Does certain kinds of litter cause issues? Whats the best litter for cats??

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi so I've made a few posts regarding my cat with cystits and I want to try everything I can to help her! She still has this issue but its improving bit by bit.

I was wondering if cat litter can cause them issues? The vet never spoke to me about changing litter but I may try that to see if it helps. We mix 2 different kinds and ones scented, changed daily or 2nd day if we're feeling lazy and they don't stink at all so hoping to find litter that does that. Tia catsite!

Ilovekats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the litter can cause issues, the dust in it can cause issues. Try a all natural unscented kind. My cats use the brand called Earths Finest Litter.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since the thought is cystitis in cats is caused by stress, I wouldn’t want to change what you are currently doing but you add additional boxes with different options. Is the litter you are using a clumping litter? Most cats prefer an un-scented, clumping clay litter. Clumping litter also does not need to be changed every day - just scoop out the waste. Also, make sure the box is adequate in size. Most commercial boxes are way too small. The box should be 1.5 x the length of kitty (nose to start of tail)

Cystits can be frustrating for both you and kitty. Wishing you both the best of luck!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The scented litters can cause problems because the product that produces the scent usually produces a very fine dust as well. That dust can get in anywhere, not just the lungs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wacckky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The scented litters can cause problems because the product that produces the scent usually produces a very fine dust as well. That dust can get in anywhere, not just the lungs.
Thanks, I do use scented litter. The cystitis is probably from stress but im sure using the wrong litter doesn't help