Does this kitten look like she’ll be cross-eyed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
S Skye839
I don't think she will be cross eyed but she is way too young to be taken from her mother.
Is the person selling her planning to keep her with her mother longer? If not don't take her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S Skye839
I don't think she will be cross eyed but she is way too young to be taken from her mother.
Is the person selling her planning to keep her with her mother longer? If not don't take her.
Thank you for your reply! Oh yes, I do know she’s far too young right now. She’s keeping her and her siblings with her mom up until they’re at least 8 weeks old. She’s not selling but giving them away (since the pregnancy was an accident and she meant to spay the mom) so she’s been looking for homes for them

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
S Skye839
Ok, thanks, that's good to know 🐾 If she will keep a little longer to ten weeks even better.
People who breed cats normally keep now till 12~13 weeks and the kittens come vaccinated and such. I know that is not as easy for people who are not breeders and selling and hence getting reimbursed for costs.
But if she stays a little longer with her mother and siblings that helps with socialization and you will have a better adjusted kitten.

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S Skye839
Ok, thanks, that's good to know 🐾 If she will keep a little longer to ten weeks even better.
People who breed cats normally keep now till 12~13 weeks and the kittens come vaccinated and such. I know that is not as easy for people who are not breeders and selling and hence getting reimbursed for costs.
But if she stays a little longer with her mother and siblings that helps with socialization and you will have a better adjusted kitten.
Oh, I was not aware standard was around 12 weeks with mom. Unfortunately, she’s kind of in a hurry to spay her because momma cat has some kinda cysts that need to be removed in the operation. I will have a chat with her though and maybe by speaking to her vet we can reach the best solution. Thanks for all the info 🥰
Though back to kitty’s eyes, the fact they’re kinda googly is normal of such young kittens? The others’ in the litter don’t seem as crazy-looking, hence my preoccupation also.

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you for replying! I’ve learned the situation is far from ideal, but after talking to the owner I could not get her to keep the kittens for longer than 2 months (9 weeks). I will be dealing with her vaccines, vet work and spaying later on. Any tips on how to make the best of the situation when she comes home are welcome!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be too young to quite control her eyes too, to be safe have a vet look at them when you bring her in for her shots. She has what is called exotropia which is the pupils looking outward, not inward like crosseyed. But it is not uncommon at all for kittens that young to have less control over their muscles, including the eye muscles. so watch and see if it improves over the next few weeks, I bet it will. Bless you, for giving her a home, I pray she will give you many years of happiness. Get ready for teh whirlwind of activity that is a kitten in your house!

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may be too young to quite control her eyes too, to be safe have a vet look at them when you bring her in for her shots. She has what is called exotropia which is the pupils looking outward, not inward like crosseyed. But it is not uncommon at all for kittens that young to have less control over their muscles, including the eye muscles. so watch and see if it improves over the next few weeks, I bet it will. Bless you, for giving her a home, I pray she will give you many years of happiness. Get ready for teh whirlwind of activity that is a kitten in your house!
She’s so young right now I thought that could be the case too! But I haven’t really been around kittens this little so I figured it would be best to ask around here, haha. I will check with the vet in a few as you said, my main concern is for her sight to be okay! And thank you for your kind words, I’m very excited for her to come home ❤

Last edited by a moderator:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a half-persian half-unknown kitten I’m looking to adopt and from the pics the owner sent me I was a bit worried she might be cross-eyed? Should there be any worries if she was? She’s 3~Weeks old. Thank you!
Her eyes look ok to me. Usually it is a bit older that they will start to turn inward I think if the cross eyes is hereditary as in siamese cats. But if you are worried about her eyes, when you get her take her to DVM and have her checked out. I assume you will be doing that anyway. If it is hereditary it should not have any effect on her vision at all. In siamese cats it is a corrective adaptation so they can see properly.

As far as the age, as others said 12 weeks is ideal. I have raised younger kittens adopted from shelters who were orphaned and rescued/ and fostered younger orphaned or abandoned kittens- they all turned out fine. Just give her lots of attention and care, play with her a lot, plenty of interactive toys, cuddly friends etc. There was one who reverted to a semi feral state at 6 months or so of age. This was a feral kitten who was tame and sociable as young kitten. I have never seen anything like that and no one else at the time including dvm could explain it either.

