Does this sound like a fun morning?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Dentist
2. Buy blacklight and jug of Petzyme

Ugh, I'm actually not sure which is worse. Its been a long time since we have had a pee problem. Its cheaper than the dentist I guess, but they tend to linger something aweful.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No it doest. Two things I hate. You probably just wanted to relax after the dentist, too. I feel your pain, my older male cat peed on my pillow a few nights ago (marking a bit after we recently moved) and I had to throw it out. Cat pee can just stench up a whole room...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even find the pee, just smell it, which is unusual. We have a large furnished basement where the cats spend the night. The food and water are far from the litter boxes, say 50 feet. At least one of the cats is apparently peeing very close to the food and water, which I thought was something cats dont do. So I'm puzzled by it. Off to the store to see if the blacklight will help...

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All these posts about cats/kittens peeing everywhere gets me so nervous it will happen to me!! :eek: I have zero sense of smell and can't even tell if one of the kittens laid a stinky unless someone tells me. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Pee problems are just the worst. The black light should help you find the spots but figuring out the cause and who is doing it is the challenge. I know you have an older cat and one that may still be a kitten? Maybe a video cam down there at night might help identify the culprit and cause.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I like to think I have some experience with peeing problems because we had kittens and cats with issues in the past, but this one is a puzzler.

We have a 5 yr old and a 1 yr old now. We are guessing its the one year old of course, but who knows? I ordered a blacklight and nature's miracle (Petco charges literally double for that stuff it turns out). We used to have a blacklight, but when it started to break the wife tossed it because of her frustration with the CSI/murder scene aspect of the blacklight. But I hate her "just douse a giant area with a gallon of Nature's Miracle" approach which is costly and less effective. Her nose is like twice as powerful as mine, but she refuses to do any sniffing -- lol :( Of course, usually an observant eye is enough as most carpet gets a bit yellowed, and I thought that was true of our basement carpet so I dunno.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can smell it but not find usually when that happens to me its an older accident and it took a while for me to smell it.

Might be the case for you too. Or maybe if its in the basement near food and you cant see it its mouse pee not cat pee.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can smell it but not find usually when that happens to me its an older accident and it took a while for me to smell it.

Might be the case for you too. Or maybe if its in the basement near food and you cant see it its mouse pee not cat pee.
You think this is possible? I give them wet food at night and they make a mess of it, over carpet. We clean, but not as often as we should, so food residue would definitely be attractive to a mouse. Why do you think it wouldn't stain? Would it still show up on blacklight?

Thanks for your help. Unless you freaked me out for nothing lol!

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it was just an idea. Its gross but mice piddle all the time just a tiny bit at a time as they walk around so they could leave it there and it dries and you dont see it because its a small amount. Their feet are covered in it. I saw it on a mouse documentary once.. lol. My cats enjoyed watching the documentary as much as I did.

As for being an old stain I my 12 yr old Grey Cat has always had on again off again marking tendencies and in my experience "unfindable" or vague smells are usually ones that are dry and I just didnt notice or smell yet. Gross but it happens... I dont have the best sense of smell. But if you feed them there everyday I dont know how likely that is.