Does Feliway really work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On the paper the vet gave me, they mentioned nothing about food and water. Since she was spayed around noon today and I picked her up at 4 pm, when will be the appropriate time to at least put some water in her crate. I feel ridiculous asking this question. I feel like I should already have water available to her, but she’s so out of it I’m afraid she would get her head down in it and wouldn’t be able to get it out.

rylee1494

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went and checked on her and somehow she managed to get stuck behind the carrier and between the litter box. She was just standing there with one leg in the litter and staring right at the wall. I attempted to get the carrier out but she decided to put her face inside and then crawled inside of it and I could not get it out. She is currently inside of the carrier, and her butt is facing out towards the opening. She is just standing there because I think she believes she is stuck again. I’m leaving her alone for a little to see if she can get out of the carrier by herself and then I’ll be able to get it out.
It seems like she is still very confused. But yes I think you should be fine just leaving her for a bit to see if she is able to get out herself. Hopefully if she develops the urge to use the littler box, drink/eat she will just come out when she feels like it.

rylee1494

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On the paper the vet gave me, they mentioned nothing about food and water. Since she was spayed around noon today and I picked her up at 4 pm, when will be the appropriate time to at least put some water in her crate. I feel ridiculous asking this question. I feel like I should already have water available to her, but she’s so out of it I’m afraid she would get her head down in it and wouldn’t be able to get it out.
Not a dumb question! Maybe try putting a small bowl/dish of water by her and monitor to see if she is thirsty and goes near it. As long as it’s a small amount to where she wouldn’t leave her head in it and be submerged.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went and checked on her again. She got out of the carrier, but when I came into the room, she attempted to climb on top of the carrier and got stuck. I know have the carrier outside of the crate.

She is very wobbly on her feet. She can barely stand. I put some water in there, but she didn’t even notice the water and almost stepped right in it. Then she almost fell trying to figure out how to get over the water bowl. I had to get the water bowl out.

An improvement though is that now she can meow. She meowed at me twice while I was in there.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie seems to be walking better, but is still very disoriented. I tried to give her food and water again and she was not interested at all. Instead she tried to walk behind it, and almost knocked it over. She also has these two wet lines on her nose. What is this being caused by?

Attachments

rylee1494

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie seems to be walking better, but is still very disoriented. I tried to give her food and water again and she was not interested at all. Instead she tried to walk behind it, and almost knocked it over. She also has these two wet lines on her nose. What is this being caused by?
It’s good that she’s making some progress. It sounds like she’s still too loopy to notice food/water. I am not sure about the two wet lines on her nose. Maybe there’s something on google about it. Hopefully she will be quite improved by tomorrow.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie is doing awesome this morning besides the fact that she has discovered her stitches and now wants to lick them constantly. I went to the vet this morning to get her a cone, and they said instead of me buying a cone I should just use a paper plate, cut a hole in it, and tape it together and if it breaks, I can just use another plate. I just hope this works cause I’ve never heard of it before lol.

Went to the store and also bought some non-stick wound pads, gauze roll, and paper tape in case the paper plate doesn’t work. Could I use this to cover her stitches or would it fault the healing process?

rylee1494

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie is doing awesome this morning besides the fact that she has discovered her stitches and now wants to lick them constantly. I went to the vet this morning to get her a cone, and they said instead of me buying a cone I should just use a paper plate, cut a hole in it, and tape it together and if it breaks, I can just use another plate. I just hope this works cause I’ve never heard of it before lol.

Went to the store and also bought some non-stick wound pads, gauze roll, and paper tape in case the paper plate doesn’t work. Could I use this to cover her stitches or would it fault the healing process?
Good to hear she’s doing a lot better! I just found this online “If your cat panics with the plastic cone on or keeps slipping it off, you can try something else to keep him away from those sutures: a soft cone, inflatable “donut” collar, onesie, bandage, or bodysuit, depending on the location of the incision.” So yes I think if the cone doesn’t work you could try the gauze (as long as whatever you secure it with doesn’t actually stick to the sutures/incision).

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smoothie has ate twice now, but still has not drank any water. It’s going on two days since she’s had any water.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got some water into her system by giving her a wet food treat and adding water to it so it was more like a soup. She still has not used the bathroom yet, so I hope she will soon. I just know she is in pain. Her body temperature feels lower than what I am used to. I wonder if this is due to the pain she is in.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as she’s getting water from her wet food (and adding water is a great idea), I wouldn’t worry about her not drinking from her water bowl. I’ve had one of my cats for four years, and I’ve actually never seen her drink! But I feed only wet food and add water to make it soupy so I’ve never worried about it.

If she hasn’t used her litter box by tomorrow morning, I’d call the vet. Anesthesia slows down the system but things should be getting back to normal. Did they give you pain meds for her?

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since the vet did not give me a cone, I have constantly been trying to find ways to get Smoothie to stop licking. Nothing stops her. Not the paper bowls, not the paper plates. I am literally so aggravated because even with a big paper plate around her head, she can somehow manage to lick the stitches. I am at a loss on what to do. I tried to wrap gauze around it and she ended up pulling it off. I tried to put clothes on her, and even that did not work. Nothing I am doing is stopping her from getting to the stitches. The only way I can stop her is if I am with her, and manually have to stop her. This means when I’m asleep or if I leave the house, she has free range to lick the stitches because even if I have a makeshift cone around her head, it doesn’t stop her. Does anyone have any advice? I feel like I’m going crazy.

amarshall0919

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I figured out how to stop her from licking the stitches! I just made the plate bigger lol. However, she just attempted to eat some kitty litter that was clumped together by pee. Now she has never done this. I am quite confused.