?

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat pen pen was throwing up this this morning and looked very sick. It raised red flag when she failed jumping on a table and was not interested in her favorite treat. She is super athletic and she is crazy for Benito flake (usually come running from 2nd floor if she hears when I open the package). She likes to chew rubber band. Last time she accidentally ate half a rubber band, then threw up some and passed the rest. I was worried if she ate something, trying to throw it up but couldn’t.

I took her to the hospital for an emergency visit. They sedated her for an X-ray and didn’t find any issues. She was released very fast, about 1 hour. The vet was surprised that she came out of sedation very fast and discharged her after giving her some anti nausea medication.

But once she got home, she walked wobbly and cannot land on her feet if she jumps. She gave up after a few tries and has been since napping for about 6 hours. She hasn’t eaten anything today except a few Benito flakes I gave her after the vet visit.

Now I’m getting worried and blame myself that I put her through all this for nothing. After some more research after the vet visit, I also read that sedation is not necessary for X-ray.

I actually liked the vet and was planning to switch to them (the vet in my town is super expensive, always booked 1 month away, and not super helpful). But now I’m not sure…

Do you know if sedation is a common procedure for x-ray? And how long does it take for my cat to return to normal?

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. She needs to see another vet if she is still like this.
Sedation and anesthetic agents are processed through different organs in the body. Usually liver and or kidneys. So if she is having issues with those, it will take much longer for her to rid her body of this.

It could also be a progression of what was initially going on.

without knowing what sedative agents were used, it’s impossible to say when she should have recovered. Any drug used, she should have been able to clear by now.

it could still be a rubber and or something else obstructing her. You can’t always see on x-ray.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, to answer the question. No, most cats do not have to be sedated for an x-ray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. She needs to see another vet if she is still like this.
Sedation and anesthetic agents are processed through different organs in the body. Usually liver and or kidneys. So if she is having issues with those, it will take much longer for her to rid her body of this.

It could also be a progression of what was initially going on.

without knowing what sedative agents were used, it’s impossible to say when she should have recovered. Any drug used, she should have been able to clear by now.

it could still be a rubber and or something else obstructing her. You can’t always see on x-ray.
Oh no! That sounds bad. She’s still sleeping now, with some waking up in between to change positions, but fell asleep very fast. It has been 7 hours. I really hope she will wake up soon and eat something. Otherwise I’ll need to find another emergency care…

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, to answer the question. No, most cats do not have to be sedated for an x-ray.
Thank you for confirming this. I really should have known better… I was quite panicked at the vet and let them did it. At least now I’m sure I’ll never go back to that vet…

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’m not an expert, but my cat had pneumonia and she’s quite skittish, but no they did not sedate her for her X-rays either time. I hope your kitty feels better very soon! :heartshape:

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She woke up earlier, and looked a little more alert. I tried to give her some food, but she only had a few pieces of Benito flakes. She was awake for like an hour and just sitting there. I thought maybe she’s getting better. But she never left the bed and now she’s asleep again… I hope she will recover and eat something tomorrow morning. Otherwise I might need to call another vet.
She was actually looking ok at the vet. She’s skittish, but never behave terribly at the vet. I can’t believe they sedated her. I feel like she’s doing worse than this morning :(

Stressedcatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its not common to get them sedated for it, at my vet even owners can help hold them to take them specially xrays are taken very fast.
I holded myself my senior cat for an ultrasound, if they sedating her for an x ray even when shes not moving much could be bc they wanna charge u extra or bc they not willingly to handle any animal while they're awake??

But as an example, my cat took 2 days to be better from her spay surgery anesthesia but my other 2 cats where all well after a few hours, i guess its all depends on the kitty.
If it continues for another day id definitely call the clinic and ask if its due to the anesthesia or the culprit its the reason u took her in the first place

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn’t jump to conclusions. My cat is very squirmy, stressed and uncooperative at the vet to the point she needs gabapentin for routine appointments. I imagine she probably would need further sedation for x-rays or in-depth examination. Perhaps it depends on the cat. I took her this week for a visit and it took a full 24 hours for her to be her normal self, although the grogginess might have had something to do with her vaccines. I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think your vet did anything wrong necessarily, especially if you had a good feeling about them prior to. Just give them a call.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat went to the ER once and they sedated him with Kettimine. Kettimine really messes my cat up. It took him about 12 hours to recover. I had to put him in a room so he wouldn't hurt himself. This sedation is different from ones that make him groggy. This one messes with his ability to move.

I was very upset about it because I had to go to work and I never would have authorized that had I known.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat went to the ER once and they sedated him with Kettimine. Kettimine really messes my cat up. It took him about 12 hours to recover. I had to put him in a room so he wouldn't hurt himself. This sedation is different from ones that make him groggy. This one messes with his ability to move.

I was very upset about it because I had to go to work and I never would have authorized that had I known.
I don’t know which drug they used but it did affect her movement. She was walking all wobbly and she’s surprised to find herself off balance when walking and jumping. She’s smart that after a few minutes she realized it and went to the bed to rest to let it pass. She didn’t come off the bed for 12+ hours. Luckily it was a Saturday so we took turns to chill with her. I was very upset and I’ll not go back to that vet.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t know which drug they used but it did affect her movement. She was walking all wobbly and she’s surprised to find herself off balance when walking and jumping. She’s smart that after a few minutes she realized it and went to the bed to rest to let it pass. She didn’t come off the bed for 12+ hours. Luckily it was a Saturday so we took turns to chill with her. I was very upset and I’ll not go back to that vet.
I think the ER vets have this attitude like it could be an emergency and thus they don't have time to ask you. Also I think they may need to use it to keep the animal perfectly still for an xray. Yes my cat had trouble walking and was drooling and sadly was very scared because he didn't know what was happening. He did things like growl at himself and was very restless.. you could tell because he knew something was very wrong and he was trying to fix it.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Latest update:

She finally got better today!

I woke up at 5am this morning to check on her. She finally came off the bed and walked around. I gave her some snack and she also drunk water, which were all good signs. At this point I think it’s a stomach bug because she had diarrhea this morning. One of my male cat also had diarrhea yesterday, but otherwise acting normal.

She wasn’t really interested in food this morning but reacted to treats. Finally this afternoon she ate a small meal and so far no more throw up. I hope she will be fully recovered soon but will keep close observation just in case if there’s still a blockage.

Thank you all for your input!

Attachments

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the ER vets have this attitude like it could be an emergency and thus they don't have time to ask you. Also I think they may need to use it to keep the animal perfectly still for an xray. Yes my cat had trouble walking and was drooling and sadly was very scared because he didn't know what was happening. He did things like growl at himself and was very restless.. you could tell because he knew something was very wrong and he was trying to fix it.
Yeah that makes total sense. Yes they did mention that they had to keep her still otherwise she might hurt herself. I was very upset and worried yesterday but looking back, the full day of sleep did help her recover.
PS. Just posted a minute ago about her latest update. She’s recovering well today :)