Does my cat have CKD?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the email below from my vet. I was expecting to get good results for Kitty. She's 10 years old and 15 lbs. But I have been recently really focused on lessening her portions and helping her exercise. Which has led to a small weight loss. Do these results mean she has CKD? if she does, what stage is she in?

I will ask the vet these questions too but taking Kitty in tomorrow to do a urine test so he can give me more information.

I tried taking her today to do a urine test but she didn't have enough urine in her bladder. I broke down really badly and the lady trying to take my cats urine sample had to calm me down. I'm feeling lost as to what to do. i home make my cat food. am I supposed to change her food? I cook chicken thighs at home and add the supplement from "know better pet food." Kitty seems healthy and happy to me. She eats normally, and we have play time every single day. I am feeling so confused and lost.

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 9.06.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 9.07.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 9.07.36 PM.png

Good afternoon. Attached you'll find the wellness results. There were some abnormalities that are concerning. 2 of the 3 parameters that we used to assess kidney health came back elevated. The SDMA and creatinine were both outside the normal range. This usually indicates some form of kidney insufficiency. We really would like to correlate a urine analysis to further define the kidney health. Can we bring in a urine sample sometime this week? If not we can bring her in and try to collect 1 directly from her bladder. I would like the urine analyzed and then we can come up with a plan for her. Let me know your thoughts.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there with this until they're able to do the urine test, and then proceed from there.

Be strong for your kitty, she is very aware of your emotions and doesn't understand why you're so upset, which in turn upsets her. :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking around to see if theres anything i can give Kitty to help her feel better and ran across a product called Kidney Support Gold - for Cat Kidney Function. Is this something i should give her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd wait until you have a more detailed conversation with the vet before attempting to start any sort of treatment/supplement. The creatinine is elevated but the SDMA is only slightly indicative of CKD. There are other reasons for an elevated creatinine level, so ask the vet about that aspect. Both values can also be influenced by dehydration, as one example. Homemade diets can sometimes also affect creatinine.

I would also ask for more information about the high MCH and low reticulocytes in Kity's CBC results. From what I know, I don't think those numbers correlate to kidney issues, but could explain why she is not feeling up to par.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd wait until you have a more detailed conversation with the vet before attempting to start any sort of treatment/supplement. The creatinine is elevated but the SDMA is only slightly indicative of CKD. There are other reasons for an elevated creatinine level, so ask the vet about that aspect. Both values can also be influenced by dehydration, as one example. Homemade diets can sometimes also affect creatinine.

I would also ask for more information about the high MCH and low reticulocytes in Kity's CBC results. From what I know, I don't think those numbers correlate to kidney issues, but could explain why she is not feeling up to par.
thank you so much for responding. i will bring that up with my vet to see what he says.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to an article on the Feline Nutrition website that discusses how bloodwork of cats (in this case specifically raw fed cats, but it really applies to all cats fed high protein diets) can deviate from the standard ranges of cats that are fed a "typical" high-carbohydrate diet.

StackPath.

Among the typical deviations one might expect are a slightly elevated Creatinine levels. I'll quote the pertinent section:

Creatinine is a muscle break-down product and is filtered from the blood by the kidneys. It will be elevated when there is kidney dysfunction, dehydration, gastrointestinal bleeding and due to dietary factors. Normal kidneys should produce consistent creatinine over time.

The slightly higher values in the raw-fed group are not surprising given that they relate to protein metabolism.

It is also not atypical to see slightly elevated BUN levels in cats fed high-protein diets (which really isn't an issue here).

The low level of Reticulocytes is what stands out (to my non-expert eyes) as a focus for discussion with you vet, as it can be a sign of kidney disease.

I would make them aware that your cat has been fed a high-protein low-carb diet (as i expect you have) as that could explain the slightly elevated Creatinine levels.

i hope you get good news.

Bill

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link to an article on the Feline Nutrition website that discusses how bloodwork of cats (in this case specifically raw fed cats, but it really applies to all cats fed high protein diets) can deviate from the standard ranges of cats that are fed a "typical" high-carbohydrate diet.

StackPath.

Among the typical deviations one might expect are a slightly elevated Creatinine levels. I'll quote the pertinent section:

Creatinine is a muscle break-down product and is filtered from the blood by the kidneys. It will be elevated when there is kidney dysfunction, dehydration, gastrointestinal bleeding and due to dietary factors. Normal kidneys should produce consistent creatinine over time.

The slightly higher values in the raw-fed group are not surprising given that they relate to protein metabolism.

It is also not atypical to see slightly elevated BUN levels in cats fed high-protein diets (which really isn't an issue here).

