Does it ever get easier?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a very very bad morning. I stopped in to the shelter to pick up some informatino on one of our cats. The volunteer that was there asked me to check on one of the kittens. He was fine, but I found 2 of his siblings far away from mom & cold. Both had gunk all over their face, one also had litter crusted over his mouth. They were just over 2 weeks old. One of them I called Tank as he was the largest of his litter up until this past weekend. Tank passed inside my shirt this morning as I was trying to warm him back up. His brother was just hanging on when I dropped the whole family off at the vet this morning. I don't think he is going to make it. The other 2 looked strong so far. My question is, does it ever get easier when you lose one? I've been doing shelter work for 9 years. It just always hurts so much, does it ever get better?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it doesn't get easier. When it doesn't bother you anymore you know you're burnt out & it's time to step back.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I do not think it ever gets easier to handle seeing a cat or kitten pass. I have been doing volunteer shelter work on and off for twenty years. In the last six months, I have had more time in my life to devote to helping at the shelter and fostering. Each life is precious to me and when one dies for whatever reason, I still cry and it breaks my heart
. Sometimes it is almost to much to bear and I don't think I can do it anymore, but I always go back because there are SO many positive outcomes. And the positive/ happy endings outweighs the negative/final outcomes IMO. I am sorry to hear about those kittens
You are doing a great thing and we need people like you in the shelter's helping the cats.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ALWAYS admire people like you...I also believe you have to be very strong to help and deal with injured or sick or neglected animals..I would imagine since there will always be animals in need it would never get easier..Until people care enough to stop letting their pets keep having unwanted babies..Or the owner that doesn't care enough to give an animal decent care...the demand for strong caring people like you will always be there..In my books your ppl are the best..
angel::

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So last night I did the only thing I knew to do. I took home a differnt mom & her 1 week old baby. I couldn't do anything for the 2 kittens that passed yesterday, but I can get this Mom & kitten out of the shelter in the hopes that they will not get sick. The other Mom is sick & so the 2 that passed got sick. They are all in another foster home, so I took the other new mom. I find that when I feel helpless it helps to be able to do something. So I did all I know how to do.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And you just have a natural calling for this, come what may, and that is always the right thing to do. I always look at it this way: If, sadly, we lose the ones we are desperately trying to save at least their last moments on this earth were filled with care, love, safety, comfort and kindness like they have never known before. Believe me, they know we are trying to help and more importantly, they will know what it was like to be, wanted and loved. OK, now I am crying
, it is still very, very tough, but I try to take my emotions out of it during that process so they just feel positive energy. I am sending you mega vibes for this mom and kitten you have taken in.