Does anyone use a galvanized steel tub as a litter box?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Metal and urine don't generally mix from my experience. I've heard of air conditioner units rusting out from dogs peeing on them. The galvanized fins can be eaten away by the acidic urine. I don't see how a galvanized pan would fair differently considering how potent cat pee is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Foodie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again ;). I will let you know how it goes once I decide on a cat.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I ordered a steel box from Amazon, because the plastic one showed signs of ammonia corrosion and other stains.
Paid 40€ (they are 45-50$ on US site) and i will receive it on friday.
I was looking into ceramic and metal with enamel (like they used to make bathtubs), but found only one, round and pretty low 48cm diameter and about 12cm tall, very stylish but ultra-expensive, almost 200 bucks. I passed on it and searched for plain steel instead.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For porcelain over cast iron....an old antique shower pan.
Don't even try galvanized. Urine will eat through that FAST.
Bare steel? You might be able to watch it disappear.
Plastic seems, to me, to be the best option. When it gets scratched up and stained, just replace it with a new one.
Then again, the boxes I use are super stout and super cheap. So, replacing ever few months would be cheap. Just not had to replace one yet though.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plastic seems, to me, to be the best option. When it gets scratched up and stained, just replace it with a new one.
Then again, the boxes I use are super stout and super cheap. So, replacing ever few months would be cheap.
Replacing plastic every few months may seem cheap but it’s pretty costly for environment, so I really hope there are alternatives. I’d totally test the stainless steel available if only I could find the one with very high edges..

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Replacing plastic every few months may seem cheap but it’s pretty costly for environment, so I really hope there are alternatives. I’d totally test the stainless steel available if only I could find the one with very high edges..
Inox steel should be resistant to acids...
Yeah, stainless should work fine for a long time.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, stainless should work fine for a long time.
Mine says stainless steel, but you never know with chinese steel. 26 months Amazon guarantee keeps me at peace, though.
6"/15cm is not tall enough for some people I know.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd much rather hear a cat's toenails scratching on a plastic box's surface than on a steel box's surface. Seems like a metal or steel box would just make an awful "screeeee" sound from the scratching when a cat is covering litter. I don't have personal experience with metal litter boxes, though, just plastic.

Telstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'll tell you soon how does it sound. I'm not changing box until I get the new litter. But Gandalf's nails are not usually sharp cause I cut the top every 3 weeks (to preserve my legs, especially in summer).