Does it make you mad when..

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You hear someone talk about their half-purebred, half DSH kitty?

On a horse board I read someone just posted pictures of their half-Ragdoll and half moggie kitten. The kitten looks to me like it really is half-Ragdoll. So, who is selling Ragdolls without a spay/neuter contract? Obviously this was a planned cross. The poster knew a lot about the Ragdoll temperament....

Anyway, it's not my place to question the poster, but it made me angry. It also made me a bit upset reading all the following posters exclaiming about how cute it is. Of course it's cute, but what is the purpose of breeding half-breeds except for a profit.. sigh.

Recently someone sent me a link to someone planning to breed Maus with something else ( I can't remember now). Unfortunately this person was in Canada too.. Makes me feel bad.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does make me mad because they do not care about the breed.
Someone bred a sphynx to a bengal and they were bashed for it.
Another bred a sphynx with a Maine Coon.
The worse part is people buy them and think they are cute.
Btw I love the silver maus that I have seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just realized that this may offend some people with mixed cats on this board, and I know that oops breedings take place sometimes by accident. What I am talking about are people who are doing this simply for profit.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a pure breed cat, and probably never will, but I do have a deep respect for responsible breeders trying to preserve their breeds. Cross breeding on purpose is wrong and stupid. If irresponsible people continue to do it, one day there will be no pure bred cats and that would be a shame. I have a feeling that people who do this sort of thing are also the kind that believe in "letting nature take its course" and get no vet care for the mother cats or kittens.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Idk, it doesn't really bug me. It only bugs me when people breed irresponsibly, just for money or just because they like kittens. I have a half maine coon kitty but I don't go around bragging about it, plus I rescued her from a shelter so I obviously didn't get her from an irresponsible place. I look at it this way- how do you think that breeds are created? They are created by crossing different 99% of the time. And then there's always that factor that mistakes happen. I don't really let that excuse slide- if you are a responsible pet owner then you will have your pet altered, no matter what. If not, then you're asking for a mistake to happen and therefore it's not really a mistake. I do think that it's bad to breed pedigree kitties with different non-pedigree kitties and basically be a backyard breeder because then it is disrespectful to the person that bred the purebred, plus it's just plain irresponsible because they are not respecting the individual breed.

Then again, when you think about it, there really isn't a "purebred" out there. They were all mixes at one point and time.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Coco came from a seal point siamese mom and my Sasha came a Russian Blue mom.
I have problems with people that do it on purpose just to make profit.
I am nit talking about people with mixed cats on here.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, this is becoming a big problem with the Ragdolls. It is started by breeders that don't S/N and don't follow up for enforcement. We S/N all kittens but all you have to do is look in the LA times on Sunday.

We got a call from a guy that was willing to pay $1000 for Stud Services from my male to his DLH.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

Unfortunately, this is becoming a big problem with the Ragdolls. It is started by breeders that don't S/N and don't follow up for enforcement. We S/N all kittens but all you have to do is look in the LA times on Sunday.
I have wondered about this in my area. I've been seeing a lot of what look like really poor ragdolls and have seen breeders advertising in the local papers occasionally. I wonder if my own Sherman is out of that some how as he acts and looks like a poor quality ragdoll. I don't consider him anything other than "fluffy".

Unless a cat is a registered purebred or came from such stock you just have a DHS/DMH/DLH. I think shelters using breed names to label their cats by is part of the problem.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, but I do my best to educate where I can. There are many backyard breeders out there getting "purebred" cats from each other to breed. The reputable breeders will neuter/spay when the kittens are 3-4 months old before they go to their homes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Unless a cat is a registered purebred or came from such stock you just have a DHS/DMH/DLH. I think shelters using breed names to label their cats by is part of the problem.
I agree that's part of the problem.

You cannot call it a breed mix unless you know one parent was of that breed. A long hair shelter cat is not a MC mix etc.

I usually just sigh and shake my head when I read, he's a XXX breed mix we got him from a shelter.

