Does Mrowmrow Look Too Thin?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I noticed while M was drinking water tonight that the part where his stomach meets his hips seemed concave. I'm not sure if this was just while he was drinking/swallowing, or if it means something is wrong. Of course, now that I've picked up on it, it's all I can focus on.

I've attached some pictures. My options are a.) do nothing, b.) wait until next Saturday to take him to our local vet, or c.) take him into the emergency vet on Saturday (we used to always used them, but then we moved).

He's about 9 years old. I'm a hypochondriac with myself and my animals. This is the boy that has had a lot of health issues in his youth. He's my baby.

unnamed.jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (1).jpg

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
You should find out the average weight of 9-year-old cats and his breed, then weigh him. Here's how to weigh him without a vet. First, weigh yourself while holding him on a scale. Then, weigh just yourself. Subtract the numbers, and that is the closest you'll get without a vet weighing him.
https://www.google.com/amp/cats.lovetoknow.com/Cat_Weight_Chart.amp
The link shows characteristics of thin, underweight, good weight, overweight, and obese cats.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I can see in the pictures, he looks okay. If you think there is a real issue with he weight, you should see a vet about it. My cat Rocky is a DSH and looks skinny but long, and he is about 14.6 lbs. Moon is possibly 15-16 lbs (we aren't sure) but he is definetly a bit too chubby.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could be from the angle of the picture but his paws seems very delicate and small, he is prolly born to be a thin cat. You said he had a lot of health issue when young so i would go see your vet to make sure. Option b) is my suggestion

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could be from the angle of the picture but his paws seems very delicate and small, he is prolly born to be a thin cat. You said he had a lot of health issue when young so i would go see your vet to make sure. Option b) is my suggestion
I do think the small paws and very little hair on them make them look delicate. I agree with Lalka. Maybe being ill when young made him more delicate. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet evaluate him just so you're sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I might take him by our low cost vet office just to ask if I can use their scale. He's weighed the same (8.7-8.9 lbs.) for the last seven years. He's free fed.

He is a little guy, and the lack of fur definitely makes him look worse. I think my biggest concern is that our new "kitten" (10 months old) is huge compared to Mrowmrow, and he's constantly pouncing, wrestling, and just generally being a nuisance. I worry that Keegan is stressing him out too much. I didn't get the chance to introduce them properly, so they're not really buddies yet.

If his weight isn't what it has been, I'll definitely get him into the vet.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the skin on his nape loose, which is indicative of dehydration?
Off topic - he is a beautiful boy. And is he sporting a clipped left ear? Seeing a tipped ear makes a feral rescuer's spirits soar like a hawks because it means a successful rescue.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks pretty close in build to my 8 pound cat, who the vet said was "the ideal cat" body weight (because most cats are too heavy). So the question isn't whether the cat is too thin, it is whether there has been a sudden weight loss, which is never a good thing and can be a vet issue unless there is a good explanation like a change in food.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is the skin on his nape loose, which is indicative of dehydration?
Off topic - he is a beautiful boy. And is he sporting a clipped left ear? Seeing a tipped ear makes a feral rescuer's spirits soar like a hawks because it means a successful rescue.
I haven't noticed a change in that at all. He's been a pretty good drinker ever since I bought a fountain for him. I used to rarely see him drink; now it's much more frequently. Although evaporation has to count for some of it, between my two cats/one dog and two water bowls/one fountain, I fill them up with at least 3 mason jars of water each day.

And his ear isn't tipped, just crunchy! He had a hematoma in that ear, and it healed all crumpled like that. He'd also be a tad more handsome if he left his pants on, but he seems bound and determined to lick them off. :p

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful cat! I agree with what others have said. I think he looks like he's at a good weight, since you can't see his ribs. His legs look long and slender, and he has small paws which indicate that he's naturally fine-boned. Of course, you can always ask a vet if there's any concern.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is his cat food diet? Wet food? Dry? Both?

Don't forget that if a cat drinks TOO much, that could be a sign of some health issues.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is his cat food diet? Wet food? Dry? Both?

Don't forget that if a cat drinks TOO much, that could be a sign of some health issues.
He's on dry food only. I tried raw (and am still trying...) but he's currently being a little butthead about it. Always wants things his way. :rolleyes:

I don't think he's drinking TOO much-- normal amount of litter box time. But I'm probably going to take him to the vet, just to be safe.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 9 years old, how active has he been the last half year or so? If less active, that could be a reason for some muscles shrinking in the area you are concerned about (this is if the vet checks his health and blood work, etc., and finds he is fine health-wise). Does he do much running, leaping, jumps? Even just trotting can help those muscles.

(just inserting a muscle image for us to all look at, lol)

It's been nearly a year since my younger cat's knee surgery, and the rehab we've been building up to had her at times with skinnier hips and upper leg muscles. Now that we are doing more running and zoomies/leaping more regularly, the appearance of her back upper legs is looking more full.

She was 8 lbs. during surgery a year ago, and at a recent vet visit, has stabilized at 10 lbs though she looks just as skinny to me.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's never been super active. As a kitten, he was too sickly to want to do much-- he just slept a lot. And now, he sleeps a ton still. Sometimes he'll bat at a toy, and he'll roll on his play mat if I put down catnip, but he wasn't a hyper kitten and he's not hyper now. We go on walks outside 2-3 times a week for about 10 minutes at a time. He does the normal amount of jumping...jumps up to eat his food, jumps down, jumps up to watch over his domain from the plushy kitchen drying mat, etc. Otherwise he doesn't do very much. His favorite thing to do is sit on my lap or sleep on my chest. I think he would willingly spend the rest of his life glued to me.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i really do think that your cat is fine...about the new kitty, he ll get used to him