Does my cat have a normal belly?

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been about 5 months since my cat first came home. She had just turned 2.2 years when I adopted her and 3 days before I adopted her she was spayed. At the time she weighed 3.8 kgs(8.3 lbs) and has gained since and now weighs 5.2 kgs (11.4 lbs). It took me a few days to realize she's insecure about food and will eat without knowing when she has had enough, maybe due to being a stray. Not sure. I now time her meals and give her wet food, one in the morning and one at night and some kibble in a toy in the middle of the day coz it gets her moving. I am a little concerned about the weight around her belly. I am not seeing anything suspicious in her poops, her pee is normal and she is playful. I'm attaching some videos of how her belly looks.

I tell myself it's just her primordial pouch that is prominent but sometimes the bulge on the sides of her belly concern me.

She had some ear issues and we went back and forth with vet appointments and medication and I don't want to upset her with more vet visits if it's not a real concern.

Videos: IMG_1691.mov

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say she is possibly a smidgen on the chunky side, but not a whole lot. Two observations:

1. She does have a primordial pouch. She is not helped by the fact that it is black on the sides but white along the edge. That draws your attention and makes it appear more prominent. Mostly an optical illusion. My boy has the same thing, makes your eyes go right to it but there is nothing in the pouch.
20210906_063519.jpg

2. She has a boxy body shape. She's shorter in the torso and squared in the ribs. This makes her not have the classic narrower shape on the cat weight charts. My girl has the same thing going on but my girl is bony as all get out when you pet her; the vet has told me in no uncertain terms my girl can't loose weight. Here is Rocket who also has a short torso and a tiny pouch:
IMG_20190407_141514.jpg

The only thing that makes me say slightly on the chunky side is she does have a little bulge on the side at her hips. Not significant but some. I'd put her in the same category as my boy, good to loose a little weight if it happens but shouldn't gain any. It sounds like you are doing good on her food. Might want to just see if there are lower carb options but otherwise I'd leave her be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ForeverHungry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for explaining it so well. My girl can eat till the cows come home and it got me worried whether she has worms or something else. I updated her wet food brands to grain free ones and I'm managing her kibble intake to make sure she is not eating too much. She throws quite the tantrum when she's hungry though :angrycat: