Does My Kitten Still Love Me?

Elle2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (well kitten as she’s 3 months) is a playful and loving kitten, she’s always looked up to me as her mama as I got her when she had just opened her eyes (I know probably to young to leave her mother but the owner of the litter insisted we took her immediately) so I was still giving her milk and then slowly weaned her off it to wet food. She came around quite quickly, playing, eating, drinking, using the litter tray and even sleeping and cuddling me.
Yes, you must be wondering after a lovely start to this story you may be wondering why I’m asking such a shocking question. Well, here’s why.
Less then an hour ago, I went to the toilet and left the door open (my kittens not really confident enough to leave the room yet). As I came back into the room I couldn’t see her, I looked outside and couldn’t see her so I thought she may be under the bed. I closed the door behind me and heard a loud screech. She was behind my legs and I trapped her tail in the door, I immediately opened the door and she ran off. I’m quite an emotional person I must say and I care more for animals than most people. I opened the treat draw which she ALWAYS comes out to and she didn’t want to come, so I placed a few on the floor hoping she would come out and she did but whenever I peaked to look over onto the floor she ran off.
Knowing she might’ve been injured: when she came out again I picked her up and made sure she wasn’t injured (thankfully she isn’t) but when I was holding her she hissed at me and I let her go because I understood that she might still be in a state of shock.
Around 45mins has passed, she’s walking around and jumping up things. On the other hand, whenever I lean in to pet her she runs away or hisses and she has never hissed at me before. I don’t know what else to do, I wouldn’t dare hurt an animal intentionally but I feel like she thinks it was intentional.
Could somebody please help me? Xx

P.S- That photo was taken last night :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elle2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me just add, the owner of the litter said the kittens were 8 weeks when she gave the kitten out to us when she was only 5 so we didn’t know but we thought that she was quite small and the gets gave us some advice on how to look after her properly as she left her mother too early.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you must feel so awful for hurting her but it was an accident and many kittens get hurt by humans unintentionally. They're so tiny and elusive and it sometimes gets them into a bit of trouble. Your kitty will forgive you in no time and will be loving on you again; just let her come to you :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stepped on my feral's tails and they shied from me for about a week. Kittens are so tiny and fragile they can be hurt unintentionally very easily. It takes a while to learn to watch every step, closing every door, and making a house kittenproof so injury does not result. Sometimes it just can't be helped, like what happened to you. It could have been MUCH worse, I'm (and you are too) thankful it wasn't. You hurt her and she needs to forget that. She will in time. It may take a day or two, but kittens are SO energetic and into everything, she will come back to you quickly. Try to engage her in play with a wand or toys. Talk softly to her and leave treats so she associates good things with you. I know you feel bad, and she will too.
Since she was so young when she was taken from her family, she will most likely have behavioral problems when she gets older. Especially since she does not have another kitten with her so they can teach each other limits and how to play nice. Kittens learn this between 6-12 weeks playing/roughousing with their siblings and getting disciplined by mom. Do NOT let her bite your hands, always offer a toy instead. if she comes at you in mock rough play, discourage this by saying NO loudly or even hissing at her, and leaving the room for a few minutes. As she gets older, this rough play can really hurt. Get a kickeroo on amazon and throw it for her to bunny kick, it is great to get rid of excess energy. I keep one 'steeping' in cat nip in a plastic bag at all times to distract my cats.
I'm sorry this happened to you, but believe me, as young as she is she will come around quickly, maybe even tomorrow. You sound like a caring, loving parent towards her, and no 'parent' is perfect! Please keep us posted!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I stepped on my feral's tail once - got a good shriek out of him. I'm a little surprised I could do that because up to that point he was friendly but often kept a safe distance. He ran and hid and gave me the most pitiful looks until I went to work. All was forgiven once I got home.

Just give her a little time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elle2000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, thank you so much for your advice and support. Eventually she came around later that evening, she’s perfectly fine and happy, being a little terror running around everywhere. Also, she does have a problem with biting my hands but I just put her on the floor and ignore her and eventually she’ll leave me alone and find something else to play with and I’ll reward her for playing with her toys instead of biting me as I don’t want her to grow up and be aggressive.
I love my animals ever so dearly and hurting her gave me more of a shock then it did her I think haha. She’s fine now and she’s still very small so it’s quite hard to see where she is at all times as she’s always darting around my room but I hope she’ll come around pretty soon ❤