Does standing up hair and busy tail always mean fear?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today Mia was in one of her frisky moods. Where she runs around like a crazy kitty. And sometimes she seems to enjoy it when we play a game or chase. I will hide and she will find me and she will run away and I will chase her and then I will run away and hide again and she will chase me and such. It’s all very cute.

But today everything was normal and we were playing chase but then for some reason her back hair all stood up and her tail got all bushy and I’m worried that I might have scared her and I feel terrible. I immediately stopped the chase game and just gave her some love. And she didn’t seem afraid of me. But I’m still worried that I might have scared her.
Or do you think she just got a bit riled up by the play?
As soon as I stopped petting her she did her usuall meowing for attention thing so I don’t think she’s too perturbed but I just wanted to check to see if I scared her or if there could be another reason for this behavior.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I dont think she was scared. Kittens and sometimes cats will sometimes puff out their fur as they are playing. They are just having fun pretending that there is an enemy and they are a fierce cat. Enjoy it, it is very cute playing.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
She probably just got worked up from playing. Cats also usually do this when they think a predator or a threat is close by, they bush their tails and make themselves appear bigger to the threat. She probably just got into the game being that she’s a kitten or was startled for a minute. I don’t think it’s a big deal.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just being playful or surprised for a moment, not to worry! Clove (who is fearless) does this all the time when she plays, complete with arching her back and walking sideways. I call it “Halloween kitty” ;) It’s so funny to watch.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My ferals do the whole nine yards while playing: , loud screeching, yowling, hissing, standing in fight mode stance pouncing, swatting, then the chase. Less than an hour later their grooming each other, eating together or napping side by side.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what you describe, I wouldn't worry or feel bad. My kitty gets all puffed when she's riled up and playful, even when she's playing by herself with a little mouse toy. It's not just fear, it's also excitement that can cause "the puff".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! It’s good to hear that she probably wasn’t actually scared of me. I would never want to scare her!

Thanks for all your input! And sorry for the late reply.