Does this sound like feline aggression?

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, this website has always been extraordinarily helpful for any questions I've had so I hope you can help me with this one.

I've had my cats Pounce and Ninja for 4 years now. They are brothers who have always been together and always got along fine. Like they've always snuggled up with each other and both seemed very happy. That being said Pounce (by nature) has always been a nervous boy and I've tried various ways to make him feel reassured. This year seemed like he was doing better until recently.

A couple of weeks ago my cats had a weird day. Pounce seemed really scared his pupils were dilated and he wasn't acting like himself. I rushed him to the vet and they said he was totally fine.

When we got home NInja (who I have NEVER heard hiss) started hissing at him. He kept running up to him and hissing which seemed to make Pounce more uncomfortable. I separated them and then took Ninja to the vet because this behaviour was so out of sorts. He was angry with his brother, angry at me, and angry at the vets.I kept trying to explain to that vet (because she is different than my regular) just how odd this was because my cats go the vets separately all the time and they never have had those kinds of problems before.

Anywho that vet said he was fine. However, I suspect a bout of food poisoning because they were both panting, drooling excessively, and the behaviour was very strange.

Fast forward to yesterday and things seem tense between them again. I haven't seen any overt signs of aggression like I did a few weeks ago. They don't hiss at each other (or at least not while I am around). However, Pounce seems to be more avoidant with Ninja. Like they both come to me for pets but he leaves quickly, he seems more anxious about eating (even though I have always separated them for mealtimes), and he just seems more skittish than normal.

Ninja on the other hand seems to be acting like himself. Nothing's really changed with him.

There aren't really overt signs of fighting that I note. I find that Pounce just seems to be hyperaware of Ninja right now though. They'll stare at each other sometimes but there isn't any obvious change in body language.

I think that for the times I'm not around I will install a pet camera because I just really want to know at this point if there are problems between them so that I can figure out what to do. Part of me wants to separate them but my mom thinks if I do that they'll adjust to that and won't be able to live together anymore.

Any experts on this? Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
For Pounce, as long as he's still eating the same amount, drinking and using the litterbox as usual, try some cat music - there's spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources. Also try loving on Pounce separately so that his self-confidence is helped :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I wasn't sure based on your post whether or not Pounce ever got back to normal, since you said "Fast forward to yesterday and things seem tense between them again." If Pounce really never returned to 'normal', it is likely to do with him being the one who is more the nervous type. He is likely still on high alert because of his anxiousness.

I would try the calming music and the individual play sessions, as suggested by Furballsmom Furballsmom , to see if that might help him relax some and re-build his confidence. You could also try Feliway diffusers as another possible calming solution. And, perhaps use some of the later steps in cat introductions, such as giving them treats when they are around each other, trying to engage both of them in play with you. Maybe make sure you have constant scent swapping going on too.

Hopefully, the pet camera won't expose any fighting going on. If it doesn't, ideally you won't need to resort to separating them and doing a whole introduction process!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I wasn't sure based on your post whether or not Pounce ever got back to normal, since you said "Fast forward to yesterday and things seem tense between them again." If Pounce really never returned to 'normal', it is likely to do with him being the one who is more the nervous type. He is likely still on high alert because of his anxiousness.

I would try the calming music and the individual play sessions, as suggested by Furballsmom Furballsmom , to see if that might help him relax some and re-build his confidence. You could also try Feliway diffusers as another possible calming solution. And, perhaps use some of the later steps in cat introductions, such as giving them treats when they are around each other, trying to engage both of them in play with you. Maybe make sure you have constant scent swapping going on too.

Hopefully, the pet camera won't expose any fighting going on. If it doesn't, ideally you won't need to resort to separating them and doing a whole introduction process!
Thank you so much this makes me feel so much better. It honestly feels so strange when I'm around they'll even snuggle up together and fall asleep together. They'll groom each other and play together. But whenever I'm gone I come back and pounce seems really nervous and they both seem a bit too hyper aware of each other. I think you are right though I'll work on playing with them more and boosting Pounce's confidence.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if there is something new going on outside that could be scaring them. Dilated pupils can be from staring at prey, gets, excitement and not necessarily for being sick. I see that in ferals a lot when they are startled by a new cat, after a big or even just reacting to an unknown scent in the air. Cameras could be helpful to look outside too. Sometimes it can be something as simple as them eating a bad insect. A caterpillar crawled in maybe? The panting and drooling made me wonder about something like a frog or a lizard tail. It could be that there is a small opening in a screen where Pounce is finding something and if Pounce got to it first but reacted or shared it with Ninja, it just kind of set them off. Check for any little invaders, any plant material that came inside and then just concentrate on reassurance. :alright: