Does my kitten need a friend after losing her brother?

evealexandra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
At the beginning of March 2020, we (my mum, dad and I) bought two 10(ish) week old kittens. They were brother and sister (Archie and Tilly) and the only two in the litter. We brought them home and everything was great, except we couldn’t get a Vet check-up appointment until the end of March - we booked this, as we had not many other choices.

Unfortunately, around 2 weeks later, Archie died with unknown causes. We took Tilly to an emergency vet appointment, and she was given the all clear. This loss upset everyone, including Tilly who had spent her entire life with Archie and hadn’t been separated from him before (and had never had any other siblings to separate from). However, over the past few weeks she’s been improving and I would say that she is mostly out of her grieving period.

We originally wanted two kittens as both of my parents work full time jobs, and I’m in full time education - so we wanted them to have someone to play with. Currently, we are in lockdown due to covid-19 and the likelihood is there’s going to be someone home until around September of this year. However, when September comes around and we’re all back out again full time, I’m wondering how Tilly will cope after being in constant company for 6 months. I’m wondering whether people think it’s a good idea to find another kitten that’s a similar age to her (12-16 weeks) so that she has some feline company, especially when September does roll around.

Any advice or guidance? She seems alright now, but I’m worried about her in the future!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss of Archie 😿 If you can I would get her a new companion. It is easier when they are young.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, I'm so sorry about Archie, it's always so hard...... :(

If you were planning on two, and still want two, I say go for it.
She will benefit from another kitten around her age. And getting a second one while still a kitten, makes introductions (usually) so much easier. Not only that but it tends to help curb "kitten antics" as they can burn off energy with each other. It should also help them develop better manners. Although mom cat usually keeps kittens in line, once away, play fighting with "siblings" teaches them how hard to bite, not using claws etc...so it helps to make sure you have a "better behaved" cat as it gets older.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think kittens usually do much better in pairs. You said you don’t know why Archie died. There are some contagious diseases that can linger. I would talk to your vet about that before bringing another one into the house but if that is cleared I say go for it.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just want to suggest that if you're getting another kitten, don't buy it. Adopt! Please. For the better of cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! She is young enough to accept a new playmate and at her age she definitely needs one. They still need some introduction time but usually it is very short for kittens.

Sabbers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say yes she is still young. The adoption place near me only homes kittens in pairs or a single kitten to someone with a young cat already. I think it's a great idea to give her a companion.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two cats is better than one, I always say. Both of you will be happier with two.