does going and coming affect my cat

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, 

I've had Cotton my little 12 week old Persian mixed breed for almost 3 weeks now, she's my first cat ever. This is the first weekend since I've had her where I've worked all week. The thing is, that I used to go to the gym (my membership is still active). Plus I used to have an active social life. 

but since I work 8 hrs a day, I feel guilty leaving her to go to the gym, or another outing in the evening. So my question is, which is better, if I go to out immediately after work, leaving her alone for a longer stretch of time, and then just sitting with her. Or shall I come back, play, feed and then go out?

I even noticed now in the weekend, I've had several errands, so I feel like when I come in and she sees me, she wants me to stay, so when I leave again, it feels like I broke her heart more than once..

Please help! 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know from raising my own little kitty, kittens need attention and stimulation from their humans.  You sound like you are younger than I, and always on the go, which you should be.  

With that said, I'm glad you gave this time life a forever home, but if you are very active keep in mind,  a small kitten may not have been the best choice, and I mean it's not fair to either one of you.  An older cat who is used to having and enjoying his alone time may have been a better choice.

Please don't feel bad.  I'm hoping that there are other members who life a similar lifestyle - will lend their suggestions to you as to how you can fit quality time into your schedule for sweet Cotton, that way, you can enjoy your time - again, as you should, and Cotton will be satisfied and not lonely or depressed.

Please keep us posted on your situation.  

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens (and to a somewhat lesser extent adult cats) do require attention.  Kittens do best in pairs because of this; but they still need to interact with their humans so they are "socialized."  DH and I adopted our two as 10/11 week old kittens (they are litter mates) and they were about 4 when our first was born.  For those first 4 years it was just DH and I around most of the time. We are pretty quiet, low key people.  So that was what they were used to.  Needless to say; they still don't appreciate all the kid noise around our house now.  I don't know how different things would have been; but I do wish I'd exposed them to young children more than we did.  

I don't know how active your life is; but I do think you will need to be sure you put her in your schedule.  I think if you are going to the gym after work for maybe an hour or so; then go there and come home.  But if you want to say go out for a few hours; it would be better to go home and make sure her needs are met. Have a good play session with her till she's tired.  She probably does sleep a lot while you are gone; so keep in mind.  Cats who don't get to burn their energy off during the day are more likely to burn it at night; while you are trying to sleep!  

I don't think you have to "give up" your social life; but adding a pet changes priorities a bit so you might need to make adjustments for that.  (Which it sounds like you are trying to do.) 
  I do think a playmate would help; but it won't replace you that much.  If you consider that; consider the extra food, litter and vet costs as well.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies, I am starting to think of getting her a playmate, though as you said, the cost and care will double. Plus I believe I have to get her neutered first if it's going to be a male which is an expense in itself, and I need to ask my vet if I need to stay at home with her for a few days till she gets better after the surgery.

I'm trying my best to prioritize her, and manage my schedule around her sleeping times. Usually when I come back from work she's so full of energy and just wants to play, but then around evening time she wants to nap again. 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you all for the replies, I am starting to think of getting her a playmate, though as you said, the cost and care will double. Plus I believe I have to get her neutered first if it's going to be a male which is an expense in itself, and I need to ask my vet if I need to stay at home with her for a few days till she gets better after the surgery.

I'm trying my best to prioritize her, and manage my schedule around her sleeping times. Usually when I come back from work she's so full of energy and just wants to play, but then around evening time she wants to nap again. 
Spay females, and Neuter males...

That would be great, and it would save yet another life and you could get your me time in and have a little freedom.  Sounds like you're figuring it all out.  

Keep us posted.  Any pics of your sweet Cotton ball. LOL

Best to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@2cats4everLoved thanks for the clarification [emoji]128536[/emoji] Here's a pic of my little Cotton ball (she's also in my avatar)

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you give us updates of this sweet little Cotton ball. LOL that face is too precious for words.

May I suggest you introduce her in the section, New Cats on the Block?  Members would go nuts for her, and no doubt if you mention her little behavior issue in the introduction, you may get more answers.

She's very sweet.  I have a feeling it will all come together for you both.

Thanks for the pic.