does my cat look like a normal tabby?

hannahgeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten oogi is about a month old and i feel like he’s pretty big for his age, he has large ears, his tail is extremely long, he acts extremely wild, he doesn’t mind water, he’s spotted and has some crescent shaped spots too. his head is more orange looking and his body is more grey. I don’t know if he’s just a wild tabby or maybe something more! i’ll include some pictures..

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten oogi is
image.jpg
about a month old and i feel like he’s pretty big for his age, he has large ears, his tail is extremely long, he acts extremely wild, he doesn’t mind water, he’s spotted and has some crescent shaped spots too. his head is more orange looking and his body is more grey. I don’t know if he’s just a wild tabby or maybe something more! i’ll include some pictures..

Attachments

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Handsome fellow. I think he is more than four weeks. Kittens are wild and if an only cat or kitten, I recommend wand toys for play. But be careful not to leave out as cats will sometimes eat the string.
He has a very nice tabby pattern but that is normal In domestic cats. I am not seeing Bengal in him but he does have big ears so maybe some Maine Coon in his background.

hannahgeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the reply! he was born may 3rd so he’s definitely a little bit older than a month! i should’ve put that in there! and his tail is so long along with his ears! maybe you’re right some maine coon background!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten oogi is about a month old and i feel like he’s pretty big for his age, he has large ears, his tail is extremely long, he acts extremely wild, he doesn’t mind water, he’s spotted and has some crescent shaped spots too. his head is more orange looking and his body is more grey. I don’t know if he’s just a wild tabby or maybe something more! i’ll include some pictures..
I would guess he has Serval cat genes. He is probably a Savannah cat. Not sure what level of Serval genes he has. Everything you write, plus his physical appearance, points to that.

hannahgeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would guess he has Serval cat genes. He is probably a Savannah cat. Not sure what level of Serval genes he has. Everything you write, plus his physical appearance, points to that.
that’s the breed that i thought he resembled as well! thank you for replying <3

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thank you for the reply! he was born may 3rd so he’s definitely a little bit older than a month! i should’ve put that in there! and his tail is so long along with his ears! maybe you’re right some maine coon background!
Not likely - Maine Coons are long hair cats. Big ears are a common look in kittens - they grow into their ears eventually.
Tabby is a coat pattern (stripes, rosettes spots), not a breed so no - not a "wild tabby".

He's a domestic short hair, I think Spotted Tabby with White (hard to tell from that one photo) - not so sure what color. I'm sure someone else will know much better than I do!

hannahgeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not likely - Maine Coons are long hair cats. Big ears are a common look in kittens - they grow into their ears eventually.
Tabby is a coat pattern (stripes, rosettes spots), not a breed so no - not a "wild tabby".

He's a domestic short hair, I think Spotted Tabby with White (hard to tell from that one photo) - not so sure what color. I'm sure someone else will know much better than I do!
i was asking if he was just a wild tabby as in personality, he has a super wild personality and he might just be a tabby, so i said a wild tabby. i think he might have savannah cat in him, but i’m not sure.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i was asking if he was just a wild tabby as in personality, he has a super wild personality and he might just be a tabby, so i said a wild tabby. i think he might have savannah cat in him, but i’m not sure.
Very doubtful. First, honestly I do not see any particular breed in him. All kittens are wild LOL. Some more than others :)

Cats are not like dogs in regards to breeds. They haven't evolved as much and it's not possible to find out a breed through DNA tests so unless one absolutely knows for sure (i.e. having papers proving their heritage going back many generations) the cat is a domestic cat - even if, it looks like a specific breed since so many attributes are common between cats and do not vary all that much.

It's SO unlikely a pedigreed cat would mate with a domestic cat, or even to have an intact cat get out and mate randomly. Good breeders do not allow that to happen - they keep strict control over their cats because they care about breed standards. Not to say it can't happen but since pedigree cats are only 1-3% of the entire cat population you can easily see how near impossible it would be.

Domestic cats are great though! Both of ours have been/are wonderful companions!

hannahgeliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten oogi is View attachment 384038about a month old and i feel like he’s pretty big for his age, he has large ears, his tail is extremely long, he acts extremely wild, he doesn’t mind water, he’s spotted and has some crescent shaped spots too. his head is more orange looking and his body is more grey. I don’t know if he’s just a wild tabby or maybe something more! i’ll include some pictures..
Very doubtful. First, honestly I do not see any particular breed in him. All kittens are wild LOL. Some more than others :)

Cats are not like dogs in regards to breeds. They haven't evolved as much and it's not possible to find out a breed through DNA tests so unless one absolutely knows for sure (i.e. having papers proving their heritage going back many generations) the cat is a domestic cat - even if, it looks like a specific breed since so many attributes are common between cats and do not vary all that much.

It's SO unlikely a pedigreed cat would mate with a domestic cat, or even to have an intact cat get out and mate randomly. Good breeders do not allow that to happen - they keep strict control over their cats because they care about breed standards. Not to say it can't happen but since pedigree cats are only 1-3% of the entire cat population you can easily see how near impossible it would be.

Domestic cats are great though! Both of ours have been/are wonderful companions!
gotcha! thank you

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I see a Domestic Shorthair (DSH) Brown Mackerel Tabby. I think broken mackerel rather than spotted tabby pattern because the spots are in regular lines, not a random scatter.

I expect he'll grow into his ears soon enough. For comparison, these are my girls at 4 weeks, 3 months, and 1 year. Hugs2.jpg 2PatchedTabbies.jpg Cali-Iris1year.jpg

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your kitten is ADORABLE!!!! His coat is GORGEOUS!! Congrats! It is possible to adopt a breed specific kitty. Savannahs have some characteristics that are unique to their breed only though. You have to look beyond the coat pattern/color.

Some very specific indicators that are unique to Savannah kittens are:
1. hooded eyes, also called boomerang shape. Some Savannahs though may take more after the Siamese or Oriental Shorthair eye shape though.
2. Ocelli marks on back of ears
3. Cotton texture vs silk texture fur
4. 'Cheetah dip' in back. When they walk, their body looks just like a Cheetah (as does the Serval)
5. Tear stains that look like the thick lines that come from the eyes and border nose like a Cheetah. Some are more noticeable than others and become more noticeable as the kitten grows.
6. Pants like a dog.
7. Make distinct vocalizations
8. Can be trained to walk on a leash in 3, 2, 1,,,

Other indicators that you may see in other breeds but are part of Savannahs:

1. Very noticeably long toes, feet, long legs
2. Black lips
3. Can come in different coat colors ( not all colors) and TICA only accepts silver or golden with spots. The other non TICA standard but coveted coat is the marble coat aka Classic Tabby.
4. Black tipped tail

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited: