Does My Kitten Play Too Rough Or Is Our Kitten Too Young?

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i posted previously on here about finding a shy cat, although i didn't get a shy cat i got pepper who is very active and loves to play, and i love to play with her she's very loving and loves to cuddle at night. Problem is 14 days later my older sister (she's 20?) Got a free kitten, and we have no idea how old she is my guess is 5 weeks old she has teeth but only Eats canned food and can poop and pee by herself, and I'm aware that's a bad thing because she got taken away from her mother too young. Anyway my sister decides she doesn't want to take care of the kitten, i can't take care of the kitten right now because of my 14 week old cat pepper. She basically tackles the cat and plays with her like a cat toy less agression of course but still way too rough. So should i keep them seperate and stop trying to make them get along. I do play with both the cats separately but I'd rather them play together. It makes me angry how tiny the kitten is, because this could've all been avoided if she knew better. I'll post pictures of the kitten if i can i gotta take pictures of her on my moms phone, i have really bad camera quality.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, 5 weeks old is too young to be with a 14 week old kitten so you should definitely keep the baby in it’s own room and keep them separate for another five weeks or so. Be sure the kitten’s room has a warm place for her to sleep with something like a stuffed animal she can cuddle with.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 is likely right. However, since you don't know how old the kitten is, and maybe you don't exactly know what normal play looks like either, it wouldn't hurt if you want to show us a video.

I've really only once seen a video of a small kitten being played with roughly enough to be a huge concern once. But it can happen, and if the kitten is really anywhere near 5 weeks, it is a real issue.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, 5 weeks old is too young to be with a 14 week old kitten so you should definitely keep the baby in it’s own room and keep them separate for another five weeks or so. Be sure the kitten’s room has a warm place for her to sleep with something like a stuffed animal she can cuddle with.
I disagree with this, another 5 weeks? WHY 5? Sure he is young be he lacks the companionship he would have growing up with another young cat. They don't have to be together 24/7 but play sessions are definitely not a bad idea.

The concern I would have is whether or not both these kittens are healthy. The 5 week old is too young to be tested and vaccinated. The 14 week old should already have 2 rounds of vaccines on board and hopefully tested too. So it depends on the risk you want to take.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
I disagree with this, another 5 weeks? WHY 5? Sure he is young be he lacks the companionship he would have growing up with another young cat. They don't have to be together 24/7 but play sessions are definitely not a bad idea.

The concern I would have is whether or not both these kittens are healthy. The 5 week old is too young to be tested and vaccinated. The 14 week old should already have 2 rounds of vaccines on board and hopefully tested too. So it depends on the risk you want to take.

I forgot to mention the kitten doesn't have any of her shots, because my sister doesn't have the money i don't know when she's gonna get the kitten vaccinated but that was my first concern when she brought the kitten into the house.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 is likely right. However, since you don't know how old the kitten is, and maybe you don't exactly know what normal play looks like either, it wouldn't hurt if you want to show us a video.

I've really only once seen a video of a small kitten being played with roughly enough to be a huge concern once. But it can happen, and if the kitten is really anywhere near 5 weeks, it is a real issue.

Its nothing horribly vicious its just my cat doesn't realize the kitten is too small to be playing rough. I will keep them separated, i just feel bad for the kitten since she doesn't get to play a lot.

Butter Butt

Purdy Professional
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know where the kitten sleeps honestly i think on her bed maybe, me and my sister aren't on the best terms.