Does Anyone Use Something Like A Placemat To Help Cleanup After Messy Eaters?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually feed pate and dry food at various times of the day. Recently, I bought some of the "and gravy" cans by mistake, and my perhaps too thin 3 year old cat seems to dig them more than other foods. So with her maybe being too thin, this might well be a permanent switch. Unfortunately, the mess seems to be even higher. This is digusting in the kitchen, because its the kitchen, but at least its easy to cleanup because of the floor. However, they sleep in the carpeted basement at night, and there the mess is particularly disgusting. Obviously, this isnt an entirely new issue to us, but we have never really done anything about it other than cleanup after cats. Anyone use something like a placemat, or have a different solution?

Thanks!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes. Abby keeps getting messier as she gets older and I have a placemat in the living room (which she still misses at times) and one in my kitchen.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I use the washable underpads in hotel rooms. You can get different sizes. I like the larger ones because I can put several food and water bowls out for my kitties.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I put a large serving tray under the food and water. That way if anything spills out of the food dish it is on a washable tray with a slight lip.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a Kitty Placemat, for Geoffrey. I picked it up at PetSmart. I had one for Artie, also.
I like it because I wash it every morning, with the dishes. It is a harder plastic.

You can pick up a regular, plastic place mat at Walmart, Target, or elsewhere. It does come in handy.

I have a silicon type one with edges, (again from Petsmart), which is under the water bowl. it keeps the spills from the floor.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am cheap. I use an old bath towel and after shaking it out, I throw it in the washer. All of my cats think they have to take the food off the plate and put it in the floor before eating.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm even cheaper, I use old newspaper and cut them up in quarter page as place mats. After my boy eats, I throw away the paper, no need to wash.

You can use half of full page depending on how messy it gets.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I saved some of my children's placemats and have used them for both cats and dogs. They are various sizes so whatever type of eater they are determines which placemat I use for them. Of course, the dog got the biggest one. 😉

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get silicone mats that are flexible, yet stick to the floor for wet food.
They just got a new water fountain that they love to paw around in. After mopping up again and again, I decided to try folded up disposable puppy pads. They at least soak up the water that lands on the floor. 😉

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. My Gramma bought Nobel a placemat as a kitten and he's used one since. When we moved out, we left it behind and he wouldn't eat for a day until she drove up with it.

Anyway, it makes clean up easy. We have a couple now to switch them out.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use cloth placemats I bought at Target. Only a couple bucks each, reasonably attractive on the floor, thick enough that nothing ever gets to the floor, and can be washed on hot. They get dirty/crusty after a couple days but I find I prefer cloth that will absorb a little than plastic that won't, bc when kitty steps in spillage that's just sitting on a mat, she makes an even bigger mess.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a laminate covered placement that can be wiped clean for her wet food. She has one of those rubber pet placemats with a raised border for her water.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Same with my Barley. There is never a day that there is no mess in the kitchen and I keep cleaning after him. Even when there is a placemat, he tends to scatter his wet and dry food. It gets frustrating at times.