And realize each cat will have their own base line personality no matter how they are raised. If you have an older cat who will play with her or if you can get her a kitten companion that would help a lot. My angel Tess was about 9 weeks maybe when I adopted her from a town shelter many years ago, she was the sweetest little thing- she was an only kitten/ cat. She was fearless, very gentle and intelligent and she never had any behavioral or social issues at all. I used to take her nearly everywhere with me, I was a student at the time.

Another thing to consider is, is this an oops litter? Are you paying a fee to adopt her? If it is an oops litter, then this is not a byb as others said, but if they are doing this all the time, intentionally breeding and selling the kittens without caring for them properly then it is and is definitely not an ideal situation. Since she is spaying the mom I am assuming this was an oops.
She is a cutie 😻

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's a bit wall-eyed, it often will go away on its own. My littlest one had that when she was small and it's completely gone away (she's three now). Even if it doesn't take care of itself, cats almost always compensate and it doesn't have any long-term effect. Consider the high incidence of crossed eyes in Siamese cats and they do just fine.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's a bit wall-eyed, it often will go away on its own. My littlest one had that when she was small and it's completely gone away (she's three now). Even if it doesn't take care of itself, cats almost always compensate and it doesn't have any long-term effect. Consider the high incidence of crossed eyes in Siamese cats and they do just fine.
Yes, she's wall-eyed, not cross-eyed. If either is permanent, one eye will become dominant and the cat will be able to see just fine. It's too early to think it's permanent, though.

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her eyes look ok to me. Usually it is a bit older that they will start to turn inward I think if the cross eyes is hereditary as in siamese cats. But if you are worried about her eyes, when you get her take her to DVM and have her checked out. I assume you will be doing that anyway. If it is hereditary it should not have any effect on her vision at all. In siamese cats it is a corrective adaptation so they can see properly.

As far as the age, as others said 12 weeks is ideal. I have raised younger kittens adopted from shelters who were orphaned and rescued/ and fostered younger orphaned or abandoned kittens- they all turned out fine. Just give her lots of attention and care, play with her a lot, plenty of interactive toys, cuddly friends etc. There was one who reverted to a semi feral state at 6 months or so of age. This was a feral kitten who was tame and sociable as young kitten. I have never seen anything like that and no one else at the time including dvm could explain it either.

And realize each cat will have their own base line personality no matter how they are raised. If you have an older cat who will play with her or if you can get her a kitten companion that would help a lot. My angel Tess was about 9 weeks maybe when I adopted her from a town shelter many years ago, she was the sweetest little thing- she was an only kitten/ cat. She was fearless, very gentle and intelligent and she never had any behavioral or social issues at all. I used to take her nearly everywhere with me, I was a student at the time.

Another thing to consider is, is this an oops litter? Are you paying a fee to adopt her? If it is an oops litter, then this is not a byb as others said, but if they are doing this all the time, intentionally breeding and selling the kittens without caring for them properly then it is and is definitely not an ideal situation. Since she is spaying the mom I am assuming this was an oops.
She is a cutie 😻
Hi, thank you for including your experience and tips with younger kittens! Unfortunately I can’t make the jump from 2 to 4 cats comfortably right now, but I sure hope my older cats get along with her, I’ve been reading up on how to introduce them 😃 Your Tess sounds lovely and seeing you got her at around the age I’ll get this little one and she and others turned out well is reassuring.
I’ve been told the owner is a byb just for allowing this litter but I don’t think that’s the case as she assures me the pregnancy was an accident and she’s not selling them (adoption fees over here and unheard of, so she’s basically “free”). And yes, the mom will be spayed soon, thankfully!

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vince and DreamerRose, I just learned “wall eyes” was a thing! Definitely describes her look better than cross-eyed. The general consensus seems to be that it is just a kitten thing, but it’s good to know that even if it carries onto adulthood it will not affect her eyesight, thank you for your input ❤

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I get that calling the owner a byb from a technical standpoint could apply, I think we all know it carries negative aspects behind it, like carelessly breeding for profit, not caring about their own animal’s wellbeing and the litter’s, etc. I truly think this is not the case, I don’t know if things “add up” or not, but what I got from her side is that she has a cat she was going to spay because she found out she has mammary cysts, was told to wait by her vet and her cat got pregnant in that time (I assume she accidentally escaped, since she explicitly told me she’s an indoor cat). I met this person a week ago and have only had the chance to speak to her on the phone so I guess she could be lying, maybe this is the 5th time this happens, maybe she isn’t even planning to spay her cat, maybe the momma cat doesn’t even have cysts? But I choose to be a little less cynical and believe her, I think if she really had malicious intentions she would attempt to sell the kittens or straight up toss them in a box by the road instead of trying to find homes for them. As for not keeping the kittens for 12 weeks, I did try to make her reconsider after learning about it here, but she told me she’s a single mom and nurse and she simply cannot juggle between work and obligations and 5 active kittens running around in her house, plus the costs of food much less vaccinations, dewormers, etc. As I’ve mentioned, adoption fees are absolutely not a thing here and if she were to ask for one people would probably assume it’s for profit and choose to adopt elsewhere. I live in Uruguay and unfortunately things that might be common knowledge about pets elsewhere are not so much here (unrelated, but to give an example, if you look for a trainer 80% will tell you they believe in negatively punishing dogs and tell you to act like the “alpha” around them). A lot of people have intact pets because they see no reason to fix them if they aren’t in the streets, and still love their animals. She’s in a hurry to spay her cat now and not before because she now knows she has cysts.
Anyway, though I very much appreciate all of the comments pointing out that the kittens would be separated from the mom too soon because I learned how it could affect them, I think the discussion deviated too much into passing critical judgement towards the owner who is not even here and is far from my post’s intention, so I will probably stop engaging here. Thank you everyone for the information! ❤

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I get that calling the owner a byb from a technical standpoint could apply, I think we all know it carries negative aspects behind it, like carelessly breeding for profit, not caring about their own animal’s wellbeing and the litter’s, etc. I truly think this is not the case, I don’t know if things “add up” or not, but what I got from her side is that she has a cat she was going to spay because she found out she has mammary cysts, was told to wait by her vet and her cat got pregnant in that time (I assume she accidentally escaped, since she explicitly told me she’s an indoor cat). I met this person a week ago and have only had the chance to speak to her on the phone so I guess she could be lying, maybe this is the 5th time this happens, maybe she isn’t even planning to spay her cat, maybe the momma cat doesn’t even have cysts? But I choose to be a little less cynical and believe her, I think if she really had malicious intentions she would attempt to sell the kittens or straight up toss them in a box by the road instead of trying to find homes for them. As for not keeping the kittens for 12 weeks, I did try to make her reconsider after learning about it here, but she told me she’s a single mom and nurse and she simply cannot juggle between work and obligations and 5 active kittens running around in her house, plus the costs of food much less vaccinations, dewormers, etc. As I’ve mentioned, adoption fees are absolutely not a thing here and if she were to ask for one people would probably assume it’s for profit and choose to adopt elsewhere. I live in Uruguay and unfortunately things that might be common knowledge about pets elsewhere are not so much here (unrelated, but to give an example, if you look for a trainer 80% will tell you they believe in negatively punishing dogs and tell you to act like the “alpha” around them). A lot of people have intact pets because they see no reason to fix them if they aren’t in the streets, and still love their animals. She’s in a hurry to spay her cat now and not before because she now knows she has cysts.
Anyway, though I very much appreciate all of the comments pointing out that the kittens would be separated from the mom too soon because I learned how it could affect them, I think the discussion deviated too much into passing critical judgement towards the owner who is not even here and is far from my post’s intention, so I will probably stop engaging here. Thank you everyone for the information! ❤
I hope you will share pics of her, she is so cute 😀 I am sorry things deviated etc.

Skye839

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that I for sure will! 🐱🥰

catloveralyx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive raised multiple kittens from birth to 2 months and older and it does not appear her eyes are cross eyed,i have a current siamese female kittens who’s 5 weeks and her eyes look like that,almost every kitten ive raised has their eyes like that.It’s nothing to worry about as their eyes are still developing and changing and they’ll soon look normal!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

Many posts have been removed from this thread as they were off-topic and some were judgemental.
We have left S Skye839 's responses since it is her thread. They may relate to the deleted posts and so may seem out of context.

Whilst TCS is a pro spay and neuter site, we do not lecture members on BYB etc when their question does not relate to it, and especially when the member is adopting a kitten and has had no say in how the pregnancy occurred. Please keep this in mind when posting in this and other TCS forums.

This thread will now be locked as the question has been addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.