Does Feliway really work?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't know what vet appointments are like in your area, but she is over a year old (?) so certainly not too young to spay. Does she go into heat that you have observed?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our closest vet has her on the list to get spayed in October, but they said it could be pushed as far back as November. I’m wondering if we should try to attempt to go somewhere else that could get her in sooner because it’s going to be very hard to wait that long.
I think that would be a good idea and give you peace of mind especially with your pregnancy and upcoming birth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The main problem is she gets scared super easily of loud noises now. We have stairs in our apartment, and a problem that I’ve done two times now is fall down the stairs. The first time was back in May before she and Midnight fought, and she thought nothing of it. That time the fall was more serious, and I fell all the way down 10 steps. I just fell down the stairs again because my foot folded up underneath me, and I slid on my bottom for about 5 stairs. It did make a loud noise, but not as loud as the first time I fell down them. However, this time she reacted extremely different towards me falling. She puffed out and looked like she was going to attack me. Now not only am I in pain because my foot is hurting, I am walking on eggshells because I am worried she is going to attack me again.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that being further along in your pregnancy you felt more fear when you fell this time? If so, your fear would be communicated to the cat, who would react by moving into defensive posture. You are afraid of something, so something in the house attacked you and will probably attack her. She can't see or smell whatever it was that pushed you down the stairs terrifying you. She is now totally terrified.

Give her time to calm down. Keep a duvet to hand to throw over her if she does freak out. Once you've covered her you can either let her work her way out, or wrap her in and put her in another room to find her calm again.

For your safety, I would suggest putting carpet or rubber or plastic gripping strips on those stairs. Even if you lose your deposit, I can't remember if you have a house or an apartment, it would be worth it to protect you and baby to be. You can nail those strips/carpet down with 3 inch nails, or carpet nails (larger head). Don't expect carpet tape to work, it doesn't.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought I would update everyone. We are getting Smoothie fixed as soon as possible because the vet says her hormones are completely out of whack. She has an extreme hormone imbalance that can only be fixed by getting her spayed. Hopefully this will be the answer to our prayers!!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you took the time to find out that there was something wrong with your kitty. Behind those hormones is the sweet kitty you all loved. hope that she soon returns to you.

kathy1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have used ComfortZone multicat after Feliway multicat became ineffective. We also used Peacemaker drops from Spirit Essences. They may have a different drop that can help with your situation. You can contact them on their website.
Does comfort zone work?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie is getting spayed in the morning. I am so ready, but nervous at the same time. She’s such a tiny baby. I know this is what’s best for her, but I can’t stop my worries.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's okay to worry, we can all relate when our cat's are having surgery but just remember getting her spayed is essential. It's best for both her and you. :heartshape:

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really need some comfort right now. I just picked smoothie up from the vet, and she is not acting herself at all. The vet said that she went after them like how she has attacked me before. She is in her carrier, and when she came out she didn’t even recognize me. She had her face pressed all the way against the carrier and was twitching. She is still twitching now that we are at home. She is looking around and sniffing, but is not herself at all. Before I left the vet I asked if this was normal. They said it is, and that she should be fine. However, there was another lady in the vets office that said she would be very worried if her cat was acting like this. Is it possible she is still high from the anesthesia if the surgery was done about 4 hours ago? She does not know me at all.

Attachments

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I know how hard it is to see them like this, but if the surgery was done so few hours ago then it is a pretty normal reaction to the anesthesia. Every cat is different, but when Mocha had her teeth pulled, it took her more than a day to shake off the effects of the anesthesia. She also ran from me and wouldn’t let me touch her which was very distressing when she came out of her carrier. I didn’t push it but let her hide and just checked on her frequently. Did they send you home with instructions for her post op care?

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I can totally understand your concern. Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours for the affects of anesthesia to fully wear off. I will list websites with more information related to the twitching you spoke of. The article says, "Shaking or trembling for the first night home can be a normal side effect of the anesthesia wearing off. It should resolve completely within 24 hours." Another website says, "If your cat is shaking, trembling or swaying when you get him home, he may just be stressed out and confused. Your kitty may not even recognize you or his home at first, so let him relax in an enclosed space for the next 12 to 24 hours until he's back on his feet." Scary but it seems to be a normal adverse reaction of the anesthesia. I would just keep a close eye on her and make sure she gets rest.
Pre- & Post-Operative Instructions - One of a Kind Pet Rescue
Shaking in Cats After Anesthesia

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it has to deal with her being out of it right now, but it is very sad to see her like this. I am unsure when/how to transfer her from the small carrier to the crate with the litter and food. I do really need advice on this because the carrier is way too small, and if she uses the restroom in there it will get completely all over her.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it has to deal with her being out of it right now, but it is very sad to see her like this. I am unsure when/how to transfer her from the small carrier to the crate with the litter and food. I do really need advice on this because the carrier is way too small, and if she uses the restroom in there it will get completely all over her.
You had said she was out and sniffing for a bit. So she is back in the small carrier now? I don’t know what her movement is like but can you just carefully pick her up and move her to the crate? I agree that it would not be good to have her in the small carrier for long.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You had said she was out and sniffing for a bit. So she is back in the small carrier now? I don’t know what her movement is like but can you just carefully pick her up and move her to the crate? I agree that it would not be good to have her in the small carrier for long.

She was never out of the carrier, she was just looking around and sniffing inside of the carrier. I am going to go ahead transfer her to the large crate. She is still very out of it.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was never out of the carrier, she was just looking around and sniffing inside of the carrier. I am going to go ahead transfer her to the large crate. She is still very out of it.
Sorry, I read that wrong. Yes I think thats best because it sounds like she may be out of it for several more hours so it will be good for her to have more room and access to the litter box. Poor kitty :alright:

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I read that wrong. Yes I think thats best because it sounds like she may be out of it for several more hours so it will be good for her to have more room and access to the litter box. Poor kitty :alright:

You are perfectly fine. She is severely out of it.

Attachments

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went and checked on her and somehow she managed to get stuck behind the carrier and between the litter box. She was just standing there with one leg in the litter and staring right at the wall. I attempted to get the carrier out but she decided to put her face inside and then crawled inside of it and I could not get it out. She is currently inside of the carrier, and her butt is facing out towards the opening. She is just standing there because I think she believes she is stuck again. I’m leaving her alone for a little to see if she can get out of the carrier by herself and then I’ll be able to get it out.