Raggie BYB's are a big issue over here, if everyone spayed/neutered before placing kittens it couldn't happen. But that is up to each breeder to decide, cannot make them practice early neutering.

Originally Posted by mismaris777

I look at it this way- how do you think that breeds are created? They are created by crossing different 99% of the time.
Breeders creating new breeds, still have to register with a governing body and have a clear goal/breed standard to work towards. It's not just crossing breeds or moggies and selling high priced kittens.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen several cats in the HHP category at shows who are (known) crosses of two different breeds from accidental litters.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regardless of species, deliberate crosses are done to set type, enhance a characteristic such as increase milk production (cows, goats), fix wool quality (sheep), increase speed (horses). Also, oops babies happen by the same token - I have a horse who is an oops babym fortunately he was registerable (DNA typed) and did his stint on the track. From what I have read, cat breeding isnt much different, type has to be set as do characteristics, and any registered animal is just one oops away from producing unregisterable offspring and the oops can happen in a split second.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Regardless of species, deliberate crosses are done to set type, enhance a characteristic such as increase milk production (cows, goats), fix wool quality (sheep), increase speed (horses). Also, oops babies happen by the same token - I have a horse who is an oops babym fortunately he was registerable (DNA typed) and did his stint on the track. From what I have read, cat breeding isnt much different, type has to be set as do characteristics, and any registered animal is just one oops away from producing unregisterable offspring and the oops can happen in a split second.
Oops babies aren't the biggest part of the problem it's the people breeding Domestic LH/SH on purpose. Ragdoll/Persian & Ragdoll/Tonk crosses are big here at the moment and would you believe people pay twice as much for them as a registered pedigree?

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Oops babies aren't the biggest part of the problem it's the people breeding Domestic LH/SH on purpose. Ragdoll/Persian & Ragdoll/Tonk crosses are big here at the moment and would you believe people pay twice as much for them as a registered pedigree?
I would believe it, remember, I come from the horse world where the biggest scam going is the Gypsy Vanner which is a hairy, spotted cart horse and sell for thousands of dollars and are nothing but the horse version of a mutt - they sell for meat price in Great Britain and are shipped over here and people will pay 30,00 US dollars for one of those nasty looking, ill-comformed things, and even more if it has balls and is black and white. Scrub stock going at those prices when good, broke registered stuff goes cheap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Sk_pacer - I am in western Canada too! And I have a horse, but I have just sold her...

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

You hear someone talk about their half-purebred, half DSH kitty?
I absolutely hate that. Specially if the new owner of the cat brings it out constantly that his/her cat is half-this'n'that like it's supposed to make the cat somehow better (or even worse, keeps calling the cat i.e. 'Ragdoll' if it's a mix with possibly some ragdoll in it). IMO it's just the opposite, I think automatically that the cat is bought from a BYB on purpose and that is something I do not accept. If someone tried to sell me a cat as a half-something, I would never buy it. If the cat was sold as 'a regular DSH/DLH', it would be much better.
Our domestic cats have remained quite pure, and I hate it when people are ruining it by mixing it with other breeds.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont understand why people are willing to pay so much for them, as they are effectively moggies, just with one/two pedigree parents. But, while people are willing to pay silly money for them, people will keep doing it.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It doesn't make me angry at all.

A cat is a cat, and a crossbred cat's more likely to be genetically healthy anyway. I used to breed Persians and let me tell you, I saw the effects of inbreeding in cats I bought as breeders from supposedly reputable catteries.

As for "overpopulation", a cat is a cat, again. I don't see what's so much worse about breeding a non purebred cat vs a purebred cat. It's still another litter, whatever opinion one might have on that.

There will ALWAYS be unwanted pets, sadly, no matter how much we restrict them, and demonising everyone who decides to breed their animals is just what the animal rights extremists want us to do.

has anyone ever read this?

http://tebreezcockers.com/page28.html