Does It Hurt?

clarabelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
North Mississippi, just far enough away from MELVI
You need to read the horror stories from hospital emergency rooms

If you are in an emergency situation and need a tube or tubes forced down your throat, depending on placement and how large the piercing jewelry is you will not be with us very long
. There is no room to place the life saving devices in you.
ANother thing is what kind of career do you plan on

Piercing can change that for you, so think long and hard on what is most important in your life

Clara

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a trained pro piercer, though I am not presently employed at it. I did it for several years. A lot of the pain from the actual piercing depends on if you have a gentle piercer. Some of them will clamp down hard, and that is really not necessary. You only need enough clamp to hold the tongue straight and only need pull hard enough to put end tension on it. There is no need to stretch it. A rubber band will close the clamps enough to hold it correctly and not bruise your tongue.
Most of the discomfort comes in the days following. There can be some swelling and tenderness. Ice and Advil can help a lot. A new, soft toothbrush will also help care for ir without adding discomfort or the bacteria present in old toothbrushes. A non-alcoholic mouthwash is best. Some people recommend Listerine, but it can be very harsh to a new piercing. Alternating mouthwash rinses with sea salt rinses (1/4 tsp to 8 oz. of water) will do a lot toward healing, which takes about a month, but the discomfort usually only lasts a few days.
I have never heard of anyone having damage to their taste buds. I have heard of happening, but have never actually met anyone that it has happened to. Chipping of teeth does happen. Stainless steel or titanium is best for a new piercing, but once it has completely healed, and you change to a shorter ber, you can use acrylic beads to reduce the chance of tooth damage. There is a new kind of barbell made of Teflon, but even though it is perfectly safe, a lot of piercers don't use for some reason. It can be used in a new piercing, too.

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I hear dentists are thrilled people are getting their tongues pierced because the piercing can chip teeth
LOL
gotta laugh at that one.
As a dental student we aren't allowed to have tongue piercings!!!

I had my bellybutton pierced, it hurt like mad then it got infected. Never again, ears is as daring as i'll go

kitkatz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Yup, it sure does, I have chips from mine. The noise drove my sister mad.
My cousin does that to. Drives me nuts.

She says it drives her bf nuts while performing acts on him

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my labret pierced and it didn't hurt one bit! I know that tongue piercings can give you a speech impediment, or can hit a major nerve and make you bleed like crazy. If I ever got another piercing, it would be my nose or belly button.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lover

I got my labret pierced and it didn't hurt one bit! I know that tongue piercings can give you a speech impediment, or can hit a major nerve and make you bleed like crazy. If I ever got another piercing, it would be my nose or belly button.
I almost would get it piereced if I could have my tongue numbed w/ something. Would ambesol work? Just the thought of it hurting is the part that is scaring me away
The girl I go to break with is going next week, and I told her I want to go to see it done. Do they poke the needle thru so fast you dont even feel it go thru, is that why people say it doesnt hurt in the initial piercing? bell button rings are cute, but I am ticklish, and dont think I could have someone touch my belly button, yet alone poke it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
take that back .. decided I dont want one

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have mine pierced, had it done over a year ago. It doesn't hurt at all! They seat you in the chair, mark your tongue (sometimes they have you lift your tongue up to make sure there aren't any major veins in the way) and then clamp it, and take the needle out and just stick it through, they keep it clamped and take the needle out and insert a large barbell to allow for swelling, then they must screw the ball on, which could take a while depending on how large the piercers hands are. It could start swelling that hour, or the next day. You usually can not talk very well for about a week, and can't eat most food, spoons and forks are hard to get around it seems, and you may wonder how you will ever be able to eat again! Suck on ice chips to help with the swelling and take some ibuprofin or motrin, also try not to play with it much or it will get irritated. Tongue piercings are healed in about 2 weeks.
I also have my belly button pierced, it hurt much more then my tongue. Beware with both these piercings, if pierced to shallow, your body could reject it, my belly button which I have had for 2 years, is being rejected still, which means the barbell is getting closer and closer to the top layer of skin. If this happens to much soon it will fall right out. Tongue rings need to be pretty far back as to not be seen at a job and so they don't get rejected. You can also get what is called a retainer, they are usually plastic and have a flat head, so they can not be seen.

Basically just make sure you find a reputable piercer, no matter how much it costs.
I am sorry for writing so much, if you have any more questions feel free to message me!

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got mine done 2 years ago. It hurt worse with clamping then it did to actually pierce it. My tongue doubled in size and I couldnt eat much for a few days, but I didnt have any other problems. Just make sure you follow the directions to the letter!!! Or you can end up with a nasty infection. I also have my belly button and nipples (can I say that on here?) done and neither one hurt that much. The tattoo on stomach hurt worse than anything else I've had done. I say go for it..its only a temporary pain.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Clarabelle makes a very valid point. I have had multiple ear piercings for years and years (some as long as 20, others like my cartilage for at least 10). I always have liked them, but at my latest job, I was asked to only wear a single earring. I do now, and it's funny, because now I hardly miss wearing my other earrings, so much so that often I don't even bother with them on the weekends. More exotic piercings are out, depending on your career. It really is something to think long and hard about.

As to the tongue people who constantly 'click' and play with the stud, it is one of my pet peeves. Drives me up the wall.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I hear dentists are thrilled people are getting their tongues pierced because the piercing can chip teeth
Nevermind the dentists! What about the poor pharmacy assistant that has to understand mumbledrunktalk because someone has pierced their tongue!

Okok...I only ever see the people with tongue piercings that have gone wrong.

But think of this....the tongue has a heck of a lot of nerve endings in it. (That's why babies tend to put things in their mouths, they get a better feel.) So logically, it's going to hurt!

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As to the tongue people who constantly 'click' and play with the stud, it is one of my pet peeves. Drives me up the wall.
Is one of mine too, thats why I make the conscious effort to never do it. I also speak clearly and have excellent teeth--and I have a larger barbell (8 guage I believe--its about the size of a wire coat hanger in diameter) most people dont even know I have one because it is extremely short ..there are exceptions to every rule.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to the tooth chipping, there are numerous cases of the tongue jewelry slipping out and choking the wearer.

MY question is: WHY pierce your tongue? Its not as if this an area which shows off your jewelry, to advantage. Sticking your tongue out at people is rude.

Ears, I have no problem with but, I prefer to keep needles away from sensitive intimate body parts. As for facial decoration - I'll stick with makeup.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abby7625

It is supposed to bring greater pleasures to your partner.
Stick a marble in your mouth. Less permanent and painful.....