Does this kitten look strange?

Catsareawesome86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A friend is getting two kittens from this litter and she sent me a pic. It seems to look 'off' to me, not very bright eyed. A video she sent he seems slow, not v playful and bouncy like a normal kitten. Apparently it's 8 weeks old.

I've attached a photo.

Any advice welcome x

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsareawesome86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same I can't pinpoint, I'm thinking inbreeding as it's slow, slanted eyes? The owner apparently has the great grandmother and has 9 cats so maybe some inbreeding occurred. She hasn't bought the kitten yet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is a breeder who is selling the kittens? The kitten looks different to me as well, possibly a little sickly, but that can't be determined from the picture.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It's eyes almost look glazed over. Also possibly a runt. Runts aren't necessarily sickly but often have lifetime conditions that pop up. They often need a vigilant caretaker who understands medical needs. You need to be both financially and emotionally prepared for taking in runts or animals with birth defects.

Do you know anything about the breeder? Is it a backyard breeder?

I personally would keep looking unless you are fully prepared to care for lifelong medical conditions.

8 weeks is also too young to be separated from mom and siblings. 12 weeks is the ideal minimum age. Kittens weened prematurely will often have emotional problems and won't have learned how to behave like a cat.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten is 6 weeks at most, much too young to be leaving mum. Not that 8 weeks is appropriate. Seems to have a URI or something similar. I’d tell your friend to walk away and report this “breeder”. No reason to support a BYB when there are plenty of kittens and cats in shelters.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The jaw is “off” also. Too small. I fear for this kitten

Definitely needs a vet visit and owner should be reported.