Does This Look Like Feline Herpes And Is The Risk To My Cats Too High?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we arrived at the shelter, my partner really didn't want to go in. She couldn't bear seeing all those kitties. So she just kept looking straight ahead once we were inside. She didn't look at or interact with the other cats at all while we were waiting. But she locked eyes with this little guy when he snagged my shirt and that was it.
It was a very convoluted way to get to where we are, but he is such a happy, loving little thing. I think he will do her heart good.:)
That's what happens. You harden yourself, vowing you will NOT allow yourself to be taken in. But then...CAT happens.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My partner nixed Ziggy Stardust (I don't think she got the reference) so for now the top 2 contenders are Pepper and Errol. We really need to make up our minds soon or he's going to think his name is baby!
If it makes you feel any better, we couldn't come up with a name for one of our new kittens for about a week. I thought we were going to have to call him Baby Boy Cheeser for that first appointment with the vet. :wink:

Honestly, we've given up on trying to name our cats. After a few days, they seem to wind up naming themselves. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a delightfully happy little thing! He is isolated in our bedroom for now and when not supervised kept in a playpen with netting velcroed over the top. That may hold him for another day or two. I can't wait until I can start introductions. I keep telling Sam he has a new baby brother and Sam is keeping vigil by the bedroom door.
Our new baby doesn't hold still for photos. These were the best I could get. Do you think he will have medium hair when older? His littermates were much fluffier than he is.
20180530_102129.jpg

20180530_102227.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a delightfully happy little thing! He is isolated in our bedroom for now and when not supervised kept in a playpen with netting velcroed over the top. That may hold him for another day or two. I can't wait until I can start introductions. I keep telling Sam he has a new baby brother and Sam is keeping vigil by the bedroom door.
Our new baby doesn't hold still for photos. These were the best I could get. Do you think he will have medium hair when older? His littermates were much fluffier than he is.
View attachment 234258
View attachment 234259
*I find that most cats eventually tell you what they want to answer to. Seriously.
Whatever this adorable panther princeling's name is, he is ADORABLE.*

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A medium hair? ...possibly, but his tail hair looks like it is short, so I'm not sure. It'll be fun to see what occurs.
I know, that tail hair is very short. The hair on his body and head is longer but I figured it was just kitten fluff. His ears though, they have super long ear tufts! Way longer than the rest of his hair.
He's very difficult to get a picture of, but here is a very unflattering one that shows his ears a little better. (Personally I think this pic is hilarious because he looks so ANGRY. I promise he wasn't, just a trick of the light.:lol:
20180529_172906.jpg

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Just want to iterate, herpes generally isn't a huge concern is most animals and the dangers are overhyped. If your cat isn't terribly young or old, shouldn't be a worry. A vet visit will do, it's not a reason not to adopt an animal. Feline herpes is usually more severe than human herpes but treatment is very successful. It rarely gets to the point of being life threatening rather than an irritation or cosmetic issue.

Good luck :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:wavey:

What a great photo!
Look how sturdy those little legs are, he's going to be an awesome adult! I remember it used to be said that cats with big ears were great mousers, which makes sense, as far as it goes... :coolcat:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So how goes it with the new baby?
He. Is. AMAZING.
You couldn't ask for a sweeter, loving, more good natured baby than this. He is a smile inducing ball of fluff.
As you and other wise people have posted, he seems to have named himself. Buddy. It's not original or clever but it is appropriate. He's our little buddy.
On his second day here I gave him his first taste of wet food. Apparently he had never had it before and didn't know what to do with it. Now he is gobbling it down.
He has had an issue with gas and smelly poo since we brought him home so I need to collect a stool sample to take to the vet. Other than that, he appears bright eyed and healthy.
My partner is totally in love with him as well. I know there have been a few bittersweet times for her. Sometimes he does things that her departed Isabelle used to do, like climb up on my partner's pillow and lick her hair. She loves him for the delightful boy he is though and I have seen her smile more in the last few days than I have in a long time.
I can't wait for the isolation phase to be over and we can start introductions with the other cats. Sam is so curious about this new guy. Fingers crossed that they will be best buddies.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He. Is. AMAZING.
You couldn't ask for a sweeter, loving, more good natured baby than this. He is a smile inducing ball of fluff.
As you and other wise people have posted, he seems to have named himself. Buddy. It's not original or clever but it is appropriate. He's our little buddy.
On his second day here I gave him his first taste of wet food. Apparently he had never had it before and didn't know what to do with it. Now he is gobbling it down.
He has had an issue with gas and smelly poo since we brought him home so I need to collect a stool sample to take to the vet. Other than that, he appears bright eyed and healthy.
My partner is totally in love with him as well. I know there have been a few bittersweet times for her. Sometimes he does things that her departed Isabelle used to do, like climb up on my partner's pillow and lick her hair. She loves him for the delightful boy he is though and I have seen her smile more in the last few days than I have in a long time.
I can't wait for the isolation phase to be over and we can start introductions with the other cats. Sam is so curious about this new guy. Fingers crossed that they will be best buddies.
Oh btw we know Jackson is a Persian Hymalanian if that helps.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has had an issue with gas and smelly poo since we brought him home so I need to collect a stool sample to take to the vet.
If, hopefully :vibes::crossfingers:, the vet doesn't find anything, you could try a different brand --although I realize you said this has been going on since you-all got home so what you're feeding wouldn't appear to be a culprit..?
Add some kitten glop (recipes on the internet, look for ones with goat milk) for a little while, or some unseasoned boiled chicken and rice (50/50).

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh btw we know Jackson is a Persian .Hymalanian if that helps.
Jackson is absolutely gorgeous! I'm pretty sure Buddy is 100% alleycat and that's fine by me.;):p I am curious how long his hair will be when he grows up, but I'm in no rush. I wanna enjoy his kittenhood. It goes by so fast.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If, hopefully :vibes::crossfingers:, the vet doesn't find anything, you could try a different brand --although I realize you said this has been going on since you-all got home so what you're feeding wouldn't appear to be a culprit..?
Add some kitten glop (recipes on the internet, look for ones with goat milk) for a little while, or some unseasoned boiled chicken and rice (50/50).
On the day we brought him home as I lifted him out of the carrier I was greeted with a humongous smelly fart.:lol:
I've kept him on the same food he ate at the shelter except I'm adding wet. The smell may have gotten a little better, or I may be becoming "nose blind" to it. I will try to get a stool sample to the vet on Monday.