Does my kitten have a bloated belly?

maplemiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Could you please take a look at my kitten and see if I am just imagining things? I feel like his belly is a bit bigger than usual. This is about 2 hours after one feeding.

F95CA310-A71F-4A7F-B473-F53686B2866C_1_105_c.jpeg

B8B3CFC7-0C39-44D9-BB00-E9F4CD32A241_1_105_c.jpeg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hard to tell in a photo.
How old is he? When did you get him? Has he been seen by a vet yet? If so was a fecal test done? Very possible he has some kind of parasite, which is relatively easy to knock out with medications. A cat doesn't necessarily show signs of being infected so it can be easy to miss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maplemiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hard to tell in a photo.
How old is he? When did you get him? Has he been seen by a vet yet? If so was a fecal test done? Very possible he has some kind of parasite, which is relatively easy to knock out with medications. A cat doesn't necessarily show signs of being infected so it can be easy to miss.
Thanks for the reply. He is 9 weeks old. I got him last week and I have the vet check-up booked next week. Should I take him to a vet immediately?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally feel it's a bit too long to wait. Ideally, any cat should be seen by their new vet within a few days of arriving at the new home. I know that due to the pandemic it's become more difficult to establish yourself with a vet and sometimes wait times for routine visits are pushed back somewhat.

As long as he's eating, drinking, using his box and is playful there's probably no emergency. However, if you see any worms in his poo, or he seems constipated or having loose stools I'd try for sooner.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got good advices.
I just want to mention, if you can find and get raw goats milk, its almost always a good supplement.
Even if at this age milk is no longer necessary for kittens. But raw goats milk is healthsome, and has some potential soothing properties for sensitive belly problems.

maplemiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally feel it's a bit too long to wait. Ideally, any cat should be seen by their new vet within a few days of arriving at the new home. I know that due to the pandemic it's become more difficult to establish yourself with a vet and sometimes wait times for routine visits are pushed back somewhat.

As long as he's eating, drinking, using his box and is playful there's probably no emergency. However, if you see any worms in his poo, or he seems constipated or having loose stools I'd try for sooner.
Thanks for the advice. I spoke with the vet to see if I can move the appointment up and they said to monitor him tonight and if it persists give them a call tomorrow morning. If I see any huge changes in his behaviour or eggs in poo, I will go to an emergency. <3

maplemiso

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You got good advices.
I just want to mention, if you can find and get raw goats milk, its almost always a good supplement.
Even if at this age milk is no longer necessary for kittens. But raw goats milk is healthsome, and has some potential soothing properties for sensitive belly problems.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind. That's very nice to know.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is he eating? Is he eating a great deal? Is he pooping normally? Most kittens eat quite a bit several times a day and can appear bloated until they poop. Otherwise, deworming will help.

pringandpan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also have a kitten with bloated belly. He was dewormed many times, but there's no improvement in his belly. He is now 14 weeks old, we got him when he was 10 weeks old. A whole month of deworming. Any updates on your kitten?