Does my cat look like he could have Ocicat or egyptian mau in him?

Marshmallow918

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted him from a shelter a year ago and dont have much background in him. All we know is he was originally adopted out about a month before we got him and got sent back declawed. We don't know family line or anything.

He was listed as a tabby cat and I'm sure he is, but I've had so many people tell me that his fur pattern looks very exotic and wild for a tabby. I started to wonder about it and looked into some breeds and found he looked like an odd mix between a domestic tabby, ocicat, and an egyptian mau.

The pictures don't show it very well, but he's mostly a tawny bisque color with many orangey undertones. His "stripes" also very spotted.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's very handsome!

I would describe your cat as a brown spotted domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs. Other than the spots, I'm not seeing a resemblance in these pictures to the Ocicat or Egyptian Mau breeds. However, looking at your cat's short thick tail and sturdy body style, I actually wonder if he might have a British Shorthair ancestor, since he has a more "cobby" appearance than the average domestic cat. British Shorthairs come in spotted tabby as well.