Does my kitten sleep too much

Fredbear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a 4 month old kitten who sleeps just about all the time. He has loads of toys a cat tree and plus I am home all the time. He is a very happy boy loves to just cuddle up all the time. Is this normal ? Occasionally he will have a mad 5 mins. He has been checked over at the vets and they say he is fine

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have a 4 month old kitten who sleeps just about all the time. He has loads of toys a cat tree and plus I am home all the time. He is a very happy boy loves to just cuddle up all the time. Is this normal ? Occasionally he will have a mad 5 mins. He has been checked over at the vets and they say he is fine
That is absolutely kitten behavior. Kittens (and cats for that matter) can sleep as much as 18 hours a day. Kittens also get can get a case of the zoomies, fall asleep in the most random places at the most random times, and then be back to the zoomies after they charge their kitten batteries.
You have nothing to worry about.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It a healthy kitten like yours is sleeping most of the day it is probably because it was up all night playing. In any case, nothing to worry about. Just let him have as much undisturbed sleep as he wants.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's entirely normal. Kittens sleep a LOT. Adults cats sleep 15-18 hours a day, with some sleeping 20 hours a day...and kittens sleep more than cats! If he's eating like a horse, and has SOME play time, he's just a normal kitten. Cats are crepuscular, which means they are most active at dawn and dusk, so he may be quietly running amok while you are sleeping.

Katy Perkins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While the number of hours kittens sleep may seem excessive to new kitten owners, oversleeping in kittens is usually no cause to worry. If you notice your sleepy kitten seems to be low on energy when he is awake or if the amount he sleeps increases, this can indicate a medical problem, such as anemia. The short answer is that kittens need a lot of sleep. They will sleep from 18-22 hours a day and will be moving non-stop in the short times they are awake. Don't be concerned about this amount of sleep as it's perfectly normal for your kitten and allows their proper development in becoming an adult cat