Does my kitten have her adult coat now?

Mm627

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a collage of Maddie. She’s only 5 months old. It’s been awhile since I had a long haired kitten and I’m a little confused about if she has her adult coat or not. Personally, I’d love to see her be a fluffy kitty like my Maine Coon/Ragdoll was. I noticed how Maddie’s tail has puffed out. She has very long fur between her fingers and toes too.

Any guesses on how big she’ll get? How fluffy?
B22AA8D8-3178-4A65-BA6C-44EF9094A613.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think she'll have her adult coat yet at only 23 weeks.

We also have a cat whose coat is very different in summer and winter.. you might find her more floofy in winter 🥶!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is definitely not short hair, but she is not quite long hair either, though her coat could still fill out. going by her tail and the ruff on her neck she is considered medium hair, though she will be designated as long hair. Her coat will not be finished until she is a year old, or maybe two, so changes may still be coming! She is stunning!

kittywhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No the adult coat is not in yet but kitten fluff is gone. It seems to me that many long haired cats look shorter then they will later at 5 and 6 months but the tail, feet and ears are fluffy and show they are long haired. My kittens are all in that stage and I see it with many other kittens too. Someone will ask if their 5 or 6 month kitten is long haired and a bunch of the responses say the kitten is short haired or medium hair when the tail and ear furnishings show an obviously long haired cat. There is only long haired genes and the default short haired gene no medium hair genes.

Your kitten is obviously long haired because she has all the signs in the tail, ears and feet but they are just in that in between stage before the adult coat comes in but when the kitten fluff is gone. The tails only fluff out more though just like with your kitten. She has similar hair length, tail size and body size of my kitten that is 5 months. She looks like she will be decent size because her feet seem big like my 5 month kitten. She may not be one of those ultra long haired cats that have super long hair but she is long haired and time will tell how fluffy she ends up.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mm627

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! She’s also developing the cutest personality. I met her litter when they were 25 days old, and she was one of my faves.

We live in Texas, so I suppose it’ll be awhile before I see how fluffy she’ll really get.

Appreciate all of the info :)