The low level of Reticulocytes is what stands out (to my non-expert eyes) as a focus for discussion with you vet, as it can be a sign of kidney disease.

I would make them aware that your cat has been fed a high-protein low-carb diet (as i expect you have) as that could explain the slightly elevated Creatinine levels.

i hope you get good news.

Bill
thank you for taking the time to give me all that information. i will let my vet know.

Edit: I just sent an email to my vet with all the information everyone gave to me here. thank you all for helping me to be more informed.

Last edited:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you for taking the time to give me all that information. i will let my vet know.

Edit: I just sent an email to my vet with all the information everyone gave to me here. thank you all for helping me to be more informed.
I sincerely hope the information proves helpful to your vet as they evaluate the bloodwork.

I'm hoping you get good news.

I've been aware of slightly elevated Creatinine and BUN levels in raw-fed (and high protein fed) dogs was "normal" for a long time, and suspected the same was true of cats. Such knowledge has proven helpful to others to share with their vets (who are used to seeing dogs and cats who are fed a standard American pet diet).

I hope it helps.

Bill

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Box of Rain Box of Rain thank you again for looking into this for me. i am still waiting for the vet to reach out. i am not sure what is taking so long. i took in her urine test Tuesday morning. I have a question if homemade diets cause these increases, does that mean they arent healthy? Is all the protein actually damaging her kidneys?

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Box of Rain Box of Rain thank you again for looking into this for me. i am still waiting for the vet to reach out. i am not sure what is taking so long. i took in her urine test Tuesday morning. I have a question if homemade diets cause these increases, does that mean they arent healthy? Is all the protein actually damaging her kidneys?
No, especially with cats a moisture rich diet that is naturally rich in protein helps preserve their kidneys and reduces illnesses of the kidneys and the urinary tract. That is a natural diet for cats.

That the lab work for cats that are fed a high-protein diet will look a little different than cats fed a high-carb diet is to be expected.

"Normal" lab work ranges are based on the blood work results of cats who are fed kibble, a cohort that contracts such illnesses at an alarming rate.

I don't have the expertise to understand the results on the Reticulocytes test (your vet will) but the Creatinine levels are what one might expect from a healthy cat fed a high-protein (low-carb) diet.

I hope they have some answers for you soon.

Bill

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, especially with cats a moisture rich diet that is naturally rich in protein helps preserve their kidneys and reduces illnesses of the kidneys and the urinary tract. That is a natural diet for cats.

That the lab work for cats that are fed a high-protein diet will look a little different than cats fed a high-carb diet is to be expected.

"Normal" lab work ranges are based on the blood work results of cats who are fed kibble, a cohort that contracts such illnesses at an alarming rate.

I don't have the expertise to understand the results on the Reticulocytes test (your vet will) but the Creatinine levels are what one might expect from a healthy cat fed a high-protein (low-carb) diet.

I hope they have some answers for you soon.

Bill
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I would have been so upset if the diet I was giving them was hurting them. Home cooking for them takes up so much time and effort. More time than I will ever admit to. :flail:I have COVID right now and spend 3 days grinding meat for them so I could stock up. I've been so close to giving up, but I never would because I want to do was is best for them. I am hoping to get answers soon, and hope my vet can figure out what her numbers mean. I sent him a fully detailed email so hopefully that will help us get a clear picture if anything is wrong.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I would have been so upset if the diet I was giving them was hurting them. Home cooking for them takes up so much time and effort. More time than I will ever admit to. :flail:I have COVID right now and spend 3 days grinding meat for them so I could stock up. I've been so close to giving up, but I never would because I want to do was is best for them. I am hoping to get answers soon, and hope my vet can figure out what her numbers mean. I sent him a fully detailed email so hopefully that will help us get a clear picture if anything is wrong.
I do understand the time it takes to prepare natural food for our feline (and canine) companions. It is a labor of love and it helps to preserve their health.

Even with optimal diets, cats can develop health issues. We can't prevent every illness as much as we'd want to do so.

Right now, you need to wait for expert veterinary council and I appreciate the anxiety of seeing showing up "red" on test results. Take a little solace in knowing that when things are really dire that doctors/vets tend to prioritize their calls.

Get some rest and try to heal yourself. Pushing one's energy levels while having Covid (or while in recovery) is said to increase one's risks of Long Covid, and you don't want that.

I really hope you get some news soon and that it is good news.

Feel better soon.

Bill

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand the time it takes to prepare natural food for our feline (and canine) companions. It is a labor of love and it helps to preserve their health.

Even with optimal diets, cats can develop health issues. We can't prevent every illness as much as we'd want to do so.

Right now, you need to wait for expert veterinary council and I appreciate the anxiety of seeing showing up "red" on test results. Take a little solace in knowing that when things are really dire that doctors/vets tend to prioritize their calls.

