Does it matter which order you give Cisapride and laxative (Osmolax, Miralax etc) doses?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy’s doing very well on her Cisapride and Osmolax combination for megacolon so far. Normally I give her Cisapride first, then her Osmolax two hours later. Generally she’s become pretty good about taking her capsules, but this morning she managed to spit it out without me noticing. I give it to her when we’re both still in bed in the morning, and didn’t see it until I was making the bed, after I’d given her the Osmolax. That meant waiting another two hours before giving the Cisapride. Which leads to my question - does the order in which you give them make any difference? Is it better, say, to let the stool softener get to work before they have the motility agent? Or should the Cisapride be first? My vet never said and searching either here or on the net in general hasn’t answered the question. It’s not a biggie. Cisapride first is more convenient but if Osmolax first would be better for her, I’ll swap.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
There's a cisapride and lactoluse combined medicine, so although I'm not a vet or a vet tech but based on that, it would appear that it doesn't make a difference which is given first.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a though: You are not giving the Osmolax (Miralax), dry, in a capsule; are you? It has to be mixed with water. You cannot use it dry.

What I have done: mix up some of the Osmolax, in a tiny cup with some water. Use a baby liquid medicine syringe, or even a 10 ml feeding syringe to draw up the mix. Give the pill, and use this mix as a chaser. It is so much easier..

Or: You can use the mix to add to canned food; IF you baby cannot smell or taste it in there. It is supposed to be flavorless, but my guys always knew it was mixed in.

Good Luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a though: You are not giving the Osmolax (Miralax), dry, in a capsule; are you? It has to be mixed with water. You cannot use it dry.

What I have done: mix up some of the Osmolax, in a tiny cup with some water. Use a baby liquid medicine syringe, or even a 10 ml feeding syringe to draw up the mix. Give the pill, and use this mix as a chaser. It is so much easier..

Or: You can use the mix to add to canned food; IF you baby cannot smell or taste it in there. It is supposed to be flavorless, but my guys always knew it was mixed in.

Good Luck!
Good heavens, no! I dissolve it in water in a syringe. I can’t imagine trying to take it dry! 🤮

It’s not getting her to take it I’m curious about (she’s very good with it), merely whether it’s more effective to give it 2 hours before the Cisapride rather than 2 hours afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
There's a cisapride and lactoluse combined medicine, so although I'm not a vet or a vet tech but based on that, it would appear that it doesn't make a difference which is given first.
How curious - you’d think that would contradict all the advice about spacing them out!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry if the question was not answered and led to confusion.

I gave the cisapride and the Oxmolax at the same time. The IMVet said it was ok.. I tried to combine as much as I could.
I remember waiting a couple hours before giving the lactulose--- after the miralax/cisapride combination.

If you are having questions, I would just ask your Vet.. Each Vet, and cat are different..
so sorry if I confused you... 😔