how far along is she? and how long till she gives birth?

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i’ve recently moved to a new house and befriended this stray cat. she has gotten pregnant by another stray and i was hoping to take care of her while she gives birth and her kittens afterwards so i really want to know how long approximately till she gives birth.

Attachments

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catlover102 , welcome to our board!

I believe that the gestation period is about 60 days. How long the kitty pictured has, I don't know, but I'd plan on sooner instead of later.

She'll let you know when she's getting ready to deliver. She'll look for a quiet, snug "den" to do it in. If you and she are really friends (looks like you are, horray!), you might be able to get her to do it in your house or other safe place. I've had kitties give birth a number of times in my bedroom closet and under my bed (before I got them fixed). I'd also plan ahead for a nice, safe home for mama and babies if you can. Kittens are fragile when they're small, till they're about 4 months old, and will need special care.

In any case, you've come to the right place; we have de facto Ph.Ds in kitty maternity and kitten care here, and if any of them overrule what I say, go with what they say.

The kitty looks so sweet! Just like my Tar Baby.

tar baby taxes curly toes.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover102

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have just come home and the stray cat which i have befriended seems to have some sort of discharge that i noticed while she was eating. i want to know if this means she is in labor and what else i should look out for in case she is. she is also acting weird, every couple of minutes she is attempting to lick clean and lifting her leg up which is new she also seems uncomfortable but she isn’t nesting or meowing. The picture isn’t the most pleasant XD

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be getting very close to going into labor. Vaginal discharge is normal for a few days prior to labor starting as her body prepares. Just keep an eye on her!