Get some rest and try to heal yourself. Pushing one's energy levels while having Covid (or while in recovery) is said to increase one's risks of Long Covid, and you don't want that.

I really hope you get some news soon and that it is good news.

Feel better soon.

Bill
Yes, I do know that. I have heard of people in perfect health with an amazing diet who still get cancer. I just hope my efforts have some positive impact even if it isnt a full defense for them.

You helped me feel better, so thank you for that.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I do know that. I have heard of people in perfect health with an amazing diet who still get cancer. I just hope my efforts have some positive impact even if it isnt a full defense for them.

You helped me feel better, so thank you for that.
When I was young I knew a very inspiring (older) man who was dedicated to optimizing his health.

He ran marathons and grew most of his own organic food on land fed by the compost he tended and spread.

He was scrupulous about every bite of food he consumed, avoiding "free-radicals" and consuming antioxidants. He carried no body fat and had the health and vitality of someone who was decades younger and in exuberant health.

When he wasn't running marathons, or growing his food, or listening to great jazz, he'd be hiking steep mountain trails at a brisk pace. What vitality!

One day he was visiting relatives up in Minnesota. It was snowing and the roads were iced. His VW van evidently hit an ice patch and went off the road. He was killed.

I was very saddened to lose him. He was a good person. The irony of the situation--his having taken every possible step to extend his life and preserve his health--was palatable to everyone who loved him.

Bill

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i am still waiting for the vet to reach out. i am not sure what is taking so long. i took in her urine test Tuesday morning.
While it varies by vet and the lab they use, urinalysis results are usually within a day or two. However, if they were also planning to perform a urine culture, that takes additional time - in some cases a week or so depending on if any bacteria is growing in the culture.

Give the vet a call and ask about the results. Feeby had urine taken on 7/27, the urinalysis results were available on 7/28, but I am still waiting on the culture results...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was young I knew a very inspiring (older) man who was dedicated to optimizing his health.

He ran marathons and grew most of his own organic food on land fed by the compost he tended and spread.

He was scrupulous about every bite of food he consumed, avoiding "free-radicals" and consuming antioxidants. He carried no body fat and had the health and vitality of someone who was decades younger and in exuberant health.

When he wasn't running marathons, or growing his food, or listening to great jazz, he'd be hiking steep mountain trails at a brisk pace. What vitality!

One day he was visiting relatives up in Minnesota. It was snowing and the roads were iced. His VW van evidently hit an ice patch and went off the road. He was killed.

I was very saddened to lose him. He was a good person. The irony of the situation--his having taken every possible step to extend his life and preserve his health--was palatable to everyone who loved him.

Bill
How sad that he died before his time. He sounded like a very inspiring and dedicated person. But at least while he was alive he had the energy to live life and enjoy it. :heartshape: At 37 years old my health isn't the best and I know it's a consequence of the unhealthy choices I have made. I went to universal studios recently and didn't enjoy myself the way I should have if I wasn't in constant pain from my weight. Anyway, sorry to get personal. :blush:

While it varies by vet and the lab they use, urinalysis results are usually within a day or two. However, if they were also planning to perform a urine culture, that takes additional time - in some cases a week or so depending on if any bacteria is growing in the culture.

Give the vet a call and ask about the results. Feeby had urine taken on 7/27, the urinalysis results were available on 7/28, but I am still waiting on the culture results...
I didn't realize it could take that long. Elsas test came back the next day. I am on the phone with them now.

Edit: They have the results but they told me the vet has to review them and will email me. Is it normal for them not to give info over the phone?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't realize it could take that long. Elsas test came back the next day. I am on the phone with them now...Edit: They have the results but they told me the vet has to review them and will email me. Is it normal for them not to give info over the phone?
I bet you Elsa did not have a urine culture done; it takes days to go through the bacterial growth process. May be true with Kitty too.

I have never had my vet's office give out results of tests before they have been reviewed by the prescribing vet. So, yes, while it can be frustrating, it does seem to be the norm. Think about it, would an employee in your doctor's office give you test results before your doctor had reviewed them?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
give out results of tests before they have been reviewed by the prescribing vet. So, yes, while it can be frustrating, it does seem to be t
Ok that is true and makes sense. It made me nervous when she didn't give much information. But it does make sense that the vet should be reviewing it first.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok that is true and makes sense. It made me nervous when she didn't give much information. But it does make sense that the vet should be reviewing it first.
If your vet is going to be out of the office for a few days and you don't want to wait, you can call their office back and ask if another vet can read the results in your vet's absence. I have done that as well when the prescribing vet was going to be out for 3-4 days.