Does This Look Infected To You?

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. This is ginger, one of our 7month old kittens. She was spayed almost 3 weeks ago , had the stitches removed after 2 weeks but there was still quite a hole. We put kenacomb ointment on her for 4 days as per vets directions and then stopped as its a strong ointment. Meanwhile this is what it currently looks like. There is still a clear hole about 1mm in diameter but the last few days I've noticed a small black something in the middle. I think it's where the ointment got inside the wound but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me if it looks infected? She also had a short course of antibiotics over the last week. These have now finished. I've sent the picture to the vet but waiting to hear back from him and as we live far away from a vet and don't have transport, it's not possible for her to see a vet for about a week. Thanks everyone.
IMG-20180124-WA0054.jpg

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww. poor baby.. I think it looks infected to me...

I know someone more experienced than me will come on soon, and add their opinion...

Can you call and make an appointment, now? for when as soon as you are able to get there?
Or perhaps, the Vet can adviser you over the phone??? and prescribe?

(((hugs))

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
That is probably one of the nicest incisions I've seen. It just looks like it's scabbing up a little. I would expect to see more redness and perhaps oozing if it were infected.
GREAT!! A Much more Experienced opinion than my uneducated one..
Thank you..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks both. We live in Saudi Arabia and this is one of 5 kittens from a rescued stray compound mum we adopted back in June last year (or I should say the mum adopted us! She just waltzed in to our home one day and decided to stay and set up camp!) You wouldn't believe it but all 6 were spayed/neutered on our dining room table! The scariest part for me was being their nurse when after they were operated on. I've had pets of all shapes and sizes on and off my whole life but having grown up in the UK I've never had to see them immediately after surgery still under anaesthesia! I've sent the picture to the vet and we are monitoring it closely. We gave it a light wash with diluted Betadine this evening just in case it's any thing nasty and hopefully will hear back from the vet in the morning. It's not puss like or green or smelly but we are afraid to do anything much with it. My husband thinks it looks like dried blood...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it looks fine, but it's always good to send the vet the photo!

I saw a variety of stages of healing when my kitty had her two knee surgeries, and the surgeon got a lot of photos sent to him during my kitty's recovery! lol.

I agree with your husband, that it looks like dried blood. It sounds like you are keeping a good eye on it!
:cheerleader:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just realised i never updated you all on our little ginger... I'm pleased to say she healed perfectly and it wasn't infected at all! Thank you everyone for your advice and support. X

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just realised i never updated you all on our little ginger... I'm pleased to say she healed perfectly and it wasn't infected at all! Thank you everyone for your advice and support. X
Hurrah! Glad she's okay. :vibes::cheerleader::clap2: