Does my cat need a sweater?

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I know this sounds like a ridiculous question but my kitty seems to ALWAYS be cold. I first got her over the summer so it was still pretty warm but even then she sat with everything tucked in really tight. She is very tiny cat, if you didn't know any better you would think she was a few months old, so I'm wondering if she just has a hard time keeping herself warm. Now that we are getting into the colder months here, she just moves from one heat vent to the next. We have plenty of fuzzy blankets and her bed is in front of a space heater because the past few nights she's been shivering but no matter how warm we keep the house she still acts like she's chilly. I'm wondering if I should try a sweater, she wears a harness just fine so I'd assume a sweater wouldn't bother her. Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats with an undercoat will be warmer without a sweater than with one. Because they puff up their undercoat for insulation, but a sweater will squish it flat. But you could try a sweater and see if she's more comfortable with one. Do you know anyone with a small dog so you could borrow a sweater before you actually buy one?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You could try a sweater, to see if she tolerates it. Usually, I’ve only heard about Sphynx cats needing sweaters, but all cats are individuals, like people, so maybe she would like having a sweater. But, you could also try heating your house more, if possible (I know that could get expensive). If you do try a sweater, let us know how it goes!

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
My 16 yr old cat needed a sweater because he couldn’t seem to get warm. He was anemic from kidney failure 😕. We bought a couple of them from the humane society thrift store for a dollar...just a suggestion;

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an older human and easily get chilled. I also have a small kitty that gets chilled more quickly than the others. We often share a heating pad or electric blanket. I set these on low for safety and if I have to leave the house I turn them off. I discovered that using baby blankets sort of tented over a hooded cat bed was something she found helpful. It retains her body heat better. I also have a hooded litter box that I use as a house instead of a litter box. It is lined with blankets and covered with one. She likes that too. I would get her checked by a vet too though. Maybe they can suggest a way to help her bulk up a bit and make sure she isn’t lacking any nutrients. Anemia is something we dealt with when I first got her as a rescue. She’s acting much warmer now. I don’t think asking about a sweater is ridiculous at all! I’m glad you care and asked about keeping her warm!:clap2:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless they are old or sickly they don't typically need anything special to stay warm. They have a fur coat with insulation for that exact purpose. Just like long haired cats don't need shaved in the warm months. They groom to cool off when needed. They have a whole system in place to stay comfy. Often they like to lay on a warm surface or in the sun, but they are able to leave that area if they get too warm, where a sweater, or shaving in the summer gives them no options for their own personal comfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I was planning on making a makeshift sweater before I went out and spent any money. Also, she has been to the vet and everything seemed to check out, she does have a sensitive stomach but the food she's on is working really well. The vet seems to think that's just how she's built. Our house is kept at about 72-75 and we're all sweating and she's still cold :lol: I'm not so comfortable with heating pads or blankets because we had a little situation with one heating up so much it started to melt the plastic covering. I haven't tried a covered bed yet so I think I'll give that a try first and see how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't over think it too much. Throw down some fleece blankets in various places. She will keep warm if she needs to. Cool ears don't necessarily mean they are uncomfortable. 72 degrees is more than reasonable.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A SnuggleSafe is a great warming pad to place under a blanket or towel :) You heat it in the microwave following the instructions on the pad exactly. Mine takes 5 minutes but it may take longer or less depending on your microwave wattage. The newer ones have slightly different heating info as shown here.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A SnuggleSafe is a great warming pad to place under a blanket or towel :) You heat it in the microwave following the instructions on the pad exactly. Mine takes 5 minutes but it may take longer or less depending on your microwave wattage. The newer ones have slightly different heating info as shown here.
Thank you! I'll definitely have to get one of those, it seems a lot safer than leaving a heating pad plugged in. Can I get that specific brand on Amazon? Or is there a dupe product you also like using?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get SnuggleSafe pads off Amazon and pet supply web sites like Chewy.com You may want to compare prices first. Normal cost is around $30. Some Amazon sellers sell the SnuggleSafe for a ridiculous amount and want shipping cost on top of that. Your local pet store (Petco, Petsmart, independent store, etc) may also have SnuggleSafe pads.

Here's another microwaveable pet safe pad you can buy:

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Need? I would say not really. Our cats will either be curled up so close to the fireplace, one would think they would melt. Fur almost hot to the touch....OR....they'll be out on the back porch all night when it's in the teens. Both being their choice.
I gave up on trying to figure it out. :lol:

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Need? I would say not really. Our cats will either be curled up so close to the fireplace, one would think they would melt. Fur almost hot to the touch....OR....they'll be out on the back porch all night when it's in the teens. Both being their choice.
I gave up on trying to figure it out. :lol:
My childhood cat who unfortunately passed away last year, was a lover of the cold :lol: He came to us as a stray and probably lived his entire life outside before we brought him in. We tried to baby him with blankets in the winter but he preferred to just run around in the snow. My kitty now is the first completely indoor cat I've ever had so I wasn't really sure how warm they like to be kept :lol:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The ideal temp for most cats is around 75-80 F. Too hot for my taste, but that is why they often hunker down infront of or near heat sources, and also why most like to cuddle (humans are very warm, lol). I got my cats one of those self heating pads, the ones that they lay on and their body heat reflects back to them, not electricity needed and they can't get any hotter then the cat itself is. My cats actually fight over who gets to sleep on it, even in the summer (I plan to get more). I got this one , incase you aren't sure what I am talking about. :)