Does the cat need help?

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have read my previous threads, then you know I have been having a stray cat in my backyard everyday since November 2018.
However, yesterday, with a few connections, I found out that this cat has an owner and is not a stray. There are apartments behind my house so I know the owner lives there. I found out that the owner has multiple cats and a dog(don't know how true this is) and that he lets the cats go out. If this for a fact is true, then I have a few questions.
1. Why is that this cat stays at my house all night, and even sleeps in the little house I got her at night.
2. Why does the cat go back to the owner despite the owner not giving her food? (I always give her food, everyday, so I am assuming she comes to me for food because the owner doesn't give it to her)

I also think that the cat's owners may not be treating her well. Here are a few signs why I think that might be:
1. She comes for food at my house (owners don't seem to give her food and just let her stay out)
2. She is almost always there on my deck, napping and eating. (she doesn't like the owner's house or the way she is treated there?)
3. The cat lets me pet her but she never would rub herself onto me or touch me.
4. The cat gets very scared when I even move my leg or change my position while petting her and runs away
5. Seems scared of wind when its windy (suggests she is not use to the outside environment)
6. I bought her a few cat toys and she gets scared of them too and doesn't play with it.

She would never eat in front of me, only when I come back in my house, she would start eating. She is always watching us in the house and what were doing, very curious. I would let her come in my house and she would come in for a few seconds and then run away scared. In general, she seems very shy and scared.

I am really planning to rescue her now if all these signs are true. I have never had a cat before, so I do not know what the behaviors mean.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.

Attachments

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, I don't like that cat's apparent living situation, but I don't see any signs that the owners are doing anything that the law or even the general outdoor cat owner would view as "wrong."

She could very likely be fed by both you and her owner. Some cats just love eating and can be very convincing that they're hungry when they're actually getting plenty of food.

The rest of her behavior sounds like a cat that hasn't had a ton of human interaction, or at least not lately, but not like a cat that's been physically abused at all. It's also likely partly a personality thing. Some cats are just naturally more skittish and it's not because there's anything wrong.

If you were able to get her in a carrier and take her to the vet, check her for a microchip and any health problems or signs of neglect, that might make you feel better. Maybe it's a little dicey to take someone else's animal to the vet if you know who she belongs to, but as long as you don't have anything done to her besides an assessment, I think you're in the clear. It does not sound like they'd notice her absence for an afternoon.

If the vet does think she's been abused and she doesn't have a microchip, if it were me I would keep her in my house and never mention it to the neighbor. That's probably illegal, but I think that's a risk every cat owner takes when they let their cat outside unsupervised. They disappear sometimes, and best case scenario is that they found a new home. You'd have to work with her to help socialize her a bit, but she'd be much safer and better looked after living in a home.

If the vet says she's in good health, it gets into a morally difficult area. In that case, I think you could leave a letter with the owner and explain that you've developed a bond with this cat and ask if you could become her owner, and you would assume all responsibility for her. Surprisingly, there are people out there who are relieved when they don't have to deal with a pet anymore. But it's also equally likely that he would turn you down, and you would have to live with that (but you could still spend time with her whenever she visits you as long as he refuses to keep her inside).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now, I don't like that cat's apparent living situation, but I don't see any signs that the owners are doing anything that the law or even the general outdoor cat owner would view as "wrong."

She could very likely be fed by both you and her owner. Some cats just love eating and can be very convincing that they're hungry when they're actually getting plenty of food.

The rest of her behavior sounds like a cat that hasn't had a ton of human interaction, or at least not lately, but not like a cat that's been physically abused at all. It's also likely partly a personality thing. Some cats are just naturally more skittish and it's not because there's anything wrong.

If you were able to get her in a carrier and take her to the vet, check her for a microchip and any health problems or signs of neglect, that might make you feel better. Maybe it's a little dicey to take someone else's animal to the vet if you know who she belongs to, but as long as you don't have anything done to her besides an assessment, I think you're in the clear. It does not sound like they'd notice her absence for an afternoon.

If the vet does think she's been abused and she doesn't have a microchip, if it were me I would keep her in my house and never mention it to the neighbor. That's probably illegal, but I think that's a risk every cat owner takes when they let their cat outside unsupervised. They disappear sometimes, and best case scenario is that they found a new home. You'd have to work with her to help socialize her a bit, but she'd be much safer and better looked after living in a home.

If the vet says she's in good health, it gets into a morally difficult area. In that case, I think you could leave a letter with the owner and explain that you've developed a bond with this cat and ask if you could become her owner, and you would assume all responsibility for her. Surprisingly, there are people out there who are relieved when they don't have to deal with a pet anymore. But it's also equally likely that he would turn you down, and you would have to live with that (but you could still spend time with her whenever she visits you as long as he refuses to keep her inside).
Thank you so much! So relieved that this cat seems to be fine.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i think the cat chose you, i used to own a cat who showed up in my backyard one day, for 6 months he would show up every day, to eat, pet, and sleep on the swing chair and then would disappear . Then gradually i found him just staying around, 12 years later i am told that he is owned by the neighbour a few houses down who owned a dog. I found this strange that i am told this 12 years later, because this cat would stay with me at night, and was there during the day, and my cat would roam the neighbourhood and was free to go back to his owner and would have definitely be seen by his owner as he is a big cat, obvious to the eye . I figured if the owner really wanted him, he would have come to my door and ask for the cat, but he/she never did. And i guess my cat preferred me ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are giving the cat attention and affection, something she really wants. Most of my cats have come from the neighborhood, the neighbor had no problems with me adopting them, he didn't care. Just keep on doing what you are doing, she needs you. Everything she is doing is completely normal, she is scared and lonely. She will warm to you, with cats it just takes time for them to trust you.