Does my kitten have worms? How long until she's better?

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed a few days ago that my kittens (she's 3mo) belly is quite bloated and firm. She eats a lot (I mean a lot!) so first I thought it might be just a food belly.

We took her to the vet when we first got her (two weeks ago), they tested her poop and told us that she doesn't need deworming because she has no parasites. (I had to bring the poop, we have another cat, and even though I tried very hard to get the right poop, I could have messed it up).

I noticed her meowing when she goes to the litter box (she's a siamese cat - she practically meows all the time so it took me a day to connect the dots).

She's still eating a lot, but she goes to the litter box immediately after she finishes eating and she still meows either while doing her business or right after it.

We went to the vet again, he suggested olive oil to help her digest and he wanted to test another poop sample, but I asked him to give me the deworming medicine either way because I didn't want to wait with treatment any longer.

So today is day two of her treatment (vet said to give her a quarter if a pill three days in a row), I think her belly is a bit smaller and softer but still bloated.

So how long should it take her to get better? Is there anything else I could do to help her? I've given her the olive oil too, but she's eating only wet food so I'm not sure why she would be constipated in the first place?

I've put my other cat on dewormer too. What else could I do to prevent him from getting the worms?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for the long post, it's just that I worry a lot and need some reassurance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The worm pill will eradicate any worms, and the olive oil sounds unnecessary if she’s pooping daily and not constipated.

As for her big belly, this is normal for kittens! These are her reserves to grow on. Kittens grow fast the first 6 months or so, and you’ll notice that she will elongate over time and her belly will slim. Once she is spayed and stops growing, her metabolism will slow down and so will her appetite. She won’t have a big belly as an adult unless she overeats.

Enjoy your plump little kitten for now! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But she's not really plump - she's actually more on the skinny side being a siamese and all - her belly just looks very bloated and feels very firm. My other cat is a British Shorthair so trust me, I know what a chubby kitten looks like 😁

And for the pooping part - I'm not actually sure how much she poops. She does try a lot, but I just recently started actually checking immediately if she was successful.

sunny091

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the name of the dewormer? Typically one doesn’t cover every kind of worm/parasite.

also, how does the poop look? Is she pooping in the box? Do you see anything in the poop?