Does it bother anyone that the pre-mixes say to mix with any meat?

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chicken breast has different nutrients than rabbit thighs or turkey drumsticks. So why do the premixes (Like TCFeline) say to just add to meat as though all are equivalent?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the presumption is that as long as you have muscle meat the premix will balance out the calcium to phosphorous ratio and take care of all of the essential nutrients. But you're right -- I change my recipe based on the muscle meat I'm using sometimes so I don't know if I would do a one-size-fits-all premix. This is why I prefer to use my own supplements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess the presumption is that as long as you have muscle meat the premix will balance out the calcium to phosphorous ratio and take care of all of the essential nutrients. But you're right -- I change my recipe based on the muscle meat I'm using sometimes so I don't know if I would do a one-size-fits-all premix. This is why I prefer to use my own supplements.
I am with you! Or at least, I will be once my supplements arrive.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible to formulate a pre-mix so that it will nutritionally balance any of the proteins commonly used at home. It's just a matter of providing enough of a nutrient to satisfy the need of the protein with the lowest amount of the nutrient without exceedong any known maximum when used with the protein containing the highest amount of the nutrient

That's what I do with my diy pre-mix. Not hard if you keep your ingredients simple.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is possible to formulate a pre-mix so that it will nutritionally balance any of the proteins commonly used at home. It's just a matter of providing enough of a nutrient to satisfy the need of the protein with the lowest amount of the nutrient without exceedong any known maximum when used with the protein containing the highest amount of the nutrient

That's what I do with my diy pre-mix. Not hard if you keep your ingredients simple.
You know, not to be a fan girl, but someone else just posted about finding your recipes on here. I looked under "albums" on your profile but only saw the rabbit meal. I'd really like to see what else you're feeding. I'm still in the gathering information phase of preparing for a homecooked diet, but hope to start with Dr. Pierson's recipe when my supplements arrive this week.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a TCS that has most if not all of my recipes plus those of others: raw recipes

Most of the images got lost when the site switched hosts but you can still click on the links to get a pdf of my recipes. Hope they help!

Edit: Just realized, the link used in the posts is to a directory containing all the raw recipes I've posted on TCS.

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, not to be a fan girl, but someone else just posted about finding your recipes on here. I looked under "albums" on your profile but only saw the rabbit meal. I'd really like to see what else you're feeding. I'm still in the gathering information phase of preparing for a homecooked diet, but hope to start with Dr. Pierson's recipe when my supplements arrive this week.
Don't worry we are all fans of mschauer mschauer . :)