Does my cat need more food?

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s been 2 weeks since I adopted my 2 year old DSH. She’s currently at an ideal weight (4 kgs/ 8.8 lbs) and the vet gave me some tips on calculating her daily calorie intake to help me help her maintain her current weight. She’s okay to have 240 kcal/ day and I’ve divided that up by giving her one can of wet food in the morning and another can of wet food at night. I time her dry food in the middle of the day since she tends to eat until she’s full and then begs for more in 4 hours. This is where I need advice. I’m engaging in some 30-45 mins intense play with her everyday just before meal times. However, she’s unbearable in the evening. She acts like she’s dying of starvation. She is digging into her empty food bowl, if I move the bowl away she goes in search for it around the kitchen. The vet has given her a clean bill of health and so I’m wondering does she need more food than I’m giving her?

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll let other more experienced posters weigh in, but my cat wasn't really fully grown until she was three years old, so maybe your cat is still growing and needs/wants more to eat? I consider a two year old a bit of a teenager, and you know how much they eat!!
she is a lucky cat to get so much intense playtime with you - but 30-45 minutes each seems like a lot to me (esp since it is intense) and she might really be burning up calories because of it. If she loves to play that long and that hard, I would say feed her however much she wants--shes earned it!
Many owners do a play session + feed just before bed. It tires the cat out, and the food keeps them sated overnight.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat one can 5.5 oz 3x a day. I never did the calculating. Cats in the wild normally eat 3x a day. To help even more I use a timer for canned food when I'm in bed splitting her morning meal. 2 yrs old some cats have gotten out of their kitten stage. My cat Maggie took longer. My cats are 7,8,and 9 pds. 6,7,8 yrs old. As adults they do not need as much calories but since your cat is so active she might still eat like a kitten. Some cats know when to stop,some don't. She is very happy. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. I feel better about not over feeding her. I was worried if I put her into a routine of expecting a lot of food it might become the norm for her thus starting a weight gain cycle. There's also a lot of new pet mom anxiety at play here :nervous:

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just be sure to treat her for intestinal worms, as they can cause intense hunger even though she is getting enough food. You should be able to pick up a pill or liquid from your local vet.

Also, you may want to look into foods with higher protein levels. Higher protein generally make cats feel fuller for longer :)

I have a 4kg boy who gets around 200-220 calories a day and he is a healthy weight.